what are the all-time greatest pool matches?

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks to the ones pointing out Earl vs Efren color of money match, I watched part 5 (the end) on YouTube. 3hrs of pure awesomeness.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was this the one at Steinway billiards...where the crowd is going nuts over a safety battle that earl keeps kicking out of and he goes and gets his ear muffs....

https://youtu.be/ifh9eavcGmk

I just recently got this exact 10 foot table, rails are still at earl's specs and it is tough.

No. They were playing 9 ball in the TAR match. I do believe it was at Steinway though. I think 2009 or 2010. First time they played a race to 100.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
The Efren "z shot" match. SVB vs Donnie Mills TAR match race to 100 RYO 9 ball. SVB vs Alex TAR match from 2008. I don't remember what they were racing to, but I remember it involves a crazy comeback. For 14.1 fans there was a TAR match between John Schmidt and Danny Harriman straight pool match to 400 points where they each ran over 100 twice. My buddy has it on dvd. Can purchase it for 6 bucks on the TAR on demand page which is still active.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No. They were playing 9 ball in the TAR match. I do believe it was at Steinway though. I think 2009 or 2010. First time they played a race to 100.

In the tar 10 foot match they played 10 ball somewhere in Ohio. Earl pulled off an upset- beat Shane something like 100-83

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the tar 10 foot match they played 10 ball somewhere in Ohio. Earl pulled off an upset- beat Shane something like 100-83

I went back and looked. Not sure why I thought it was 9 ball and at Steinway. Guess I am getting old.

Here is a link for anyone who would like to view the match.

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?387474&p=5044128#post5044128

It is certainly entertaining. You learn why Earl decided to use ear muffs and get to see him inspect racks with a magnifying glass. Right or wrong he is a character. I still believe he possessed the highest gear of anyone to ever play the game.

People after the match said the table was gaffed. They just couldn't believe Earl won.

Fer. Gutierrez.

Registered
🎥📹📽️🎥📹📽️🎥📹📽️🎥📹📽️🆘🆘🆘🆘🆘🆘🆘🆘🆘
ISO VINTAGE RARE POOL VIDEO 9 BALL
RAFAEL MARTINEZ VS EFREN REYES 90'S
BICYCLE CLUB TOURNAMENT

Attachments

• 48404546_2023264641297139_6503352197277810688_n~2.png
    48404546_2023264641297139_6503352197277810688_n~2.png
    145.3 KB · Views: 79

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My favorite to watch was Tony Chohan vs Josh Filler One Pocket in Roys Basement....Filler's shot making changed the strategy of One Pocket.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
I loved the match between CJ Wiley and Steve Mizerak...used to be on YouTube, but I think it got taken down. The best 10 ball ever played is Shane's lesson to Nick Economopoulos...

tomatoshooter

🎥📹📽️🎥📹📽️🎥📹📽️🎥📹📽️🆘🆘🆘🆘🆘🆘🆘🆘🆘
ISO VINTAGE RARE POOL VIDEO 9 BALL
RAFAEL MARTINEZ VS EFREN REYES 90'S
BICYCLE CLUB TOURNAMENT
Rafael Martinez is probably the most exciting player to watch. I like when the announcers are saying "he'll have to play a safety blah blah blah blah..." (Martinez makes bizarre shot...) "I didn't know that was an option." I don't think I've heard announcers gush over another player like they do for Martinez.

Reactions: bbb

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rafael Martinez is probably the most exciting player to watch. I like when the announcers are saying "he'll have to play a safety blah blah blah blah..." (Martinez makes bizarre shot...) "I didn't know that was an option." I don't think I've heard announcers gush over another player like they do for Martinez.
That little guy (Rafael) was one of the all time greatest shotmakers. He never ceased to amaze me with the shots he could pull off. Wonder where he is now. He has disappeared several times in his life just to re-emerge years later. Last I heard he was in the Northwest somewhere, probably living in a camper van or the like. Loved that little guy. He had the heart of a lion!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rafael is in Mexico. Does anybody have any footage of the Buddy Hall vs. Sammy Soto race to 100 match?
I wish him well. We had some fun running around together at the U.S Open about ten years ago. He knocked off a few big guns and managed to make the final twenty four (out of 256!). Cashed for 2K and I gave him half, after paying all the expenses. He was thrilled. I got my reward seeing him play so well.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I reached out to em bout a mth ago, no response. I assume he's still in Colima? Mexico.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
The most recent videos of Rafael playing that I am aware of are linked below of him playing down in Mexico (on a real slow table) a couple years ago where he lives now. I agree with tomatoshooter that Rafael might be the most exciting player to watch. For those not familiar with him he shoots fast, is extremely aggressive/offensive, loves to move the cue ball around many rails, and plays circus shots more often than he plays safe. Not playing the percentages properly was probably his biggest weakness but his talent allowed him to get away with a lot.