What is the fascination with the "measles" ball??

Shortside K

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Around here, it seems that a lot of people are fascinated with using the measles CB.

I don't understand it.
Yes, I know that it is being used a lot in the big tournaments, especially when they are televised.
And Yes, it does kind of look neat when a bunch of siding is put on the CB, but realistically, the shooter already knows what is going on with the CB and he's the only one that really cares.

I think we all agree that the measles CB plays differently than our regular CB. Why? This remains unclear and we all have our opinions.

Many, many people here have bought their own measles CB and want to use it all the time. They even bring it to local tournaments and expect their opponents to agree to use it in their matches. How silly is that? Why would any opponent want to bring a new variable into their matches?
Its so bad, that many of these guys that own the measles CB are offended when they are told that no one wants to use their "special" CB.

If I bring my own CB to a match (maybe I get one that is extra heavy, or extra light) should I expect everyone to accept using it? I think not.

Anyway, maybe someone can explain to me just why people think the measles CB is so wonderful.
:confused:

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It helps with video playback. When I record around the house, I play with the measle cue.

I guess they call it the "TV Ball" for a reason.

SPINDOKTOR

lool wtf??
Silver Member
I have two of them, I purchased one, it was bigger in diameter than the regular Brand new Aramith cue ball I was using, so I ordered another one from a different source, same thing.. They do play ok, no complaints, other than the larger size...

SPINDOKTOR

Shortside K

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
and your reasons for buying them??

SPINDOKTOR said:
I have two of them, I purchased one, it was bigger in diameter than the regular Brand new Aramith cue ball I was using, so I ordered another one from a different source, same thing.. They do play ok, no complaints, other than the larger size...

SPINDOKTOR

Still, you didn't give any reasons for buying and liking the measles ball.

Shortside K

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TX Poolnut said:
It helps with video playback. When I record around the house, I play with the measle cue.

I guess they call it the "TV Ball" for a reason.

(sigh...) I believe you...
But...
It would not.... EVER... enter my head to video tape myself playing a game of pool...

Never.... ever.... never...

av84fun

Banned
Shortside K said:
Around here, it seems that a lot of people are fascinated with using the measles CB.

I think we all agree that the measles CB plays differently than our regular CB. Why? This remains unclear and we all have our opinions.

I don't think it does. Are you aware of any scientific testing that suggests it plays differently? And differently in relation to what other cue balls.

I am genuinely curious about any ACTUAL physical playing differences...as opposed to those who like or dislike the spots.

Thanks,

Jim

Shortside K

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
av84fun said:
Shortside K said:

I don't think it does. Are you aware of any scientific testing that suggests it plays differently? And differently in relation to what other cue balls.

I am genuinely curious about any ACTUAL physical playing differences...as opposed to those who like or dislike the spots.

Thanks,

While I have not undertaken to scientifically test the measles CB (I'm not going to spend the $ to thoroughly test it) my personal feeling is that it plays "heavy".

i.e. It plays like it is significantly heavier than the standard Aramith Pro CB.
It tends to "over-run" position. With "top" it seems to keep going an additional distance, and with draw, it seems to take a stronger stroke to get it moving. However, once it gets moving... it doesn't want to stop.

Reasons? I have no absolute answers.

I didn't say I didn't like the "measles" CB,... spots or no spots. My question was about its attraction to so many people. It can't be just because you can see the spin when the ball is moving slowly.

Whoop - dee- doo. Go spin one of the "striped" balls out of the set of 15.

My 2 cents.

Regarding your statement that you don't believe the measles ball plays differently... I would like to know your skill level before I comment further...

StormHotRod300

BigSexy
Silver Member
i think the fascination with the "Measles" CB is that people who buy them and use them, like being able to see how the CB reacts to english.

And I think its like having a new cue or something, when you have it, you want everyone to see it, and use it.

I have the Measles CB and like using the CB, during practice. But I dont bring it to a tournament, or force people to use it while gambling.

When i first had the CB, i'd tote it around and if someone wanted to gamble or w/e, I'd just ask if they would like to use said CB. If they said no, oh well, no biggie.

But I think its one of those billiard products that most people see on TV, and they goto a pool hall, and either expect them to have the same CB's or expect people to want to use said CB.

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shortside K said:
But...
It would not.... EVER... enter my head to video tape myself playing a game of pool...

(sigh...) I believe you too.
When you live with someone that can run 100s playing 14.1, you may change your mind. I ought to post some of the stuff I have on video. I'm just too damn lazy.

Also, if you ever get around to trying trick shots, recording them and compiling them into a video may be something worth doing.

To each his own.:)

blackeee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Measles ball

SPINDOKTOR said:

SPINDOKTOR

I've got a couple in my room and have been playing with it for about 3 years. I can tell no difference whatsoever in size or weight. I just like to watch it spin. It also give instant feedback when practicing.

av84fun

Banned
Shortside K said:
av84fun said:
Shortside K said:

Regarding your statement that you don't believe the measles ball plays differently... I would like to know your skill level before I comment further...

Fair question but difficult to answer given the lack of any precise way to guage one's skill level...but let me try.

I am friends with 3 Top 10 WPBA pros including one...who will remain nameless but who is ranked VERY, VERY high. Against those players, I will generally get 5-7 games in a race to 9. (add 1 game for the pros other than the most highly rated of the 3)

Against my friend, Bobby Pickle who many know to be a TOP road player...and who beat Reyes in last year's DCC, I have recently won a majority of matches against him with the 5-7 so I think that the 6-7 is probably my speed against him.

My high run in 14.1 is 66 although I haven't played that game in YEARS and have improved considerably since then.

Finally, as far as CB control is concerned, I practice the following drill.

1. Place the OB in front of the side pocket jaws.
2. Place the CG an inch from the rail in front of the 2nd diamond from the foot rail.
3. Shoot that straight in shot and attempt to control CB travel in one diamond increments to a tolerance of the width of the CB.

I can routinely (90%) control the CB up to 4 diamond distance (the 4th diamond being the head rail) and up to 7 diamond distances within a tolerance of 2 CB widths.

I reverse that drill for draw shots and get 1-2 diamond distance control 90% of the time but fall off quite a bit after 2 diamonds.

That's the best I can do to establish my speed.

I understand and respect the reason you asked the question.

Having said that, I only recently bought a measle ball...and it was at the request of one of the top pros I mentioned above who was staying with my wife and me on her way to a recent WPBA event.

I noticed no significant difference relative to my Centennial CB...which is about 2 years old. With BOTH balls...for example...I can draw about a 9 diamond distance when the CB/OB are about 1 diamond apart with a normal playing condition stroke...not a MONSTER stroke.

There just was no noticealbe (to me) difference between the Centennial and the measle ball, nor did I have ANY trouble achieving the same follow/draw drill distance control as noted in the above example.

Finally, since the Arimith Pro Cup measle ball is made by Saluc in Belgium (the same company that makes balls for both Brunswick and Aramith) I can't imagine that they would go to all the trouble of formulating a different resin for the measle ball vs. their other top-of-the line Aramith and Brunswicks.

But you didn't mention which CB you are comparing the measle ball to and in any such comparison, the age of the balls would have to be taken into account since, as you know, they wear with age/use.

Regards,
Jim

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Shortside K said:
av84fun said:
Shortside K said:
While I have not undertaken to scientifically test the measles CB (I'm not going to spend the $ to thoroughly test it) my personal feeling is that it plays "heavy".

i.e. It plays like it is significantly heavier than the standard Aramith Pro CB.
It tends to "over-run" position. With "top" it seems to keep going an additional distance, and with draw, it seems to take a stronger stroke to get it moving. However, once it gets moving... it doesn't want to stop.

It weighs the same as my other two Aramith cue balls.

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
I use it at home to practice so I can see unwanted cb spin and be more diligent in my efforts to hit center ball.

Shortside K

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanx for your info... but...

There just was no noticealbe (to me) difference between the Centennial and the measle ball, nor did I have ANY trouble achieving the same follow/draw drill distance control as noted in the above example.

