What is the most consecutive racks of 9 ball ever run?

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
if 50% is the average, them some players would be above or below 50%, yes?

50 percent chance of break is run is close to what the best in the world achieve sometimes. Sky broke and ran 43 percent of his breaks during his recent race to 150, so his odds would have been less than what I quoted.

Of course pool is different than flipping a coin, but it's a rough explanation as to why we don't have people running 20+ racks of 9 ball on youtube.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
According to an AZB website article on 2/2/2003:

In a 'challenge match' against French player Donald Du Bois, Feijen broke and ran 15 consecutive 9-ball racks on a regulation 4 1/2 X 9' table.

Niels Feijen's "fifteen pack", which took place in the Netherlands, is the longest run I've ever heard of in nine-ball on a full size table that has full corroboration. I heard second hand that Lassiter ran a 21-pack of nine ball on a full-size table but there is no corroboration of it.

Runs of over twenty racks have occurred on bar tables.
For me, personally, Feijen's fifteen-pack of 2003 is still the record. It occurred with numerous witnesses and it was reported by the billiards press the very next day. AZB was among those that reported it on 2/2/2003. That's good enough for me. Fully witnessed and reported.

It's a record that will be broken one day, but so far, no verifiable case of a 16+ pack is on record.

PS Seems that both Jay and I are aware that Luther Lassiter claimed a mega-package (which Jay says was 19 racks and I say was 21 racks), but Lassiter's effort is not documented anywhere and I've never met a witness, so I don't see how it can be recognized. Most would agree that Lassiter's claim is credible, for Lassiter was a generational talent and the most successful nine baller at Johnston City , but I guess we'll never know.

DieselPete

50 percent chance of break is run is close to what the best in the world achieve sometimes. Sky broke and ran 43 percent of his breaks during his recent race to 150, so his odds would have been less than what I quoted.

Of course pool is different than flipping a coin, but it's a rough explanation as to why we don't have people running 20+ racks of 9 ball on youtube.
Yeah, from the results I’ve seen, 50% would be an absolute gold standard.

Regardless, if we consider that a break and run for a top, top pro is anything like flipping coins, then we should consider that in a long match (race to 100, in which about 185 games are played) we can expect to see runs of four or five or higher, in part because every break and run presents a new chance to start a run. In a normal race you only get one chance to start a run of a significant number of games.

In other words, if we flip a coin 100 times, we will have five straight heads in there somewhere. If I say, “flip five straight heads, right now, starting with flip number one,” it probably ain’t happening.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
I was half kidding.

It was a great run and I don’t intend to take anything away from it. But if we said that a run is the videotaped, proven record, there certainly could not be even one conceded ball.

Someone runs 17 racks with a conceded ball in rack 12... I’d say “Congratulations on your eleven rack run.”

But coming from a golf background, I see sets like match play golf in which conceding putts is a sign of respect. Someone concedes a nine ball in a match? Good for them. But if you accept the conceded ball you sacrifice a long run record.
Sure you would, that's your style. Most of the rest of us would say INCREDIBLE RUN!!!!!!
BTW, what was your former name on here?

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bobby Leggs from Baltimore ran 23 racks of 9 ball on a bar box.

Marc

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
With online tournaments getting more and more popular against the Ghost or with point systems, and with a lot of them rewarding 15 points for a break and run without taking ball in hand, instead of the 10 points that is rewarded with ball in hand, it's only a matter of time until someone makes a clean 10-Ball 10-pack on live streaming
I would almost bet than within 12 months this happens

In one of the biggest Facebook online Groups, canadian's: WSA ARENA this month the ongoing challenge 10x10 10 racks of 10-Ball
wich by the way finishes today for this months, we have seen near perfect scores:
(2) 135 points out of a maximum possible 150
And (2)125 Scores
This means 6-8 Break and runs out of the 10 racks

Elijah Noli Alvarez, the new sensation from the PHI (only 16-year old) has beaten the 10-ball ghost 35-3 once Ive heard

All kind of practice 10-ball packages will be broken within months

the template, fast cloths and equipment which allows easily to make an avg. of 2-3 balls on the break will allow this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Given that professional players are thought to be at least 50% to break and run out then mathematically it should be fairly easy to see that streaks are rare. And certainly the statisticians among us could tell us how rare.

Another question that may have already been asked is should we count multiple break and runs as packs when they happen in alternate break formats? I say yes.
We don't need a statistician to tell us what X^2 is at 50%. However, consider someone playing on a table with big pockets and optimal conditions, who is breaking really well.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Jack White played a guy for lots of marbles per game...and proceeded to run out 19 racks. The owner put up a plaque commemorating it and had Jack's Rambow cue in a plexiglass case above the plaque for years. This was in Sanford FL sometime in the 60's. Sadly many years later the bar burned down and the cue was lost in the fire.

