What are possible reasons I am not hitting the ball straight?

NYCnoob99

Registered
1) It isn't eye dominance. I know this because I line up a straight shot, I know where to aim, and after I hit the cue ball I can immediately see that it is not traveling toward the center of the OB but rather on line to hit the OB left-of-center, for example. In other words, I know where to aim, but when I make my stroke, it doesn't go to where I was trying to hit it.

2) I don't think it is english. After all, I see the OB go on a bad line. It isn't like it is going straight at the center of the OB but then the OB takes a weird direction due to side english. I can see right away that the straight line the OB is taking is going left of center of the OB. I do suppose it could be squirt, where the OB goes off line due to unintended english. But I would expect for the swerve to make up for this since this happens on longer shots most often.

3) Could it just be some kind of physical mistake I make during the actual stroke? How would I figure out what that mistake is? I am super at a loss.

Thanks!

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Could it just be some kind of physical mistake I make during the actual stroke? How would I figure out what that mistake is?
Have you watched your stroke? Either in the lower periphery of your vision or even by looking straight down at it?

Try using a striped ball as your "cue ball", with the stripe vertical and aligned with your shot line. Try to hit it dead center and see if the stripe stays upright.

pj
chgo

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Search back a page or so for, Object ball slightly right. Lot of good advice there, except that yours is just the opposite.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Use piece of vertical cardboard sitting on table with hole cut in at appropriate height to use as a stroking practice device. The better you get, the smaller the hole gets. When you can stroke in and out like a sewing machine, without hitting the sides of the hole, you will shoot a whole lot straighter.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Use piece of vertical cardboard sitting on table with hole cut in at appropriate height to use as a stroking practice device. The better you get, the smaller the hole gets. When you can stroke in and out like a sewing machine, without hitting the sides of the hole, you will shoot a whole lot straighter.
Yep, you need to develop a consistent and reliable straight back and straight through stroke. Easiest way is to practice with setting up dead straight shots in the corner and making sure your shaft/tip follows through straight towards the object ball and the pocket as you hold the finish so you can visually see where your tip ends up, and you should pocket the shot. Unless/until you can do this consistently you have no chance. Sounds like you most likely have a swoop in your stroke (the cue veering off the straight line), either on the backstroke, the follow through or very likely both.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
1) It isn't eye dominance. I know this because I line up a straight shot, I know where to aim, and after I hit the cue ball I can immediately see that it is not traveling toward the center of the OB but rather on line to hit the OB left-of-center, for example. In other words, I know where to aim, but when I make my stroke, it doesn't go to where I was trying to hit it.

2) I don't think it is english. After all, I see the OB go on a bad line. It isn't like it is going straight at the center of the OB but then the OB takes a weird direction due to side english. I can see right away that the straight line the OB is taking is going left of center of the OB. I do suppose it could be squirt, where the OB goes off line due to unintended english. But I would expect for the swerve to make up for this since this happens on longer shots most often.

3) Could it just be some kind of physical mistake I make during the actual stroke? How would I figure out what that mistake is? I am super at a loss.

Thanks!
Can you shoot the cue straight in from a distance without an object ball. Most likely can. Twisting your wrist? Jumping up? No back swing pause? Want to do this right if you cannot figure it out...employ a (professional) stroke instructor.

NYCnoob99

Registered
I just realized it might be the lighting. I don't have a dedicated pool table light and the track lighting is not even on both sides. This casts shadows that are unbalanced and I noticed I miss more to one side from one side of the table and vice versa.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I just realized it might be the lighting. I don't have a dedicated pool table light and the track lighting is not even on both sides. This casts shadows that are unbalanced and I noticed I miss more to one side from one side of the table and vice versa.
You might get ahold of Gene for a skype lesson. If it's not the lighting, it might be an aiming error, I was having this problem and the lesson and some practice of the concepts fixed it for me.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
It can be anything throwing you off -- stance, balance, cue, etc. -- too many variables which are difficult to examine in isolation. If the hitch follows you from place to place, it's probably you. If you do not have a capable player available to evaluate your "stroke", then contact a professional instructor and follow his suggestions. The "cardboard hole" exercise I suggested above focuses on the end result of your stroke. I found and used this exercise years ago, before videos and instructors, and it helped me. But, I also had the benefit of many helpful suggestions from more experienced players in pool halls. I know Covid has everyone screwed up, but the "school of pool" available in most pool halls is a necessary element of learning the game of pool as well as the games of life.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... How would I figure out what that mistake is? I am super at a loss. ...
Make videos of yourself from various angles shooting a problem shot. If you can't see any mechanics problem maybe someone here can if you post the video. For all we know, you are having problems because you always put your left foot up on the bed of the table when shooting. We don't know.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1606175199532.png

Try shooting this shot. Both balls should be 1/2 inch off of the rail. This will give you a good visual to identify anything that is not in line. This is also a good shot to video so others on the forum can critique. Shoot this so the one ball is closest to the camera looking directly at the shooter.
If you have a Rempe cue ball, use it to determine if your chalk mark is contacting in the center of the cue ball. If you do not have the Rempe just use a measles ball or stripe to see any undesired rotation.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
View attachment 575760
Try shooting this shot. Both balls should be 1/2 inch off of the rail. This will give you a good visual to identify anything that is not in line. ...
A common problem with beginners (and occasionally more advanced players) is that when the cue ball is close to the rail, the unusual bridge and arm position causes their body to be turned from its normal position. When trying to test for things like alignment, I think it is better to test in the open table rather than against a cushion.

To make sure the shot is dead straight, you can put a donut at the "center" of the corner pocket (discussed in detail elsewhere) and under the cue ball. A donut can be placed precisely on line for the object ball by using either a laser or stretching a thread between the centers of the first two donuts.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

Thanks!
If your stroke is consistent and straight, the problem is probably with visual alignment. For help with this, see the videos and info here:
vision center resource page

If your stroke is not consistent and straight, the following resources can help:
"Top 10 Aim, Alignment, and STROKE DRILLS" video
stroke "best practices" resource page
Fundamentals tutorial page

Good luck,
Dave

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Place any ball on the head string and lag. Do not stand up, and hold your cue position once the follow through is complete. If you hit the CB true to center then it will hit your tip on the return trip.

This was the closest thing I ever did to a drill and it was during my snooker days. This will display any errors in your stroke.

Once you become decently proficient, then introduce two obstruction balls in the center of the table. Start off with them 1.5x ball diameter apart. Lag through them with the goal of the return trip also splitting the wickets. Decrease the gap as your skill improves.

enjoy

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A common problem with beginners (and occasionally more advanced players) is that when the cue ball is close to the rail, the unusual bridge and arm position causes their body to be turned from its normal position. When trying to test for things like alignment, I think it is better to test in the open table rather than against a cushion.

To make sure the shot is dead straight, you can put a donut at the "center" of the corner pocket (discussed in detail elsewhere) and under the cue ball. A donut can be placed precisely on line for the object ball by using either a laser or stretching a thread between the centers of the first two donuts.
Mmmm.
Donuts.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Well playing Pool is not easy if you want to be good at game. Buy, 99 Critical Shots in Pool, by Ray Martin, there is a section on hitting ball straight. Use is under $10.00, New is Under $15.00. If you mast the book, you will be answer questions............not asking.