What is "jimbos army" ?

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
for those that are reading this and have no idea what the JA site had to offer i'll opine that it was a waste of time unless you enjoy a constant stream of personal attacks of the foulest nature between a small group of regulars most of who had been banned from here at one time or another

iirc the founder was anti ban until he started banning members

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
for those that are reading this and have no idea what the JA site had to offer i'll opine that it was a waste of time unless you enjoy a constant stream of personal attacks of the foulest nature between a small group of regulars most of who had been banned from here at one time or another

It also had a private forum for cue makers that I enjoyed thoroughly . That section had big named makers participating because it was private .
Then one day, Jimbo got in there and started arguing . His claim to fame in making cues was he was in a few cuemakers' shop but never sold a cue he made .
He pretty much killed that section after that .
JA also had a real-time chat . There were some fun times there too .

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
It also had a private forum for cue makers that I enjoyed thoroughly . That section had big named makers participating because it was private .
Then one day, Jimbo got in there and started arguing . His claim to fame in making cues was he was in a few cuemakers' shop but never sold a cue he made .

Alex Brick's first shop was in my pool hall for 6 +- yrs until he moved to Nashville and focused on repair work out of JOB, i spent a lot of time with him and was confident turning the lights on and off after a few years.

imo a person isn't a "cuemaker" until he screws up at least 20 cues

that said i might have enjoyed the CM forum there

was Thomas Wayne an active member?

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To many Non Cue makers in that private section.
WAY TO MANY!

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Well said!

Reactions: JAM

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
rec.sport.billiards fat larry, made the entire Jimbos Army, seem like a bunch of freckle faced cub scouts to me.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I liked Jimbo -- didn't care for his online group much but I thought he was a good guy.

Anywhos, here's picture from his first get together in Connecticut with a lot of the usual suspects in attendance. I'm the guy at the bottom who looks like The Dog Whisperer (damn that Caesar Milan is a good looking guy.) And, a quick trip report from that era:

Jimbo puts on a first class event. If he holds another, I suggest you make every effort to go.

The thing that struck me was how well thought out it was and all the work and the attention to detail he put into it: the entry form with so many questions I thought for sure I was also subscribing to a dating service; the custom made T-shirts and hats everyone got; the very nicely printed name tags for everyone; the format and chips for the 10-ball ring games; the poker game; the break contests; all the prizes he managed to assemble; the non-stop food that came out of the kitchen all day -- bar munchies, pizzas, buffalo wings, salad, pasta, chicken fillets in a nice lemon sauce; and the cake and sing-along for Sherm's birthday.

whew! Jimbo, you da man.

Of course it was interesting to see what everyone looked like vs. whatever mental picture you had of them in your head. For me, most of you came out ahead in real life :-o

Sunday, Jimbo took Fred, Sherm, and I into NY to watch the World Summit of Pool. Jimbo made us all feel like wise guys: "he knows someone" and got us free train passes both ways; we get to Grand Central and "he knows someone" and gets us pass the ropes for free front row VIP seating (when ESPN broadcasts the final three matches, look for us sitting directly behind Mike Davis); during a break in the matches, he calls over to this striking looking girl and over comes Jennifer Barretta and she chats for 15 minutes (I couldn't help but detect a certain chemistry there between Jimbo and Jennifer -- Jim, I think she wants you); and finally, when we got back to Connecticut, "he knows" a little place serving late that a couple of buddies run. After dinner, back at the pool room, Jim was also gracious enough to show Sherm and I a couple of cues he owns.

All I can say is: wow. Thanks for all Jimbo.

Lou Figueroa

Attachments

• attachment.jpeg
    attachment.jpeg
    63.4 KB · Views: 210

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

So now they are in NPR? 🤣 🤣 🤣

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
I liked Jimbo -- didn't care for his online group much but I thought he was a good guy.

Anywhos, here's picture from his first get together in Connecticut with a lot of the usual suspects in attendance. I'm the guy at the bottom who looks like The Dog Whisperer (damn that Caesar Milan is a good looking guy.) And, a quick trip report from that era:

Jimbo puts on a first class event. If he holds another, I suggest you make every effort to go.

The thing that struck me was how well thought out it was and all the work and the attention to detail he put into it: the entry form with so many questions I thought for sure I was also subscribing to a dating service; the custom made T-shirts and hats everyone got; the very nicely printed name tags for everyone; the format and chips for the 10-ball ring games; the poker game; the break contests; all the prizes he managed to assemble; the non-stop food that came out of the kitchen all day -- bar munchies, pizzas, buffalo wings, salad, pasta, chicken fillets in a nice lemon sauce; and the cake and sing-along for Sherm's birthday.

whew! Jimbo, you da man.

Of course it was interesting to see what everyone looked like vs. whatever mental picture you had of them in your head. For me, most of you came out ahead in real life :-o

Sunday, Jimbo took Fred, Sherm, and I into NY to watch the World Summit of Pool. Jimbo made us all feel like wise guys: "he knows someone" and got us free train passes both ways; we get to Grand Central and "he knows someone" and gets us pass the ropes for free front row VIP seating (when ESPN broadcasts the final three matches, look for us sitting directly behind Mike Davis); during a break in the matches, he calls over to this striking looking girl and over comes Jennifer Barretta and she chats for 15 minutes (I couldn't help but detect a certain chemistry there between Jimbo and Jennifer -- Jim, I think she wants you); and finally, when we got back to Connecticut, "he knows" a little place serving late that a couple of buddies run. After dinner, back at the pool room, Jim was also gracious enough to show Sherm and I a couple of cues he owns.

Lou Figueroa
Good times, Lou. Your travel cue is still in my dreams! A whole lot of us old timers are in that pic. I have less hair now…

-td

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good times, Lou. Your travel cue is still in my dreams! A whole lot of us old timers are in that pic. I have less hair now…

-td

Good times for sure.

I also have less hair, with the remaining follicles having gone white. My theory is that the missing hair turned to fat and is now residing along my waistline.

Lou Figueroa

crww

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

whew! Jimbo, you da man.

Lou Figueroa

crww

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Lou

The RSB pic brought back memories. I was just to your left. If I remember right we did a little gambling at one pocket, somehow I won the breaking contest and handing the cash wining over to you, lol. I'll take that game again if you find yourself in RI.
PS I would love a copy of the pic to put on my wall in my pool room.
Craig

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Lou

The RSB pic brought back memories. I was just to your left. If I remember right we did a little gambling at one pocket, somehow I won the breaking contest and handing the cash wining over to you, lol. I'll take that game again if you find yourself in RI.
PS I would love a copy of the pic to put on my wall in my pool room.
Craig

Craig, I have no recollection of ever winning any money playing 1pocket : -)

If you can't drag the photo to your desktop PM me your email and I'll send you a copy.

Lou Figueroa

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Good times for sure.

I also have less hair, with the remaining follicles having gone white. My theory is that the missing hair turned to fat and is now residing along my waistline.

Lou Figueroa
Eh, rock that white hair. You still look like a dangerous MOFO with that cue in your hand! :)

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
Good times for sure.

Lou Figueroa
GOD gave some men hair, others brains