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Thanks for the details! Very interesting.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My buddy ran 12 racks on small money match couple years ago. Last world Champs that were held he came 5th. I personally saw him run 7-8 racks many times. And one night we were gambling and he had 68% break and run on 10-ball. Session was about 7h and we were drunk :D Table was perfect condition 9ft Diamond.
I played also super strong myself too but still got trashed. one set was always race to 6 and they normally took 2 innings either one to win that. Winner breaks.

P.s Percentage can be slightly off because i was drunk but i did count it while i was sitting most of night.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My buddy ran 12 racks on small money match couple years ago. Last world Champs that were held he came 5th. I personally saw him run 7-8 racks many times. And one night we were gambling and he had 68% break and run on 10-ball. Session was about 7h and we were drunk :D Table was perfect condition 9ft Diamond.
I played also super strong myself too but still got trashed. one set was always race to 6 and they normally took 2 innings either one to win that. Winner breaks.

P.s Percentage can be slightly off because i was drunk but i did count it while i was sitting most of night.
He's going to be playing in the World Cup of Pool in less than 3 weeks. I hope he is not drunk then! :)

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I watched an amateur run 3 and a half racks of 15 balls in rotation. He started on the 7 and then broke and ran 3 full racks. After that they quit him for some reason:). I'm not sure what the game is called in the US, payball? You get paid on certain balls, the 5, the 9 and the 15 usually. He was down quite a bit and under a lot of pressure when the run started. The bet was upped and the magic happened.The best run I've seen in person. As for 9 ball I've never seen more than 6 in a tournament with my own eyes. Now the tournaments are all alternate break around here. No more runs. Big runs in tournaments are quite rare for anyone but top professionals.

Almost every amateur has a story of a big 9 ball run, 10-12 racks, I guess I'm just unlucky to never have seen one. I'm not a big, explosive 9 ball runner myself. My break is not all that great.

Last edited:

9BallBanger

Archer ran 13 and out on Bustmante.
Then 2 more in the next set .
So, I think he ties with Feijen.
That's is correct! Archer has spoken that publicly, and it has been verified by Bustie! Archer was down one set, prior to the second set. They were racing to 13, and Archer ran the set out from the get go it. Bustie didn't quit after Archer ran the second set out either. Archer ran the first two of the 3rd set, but Bustie eventually one the third set!

9BallBanger

I watched an amateur run 3 and a half racks of 15 balls in rotation. He started on the 7 and then broke and ran 3 full racks. After that they quit him for some reason:). I'm not sure what the game is called in the US, payball? You get paid on certain balls, the 5, the 9 and the 15 usually. He was down quite a bit and under a lot of pressure when the run started. The bet was upped and the magic happened.The best run I've seen in person. As for 9 ball I've never seen more than 6 in a tournament with my own eyes. Now the tournaments are all alternate break around here. No more runs. Big runs in tournaments are quite rare for anyone but top professionals.

Almost every amateur has a story of a big 9 ball run, 10-12 racks, I guess I'm just unlucky to never have seen one. I'm not a big, explosive 9 ball runner myself. My break is not all that great.
Go on the road, and play the game as your on source of income for a year or two. When you live by the motto: "This is how eat", you start missing balls less. Also, when you lose, it makes think about the mistakes you made in the game even more, and you begin to think what was the most effective and simplistic alternative to shot selection I chose.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Go on the road, and play the game as your on source of income for a year or two. When you live by the motto: "This is how eat", you start missing balls less. Also, when you lose, it makes think about the mistakes you made in the game even more, and you begin to think what was the most effective and simplistic alternative to shot selection I chose.
But that won't make you a champion player!

WTD14

Registered
Pia Filler said Joshua broke and ran 25 9 ball racks consecutively in preparation for the world 9 ball championship. He ended up winning that year.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Pia Filler said Joshua broke and ran 25 9 ball racks consecutively in preparation for the world 9 ball championship. He ended up winning that year.
Never ceases to amaze me that if they can run that many racks in practice, they can't run 25% of those racks against an opponent!!!

9BallBanger

But that won't make you a champion player!
No it necessarily won't, but over time, you will play better, and you will string larger packages together! And here are some reasons why: it gives you a whole lot more time at the table, and way more opportunities to string a large package together on somebody under pressure (even if it's just like 40$ or 50$ game on a bar box), than say playing one night (or couple of nights) a week, and playing in your occasional weekend regional tourney! You got to be hungry, you got to get that seasoning, you got stay in action, and you got to put the hours in at the table or it will never happen.

Not even Champions take prop bets saying: "Give me 3 to 1 on the money that I run an 8 pack as soon as I get to the table?"

Rome wasn't built in day, neither is anyone's pool game, you got to put the time in at the table. The more time you put in at the table, and the more games you break, the more opportunities you have to string a package together.😎