What does pumping the cue over and over up in the air before their shot do for the pros?

Woodshaft

Do what works for YOU!
A lot of guys air stroke. And spin their stick in their hand, use excessive "body english", chalk excessively, shake their head for no reason, etc...
Like I said on page one, it pumps their adrenaline and SHARKS their opponent.
And by "sharking" I mean it makes their opponent think "WTF IS THIS GUY DOING?", which is a form of sharking.
ANYTHING considered unusual in a players routine is sharking.
This entire thread proves the "WTF" part btw.
Trust me, I know:cool:

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Consider this also--if you want to employ a little bit of unorthodox movement like backhand english or added wrist action on a regular stroke--you can feel it in the air in port arms position. You cannot really add a large backhand english movement to your practice strokes effectively.

In port arms position, I sometimes check my hand/wrist angle by feel and my elbow/upper arm angle as well, the weight of the cue coming down into the stroke hand--just sayin'.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
For myself, it’s not as infuriating as watching your opponent grinding his tip in a cube of chalk for 30+ seconds while considering how they are going to play their shot!
That is a fact. With reading the posts on this topic, I'm so glad that only the great players do the "in the air stroking the cue". Would be sickening (only to me I suppose) to see a Fargo 600 and below performing it.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I is visualizing the shooter stabbing out the liver or his opponent.

People used to have to pay for these pool secrets.
You are correct

“Paying your dues” really meant something back in the day. Now it has much less meaning and value. You still have to put in the effort, but the cost is lower for sure.

Fatboy<——-paid in full💪😃

Guddy

Almost every pro I've watched on TV has done this. SVB does it every time. I'm glad no one I play has this habit.
To keep their timing and rhythm while they are thinking about the next shot. Unlike many or most amateurs, they think and plan while standing up. When they are down on the shot it’s all about execution.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is a fact. With reading the posts on this topic, I'm so glad that only the great players do the "in the air stroking the cue". Would be sickening (only to me I suppose) to see a Fargo 600 and below performing it.
How would you react when someone told you your routine had a part that required elimination?

You know Eric it's such a simple game that everything has been talked about on this forum for years.
When I play at the room the first thing I do is wipe down the rails with a paper towel,amazing how blue it gets.
Should I start a thread on the method I use?
Ok here goes I start at the head of the table and wipe clockwise with my right hand I use a brown paper towel from the mens room dry,what's your method?
you seem fun

filerunner

Kind of like a batter swinging at air prior to batting, or a runner jogging in place at a red light. Keep that rhythm going. Also, to get your mind right as to speed and shot alignment before getting down on the shot.

markvl

W C Fields did that but his cue kept falling to the ground...
WC Fields was also a drunk. He is credited as saying "Who took the cork off my lunch" He was also what we would consider an open player today. He was a very good pool player.

Shape Shooter

Some people use the "air stroke" to get a feel for how fast or hard they will stroke the cue ball for that particular shot.

Hope that helps... & Apologies you had to read through so many Smart A-- answers.

Cris00009

I remember doing this when I played. Mainly i was looking for the smoothest side of shaft or even feeling for a dirty spot that might stop my stroke. If i found 1 id clean it with winded and a paper towel to smooth out and clean shaft. We always did the same when we got home from the poolroom..clean the shafts.

GT819

Why do baseball, golf tennis, racket ball, ping pong and other players take warmup strokes? Why do basketball players dribble the ball while staring at the hoop? Why do you take warm up strokes before tossing a wad of paper in a trash can? It's all about wrapping your head around what you're doing. If you don't understand it's OK to question, but don't criticize.

WilliamK

Registered
It's to look good and it serves no purpose other than that.
For those playing without a glove they can be trying to remove any condensation that may have settled on the glue that can cause friction/drag with the bridge. But if you see gloved players doing it... monkey-see monkey-do.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you don't understand it's OK to question, but don't criticize.
I'm not criticizing it, but I am curious if a pool instructor teaches this to his students.

Last edited: