What is the greatest single achievement in sports?

ru4au2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Secretariat at the Belmont...just unbelievable
Jack winning the 1986 Masters at 46

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
For his weight class, I think no doubt.

Jim Pollock, wrist wrestling, decades ago.

All the best,
WW

kid

billiard mechanic
Silver Member
Mario Lemieux's comeback... just got out of a cancer, played only half season yet still finish first on the scoresheet

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

simplestroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Miracle on ice far and away. Imagine the Minnesota Gophers beating an NHL all star team. The game after was pretty good too.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Secretariat at the Belmont...just unbelievable.

I'm going to second this as the greatest achievement in one event in sports history.

Secretariat finished the 1973 Belmont Stakes in 2:24 flat, which has now been the world record for a mile and a half on a dirt track for 44 years.

The closest any other horse has come to that time in the history of the Belmont Stakes is 2:26, which would be about 10 lengths behind Secretariat.

Other records by Secretariat that may never be broken:

Winning all three Triple Crown races in record time. All three records still stand:

1:59 2/5 in the Kentucky Derby (still the track record)
1:53 in the Preakness (still the track record)
2:24 in the Belmont (still the world record)

Setting the fastest time ever in the Kentucky Derby by running each quarter mile faster than the previous one. His times for each quarter mile in the Derby were

25 1/5
23 4/5
23 2/5

Last edited:

bwally

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm going to second this as the greatest achievement in one event in sports history.

Secretariat finished the 1973 Belmont Stakes in 2:24 flat, which has now been the world record for a mile and a half on a dirt track for 44 years.

The closest any other horse has come to that time in the history of the Belmont Stakes is 2:26, which would be about 10 lengths behind Secretariat.

Winning all three Triple Crown races in record time. All three records still stand:

Setting the fastest time ever in the Kentucky Derby by running each quarter mile faster than the previous one. His times for each quarter mile in the Derby were

25 1/5
23 4/5
23 2/5
Hard to argue that.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
i'm 6' tall, a cracker and i could almost dunk

i balled better than i danced

on topic:
wilt's 50 boards are off the chart, stronger than the hun he dropped, imo

Last edited:

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
Miracle on ice far and away. Imagine the Minnesota Gophers beating an NHL all star team. The game after was pretty good too.

It was a great victory, deserving of it's nickname ... but NHL players were not allowed to play in the 1980 Olympics. The Soviet team was a great one, and most certainly were professional hockey players in western terms. Many went on to outstanding NHL careers.

Dave

simplestroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was a great victory, deserving of it's nickname ... but NHL players were not allowed to play in the 1980 Olympics. The Soviet team was a great one, and most certainly were professional hockey players in western terms. Many went on to outstanding NHL careers.

Dave

Right that's why it's such an amazing feat. The Soviets beat our (US) professionals at the time pretty handily if I'm not mistaking?

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I would say Nadia Comaneci . No gymnast had ever scored a perfect 10 before her yet Nadia scored a perfect 10 in 7 events.

2nd place for me is Byron Nelson winning 11 PGA golf tournaments in a row (1945). I wouldn't think it was possible and I don't think that will ever be done again.

Earl's 11 rack run of 9 ball on demand for $1,000,000 is right up there.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If that horse was a cyclist, nobody would claim is wasn't doped to the gills.

25 1/5
23 4/5
23 2/5

bicki

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
how about the German football (soccer) team beating the five time world champion brazil on their home turf a few years ago in the semis of the World Cup 7:1...!?

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Attachments

• wilt-chamberlain.jpg
    wilt-chamberlain.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 378
Last edited: