What did Herman Rambow & Ringo Starr have in common?

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
  1. The Secret Jam Session: Imagine a clandestine gathering where Herman and Ringo exchanged drumsticks, creating a fusion of rock ‘n’ roll and obscure rhythms. The walls echoed with their beats, and the moon itself tapped its foot to their rhythm.
  2. The Banana Conspiracy: Maybe Herman and Ringo were both passionate about bananas. Perhaps they founded the “Banana Enthusiasts Club,” where they discussed banana varieties, debated the merits of curved versus straight bananas, and even composed banana-themed songs. 🍌🎶
  3. Caveman Connection: In the lesser-known film “Caveman” (1981), Ringo Starr played the role of a prehistoric man named Atouk2. Could it be that Herman Rambow was the film’s uncredited banana consultant? After all, cavemen needed sustenance, and bananas were a primeval snack!
  4. Parallel Universes: Perhaps in an alternate reality, Herman Rambow and Ringo Starr collaborated on a groundbreaking album titled “Banana Beats.” Their hit single, “Yellow Submarine (Banana Remix),” topped the charts across dimensions.
  5. The Cosmic Drum Circle: Legend has it that Herman and Ringo met during a cosmic drum circle on the moon. They jammed alongside moon rocks, creating rhythms that resonated through the galaxy. Neil Armstrong even whispered, “That’s one small step for a drummer, one giant leap for drumkind.”

He was also the 6th Beatle.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
I knerw youze guys would start my day with a laugh, so thanks for that.

Maybe 10 or more years ago I scored an amazing Rambow cue from a guy selling his grandfathers stick and case on eBay (Why would he?). The pics he used were so bad but I was barely able to see the case appeared to be one of the really old Brunswick fishing pole conversion cases in nice shape but the stick really had my curiosity as it had his granddad's name in calligraphy but the wrap looked much like duct tape and again the pics were really bad with non-contrasting backgrounds and fuzzy. The auction didn't make his reserve and I was able to make him an offer he accepted after a few messages back and forth. In our correspondence he described the wrap area as a swirly silver plastic material, that was what I assumed to be the duct tape.

When the cue arrived I was intrigued with this most unusual wrap and posted about it a few times and actually found another similar one owned by another azb member and he was also curious about his. The mystery finally got solved when yet another esteemed azb member chimed in stating the material was very likely to be from the Lugwig drum company who like Herman Rambow, was based in Chicago. It made total sense and I went googling and sure enough, that exact same material was turning up on Ludwig drums. Herman must have worked out getting some of that material for his projects.

Last night someone sent me a rare short Beatles session from Germany which btw is fabulous. For a moment at the start then longer at the very end of the show the camera focuses in on Ringo's drum set close up where you'll see the material. Here's that link.

And here's a few pics of the cue wrap, case and some images of that material from Ludwig

Attachments

• 1942-Brunswick-case-sideview-open.jpg
    1942-Brunswick-case-sideview-open.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 126
  • Brunswick-carom-king-Ludwig-Pearl-3.jpg
    Brunswick-carom-king-Ludwig-Pearl-3.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 128
  • Brunswick-carom-king-Ludwig-Pearl-2.jpg
    Brunswick-carom-king-Ludwig-Pearl-2.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 127
  • Brunswick-carom-king-Ludwig-Pearl.jpg
    Brunswick-carom-king-Ludwig-Pearl.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 124
  • Brunswick-carom-king-wrap-closeup.jpg
    Brunswick-carom-king-wrap-closeup.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 125
  • Brunswick-carom-king-sticker.jpg
    Brunswick-carom-king-sticker.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 127
  • Brunswick-carom-king-nameplate.jpg
    Brunswick-carom-king-nameplate.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 128
  • 1942-Brunswick-case-top-close.jpg
    1942-Brunswick-case-top-close.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 122
  • 1942-Brunswick-case-nametag-window-2.jpg
    1942-Brunswick-case-nametag-window-2.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Maybe 10 or more years ago I scored an amazing Rambow cue from a guy selling his grandfathers stick and case on eBay (Why would he?). The pics he used were so bad but I was barely able to see the case appeared to be one of the really old Brunswick fishing pole conversion cases in nice shape but the stick really had my curiosity as it had his granddad's name in calligraphy but the wrap looked much like duct tape and again the pics were really bad with non-contrasting backgrounds and fuzzy. The auction didn't make his reserve and I was able to make him an offer he accepted after a few messages back and forth. In our correspondence he described the wrap area as a swirly silver plastic material, that was what I assumed to be the duct tape.

When the cue arrived I was intrigued with this most unusual wrap and posted about it a few times and actually found another similar one owned by another azb member and he was also curious about his. The mystery finally got solved when yet another esteemed azb member chimed in stating the material was very likely to be from the Lugwig drum company who like Herman Rambow, was based in Chicago. It made total sense and I went googling and sure enough, that exact same material was turning up on Ludwig drums. Herman must have worked out getting some of that material for his projects.

Last night someone sent me a rare short Beatles session from Germany which btw is fabulous. At the very end of the show the camera focuses in on Ringo's drum set close up where you'll see the material. Here's that link.

And here's a few pics of the cue wrap, case and some images of that material from Ludwig

cool story. not beautiful in any way, perhaps inspired by the UFO / space craze at that time. what exactly is the swirly silver material?

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
cool story. not beautiful in any way, perhaps inspired by the UFO / space craze at that time. what exactly is the swirly silver material?
It's like a plastic with a laid up fiberlassy aspect with the strips and all.

Last edited:

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member

Last night someone sent me a rare short Beatles session from Germany which btw is fabulous. At the very end of the show the camera focuses in on Ringo's drum set close up where you'll see the material. Here's that link.

Great story and show from the Beatles. I wonder what year that was from?

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
never saw that wrap on any cues but thats on me.

another thing about rambow cues is his use of the thin white ring on the butt. since it was on hoppe cues which he designed but people still call it a hoppe ring. had nothing to do with hoppe or brunswick it was a rambow design he used on many of his cues.
possibly on other makers from before his time.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Last night someone sent me a rare short Beatles session from Germany which btw is fabulous. For a moment at the start then longer at the very end of the show the camera focuses in on Ringo's drum set close up where you'll see the material. Here's that link.

nice cue
great story
tremendous blast from the past
what i found funny
was john introducing this song saying
and now we are going to sing ....nowhere man in E
as if the band didnt know what key it was in......😂😂😂😂