Finally, since the Arimith Pro Cup measle ball is made by Saluc in Belgium (the same company that makes balls for both Brunswick and Aramith) I can't imagine that they would go to all the trouble of formulating a different resin for the measle ball vs. their other top-of-the line Aramith and Brunswicks.

But you didn't mention which CB you are comparing the measle ball to and in any such comparison, the age of the balls would have to be taken into account since, as you know, they wear with age/use.

Regards,
Jim[/QUOTE]

There has been a lot of discussion around here regarding the belief that the measles ball plays different than the standard Aramith Pro CB.

Most of the "better" players believe that it plays "heavy".

We know there is a small weight difference from other CBs. No one has measured diameters to see if there is a difference, but it is believed that the measles ball is slightly larger (possibly due to wear on the older standard CBs).

Regarding the "over-run" tendencies of the measles ball, many think that it may be due to being "new" and thus having a smoother surface than the older, worn CBs.

So far, no one has really given me any reasons for using the measles ball. Instantaneous feedback doesn't play because the shooter already knows what is going on with the CB.

My personal belief is that people just like the "newness" of it and are fascinated by the red dots spinning around... just like we were fascinated by "strobe lights" in the 70's while on acid.

P.S. I find your CB control (during drills) absolutely amazing. 90% 2 CB widths control at some of the distances you describe is better than anyone I have ever seen. With this kind of control I believe your speed should/would be much better than needing 5-7 games spot to compete against the players you referenced. I'm not saying I don't believe you, just think you must play better than you have described.

desert1pocket

Registered Fish
Silver Member
If you're using an aramith super pro measles ball(the most common of the measles balls), it should play exactly the same as an aramith red logo (assuming they have a comparable amount of wear). If you are used to playing with the centennial blue circle ball, then yes, the measles ball does play differently.
Taken from another thread-
"With the exception of barbox cueballs, all cueballs should weigh the same, and be the same size. There are slight variances from manufacturing tolerances, and wear can change this as well, but the main difference in cueballs is the material they are made of. Blue circle, (and I'm assuming blue logo) balls are made of the same phenolic resin as the object balls. Red circle and aramith red logo balls are made of the same resin as carom balls, which is more resilient. The more resilient a ball is, the easier it is to draw, and the harder it is to follow, and visa versa. There are measles balls made from both types of resin, but the more common measles ball is the aramith super pro, which is made from the same carom ball resin as the red logo. There are also cheaper ball sets and cueballs made from things like polyester resin that play much differently than any of the premium balls mentioned above."

crawfish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Somebeach plays phony and heavy to me. That damn thing has cost me a boatload of cash when they first came out. I went from playing with a red circle cueball to that weird gimmick of a ball at a "spot" I was supposed to rob a fellow. I was three sets down before I was used to it at all. All is okay, though. I went back with the red circle and doubled up. It's all about what you're used to. They do play funny compared to an actual ball. Use the three ball as the cue ball and run out a rack. Now, use the measle. You can't tell me it doesn't play like a gimmick. I will pull out my laser sighting bridge, and shoot my radial consistent shaft, with my tungsten radial butt into the measle ball through the carbide glove, using cue slick, on the perfect cloth, powdered to the hilt. It's different. Period. NOW that's one run-on, long sentence. I am joking, of course. I don't care what the equipment is. If you can play, you can adjust.

oneshotwiss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shortside K said:
But...

fine, then forever remain a C-player. just jokes mate! Actually you would be suprised how much you can learn about yourself by video taping yourself.

worriedbeef

The Voice of Reason
Silver Member
shortside k, you answered your own question in your first post!

It looks cool!

plus you can gaina bit of knowledge by using it i think. yes we know toa certain extent what is going on with the ball, but actually seeing it more clearly and in action stimulates your thought a bit more i believe.

but it does look cool doesn't it?

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this is one dumb thread

the spotted ball helps alot of players who have trouble with English, it's also made to more exacting standards with tighter tolerances, and as stated earlier, it also provides tv viewers with a much better view of shots with English,