What Do You Look For in a Pool Instructor

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Come on PJ, double o 7 never said he can do that
It's spelled "007" or in Ian Fleming's works, "Double-O Seven".

PJ forgot our multi-page thread where he came to understand he genuinely misunderstood my position. I'm delighted we cleared it up, sad his encroaching dementia made him forget.

You forgot to attend spelling in grade school.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Damn Jesuits made me take two years of Latin, lol.

But no, at least google translates says it’s right. Of course plus uno modo ut pellem felem.

Lou Figueroa
Leo
Libra is a noun! Unless you meant libras (you swing) Google translate doesn’t do so well at times. My one year (and only one thank Zeus) of Latin 4 decades ago doesnt remember a verb “to pound” come up in the memory banks. Google says terere or battuere for “to pound” or “to strike.” Not that I believe them. So I’d (most likely wrongly) suggest:

Is terere harena.

(You) go pound sand.

Unless that means one grain of sand. Otherwise harenae would be the plural. At least the form is sort of right. Imperative “go” is always a funny one that someone will tell me the rules . That imperative case is suggested as: tu terere harenae. It seems to be pretty consistent across translators. But I don’t remember doing imperative like this, but it’s been 8 lifetimes ago.

(Edit: it’s much simpler: Tere harenae!

Tere is the imperative of Terere . So the above is commanding someone: Pound sand!

Or

ite batere harenae - go (imperative) hit the sand)

Back to your regularly scheduled instructor questioning.

Last edited:

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
More of a koine Greek man myself, one year at university, so Latin is "all Greek" to me.

Dulce et decorum est . . . AZ!

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Libra is a noun! Unless you meant libras (you swing) Google translate doesn’t do so well at times. My one year (and only one thank Zeus) of Latin 4 decades ago doesnt remember a verb “to pound” come up in the memory banks. Google says terere or battuere for “to pound” or “to strike.” Not that I believe them. So I’d (most likely wrongly) suggest:

Is terere harena.

(You) go pound sand.

Unless that means one grain of sand. Otherwise harenae would be the plural. At least the form is sort of right. Imperative “go” is always a funny one that someone will tell me the rules . That imperative case is suggested as: tu terere harenae. It seems to be pretty consistent across translators. But I don’t remember doing imperative like this, but it’s been 8 lifetimes ago.

Tere is the imperative of Terere . So the above is commanding someone: Pound sand!

Or

Having to pound a single grain of sand may be the greater punishment anyway!

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member

Is terere harena.

(You) go pound sand.

Or

I haven't seen any Roman gladiators mulling around the streets, pool rooms, and fast food joints since developing personal awareness. Who cares about Latin beside the Pope? But there are a whole helluva lot of Hispanics multiplying daily where I
live and all throughout the country.

"Como esta usted?. Puedes cortar mi cesped?"

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Is terere harena.

(You) go pound sand.

Or

To my ear I think you’re right with either of those: ite batere harenae or tere harenae.

Lou Figueroa
lost the Latin
memory cells
long ago

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't seen any Roman gladiators mulling around the streets, pool rooms, and fast food joints since developing personal awareness. Who cares about Latin beside the Pope? But there are a whole helluva lot of Hispanics multiplying daily where I

If you’re hangin’ with the homies try: ir machacar la areana.

Lou Figueroa
then run

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

1684938867695.jpeg

Quid pro…

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
I'm still stuck on "how well should an instructor play?"

I think it's theoretically possible that a wheelchair bound quadriplegic could intricately study all aspects of the game and become an instructor worth listening to. But at the same time, I can't quite put my finger on why I remain skeptical that any instructor that's below say -- 600 FR could help me, or any advanced player, enough to justify paying for their services. Guess I'll try to put my finger on it...

I know that Fargo Rating list has been around for a while, and some of those ratings aren't fair but there are enough instructors with low enough ratings to entertain the question.

There seems to be only 2 reasons any of them could give for having a lower rating: 1. At some point in their pool journey they gave up on becoming an EVEN decent regional player and began coaching instead or... 2. They've continued playing and their instructor tool kit is limited to the point where it doesn't help their own game.

If 1 is true, I think there would always be at least some level of disconnect between what they are TEACHING as correct and what they KNOW as correct. If you haven't been to the mountaintop, describing it properly will always be lacking in detail. If you don't have a tried and true method that you have used to increase your own skill to a certain level, you will HAVE TO have some level of faith in someone else's technique that you pass on to your students. This seems less than ideal to me.

If 2 is true -- well that's just alarming.

A regressing rating is totally different to me and no cause for concern. That's just life.

So in my book the instructors that have played at a high level and communicate well -- I'd put at the top. Guys like Demetrius, Stan Shuffet, Beeler (just based on what I've seen here in the past few days), maybe someone like Allison Fischer, and Alex Lely, who I spent some time with a few years back.

Below them, you need to bring something to the table that compensates for not having reached the mountaintop, while still exhibiting that you can play respectably. This is where there's room for superior knowledge. Dr. Dave and Bob Jewett fit this bill, and I'm sure there are a lot of others. They both play well and I suspect above the 600 rating litmus that I've proposed (at least for myself).

Why 600? Maybe you could convince me to go down a little lower, but when you get around 600, that's when your pool eyes fully open up. Before that, it's hard to really distinguish good from great, and if you can't see the difference, how could you lead a player to greatness? There are things in life, you just can't comprehend unless you've experienced them. There are things I think I see when watching SVB play. Like little idiosyncrasies that I think could actually be flaws, but I guarantee if he was to explain how these things feel to him, it would be different and I would probably be the one learning something.

That's just how I see it.
Sorry, just saw this post.

I've had a student who paid $250 an hour from a TOP pro, several times monthly, for yaaars--I mean many years--and sucked. But they liked hanging with the (attractive) and famous pro, for sure.

Tiger Woods is awesome, but I'd always want to be instructed by his golf coach, despite a far lower skill rating.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Is terere harena.

(You) go pound sand.

Or

In Italy right now so I guess I have Latin on the brain — can’t swing a dead cat without hitting something with a Roman inscription on it.

Here’s a pretty famous one in Sicily.

Lou Figueroa

Attachments

• E2764ED0-1A8A-48F7-8B6F-F5317094DB2F.jpeg
    E2764ED0-1A8A-48F7-8B6F-F5317094DB2F.jpeg
    203.1 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's spelled "007" or in Ian Fleming's works, "Double-O Seven".

PJ forgot our multi-page thread where he came to understand he genuinely misunderstood my position. I'm delighted we cleared it up, sad his encroaching dementia made him forget.

You forgot to attend spelling in grade school.
PJ has Alzheimer's? I wasn't aware of that. Very sudden because he seemed fine just yesterday.
He can correct me if I'm wrong but if you're referring to the swooping thread I can't recall anytime he admitted to misunderstanding and/or agreeing to your position.
Actually, he as well as I, as well as Bob Jewett plus Fran Crimi and others were of the opinion that your position was ridiculous.
As to my spelling, it's usually pretty good and I spelled double o just as I meant to.
You've been burning the midnight oil the last couple days trying to do damage control.
Languages, and Bond and this and that, in an attempt to deflect attention from the primary issue.
You may be better off if you could refrain from insulting peoples intelligence.