What is your 3 foul strategy? When do you go for it?

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
Even more pleasurable if all 3 fouls are results of using their $250 Jump cue.

Tap, Tap, Tap Mr. the420trooper... well stated

I'm guessing you haven't 3 fouled many people....It's one of the sweetest ways to win. That defeated, lifeless slump that they get after 3 fouls is unlike any runout you've ever put on them.

Pocketing a 9 or 10 ball against someone who never got to the table, isn't nearly as magical as winning a game against someone who had 3 separate chances to make a legal shot.

I think most people are happier if you break and run a 5 pack, because they can tell themselves, "If I'd gotten to the table, I could've won."

If you give them 3 innings at the table in the same game, and they don't win, that excuse is no longer an option...

Milo

NPL CHIX, WE DID IT!!!!!
Silver Member
Is there a time to do it and a time not to, that is the question!!

If my opponent scratches on the break and the table looks really icky, :Dthen yes, I do look to see if thats the move.
I realize some players dont like the 3 foul rule. To each his/her own. :)

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
If someone scratches on the break, I look for clusters and problem balls. I then try to play a safe that will lock up the 1 ball with the clusters. If they kick it, they kick it. But if they miss the 1 ball but break up the cluster.. go for the run out. If they miss it all together, they are on 2 fouls and a 3rd should be easy with the 1 ball on the cluster.

Big Perm

1pkt 14.1 8 Banks 9 10
Silver Member
I'm guessing you haven't 3 fouled many people....It's one of the sweetest ways to win. That defeated, lifeless slump that they get after 3 fouls is unlike any runout you've ever put on them.

Pocketing a 9 or 10 ball against someone who never got to the table, isn't nearly as magical as winning a game against someone who had 3 separate chances to make a legal shot.

I think most people are happier if you break and run a 5 pack, because they can tell themselves, "If I'd gotten to the table, I could've won."

If you give them 3 innings at the table in the same game, and they don't win, that excuse is no longer an option...

I don't 3-foul out of principle....

It's kinda like the guy that scratches - shoots the cue into the corner pocket at warp speed when you are playing bar rules 8-ball and the 8 is up in the kitchen.....I just don't like it....

I have never won nor lost due to the 3 foul rule, but I have been on a 2 count before....granted, I'm not as good as most of the peeps on this board, nobody worries about a banger :grin:

blah blah

Shoebat
3 Foul Story

Another reason I try to hook my opponent, which may lead to a 3-foul win, is when I am struggling making balls or running out. Playing safe gets me in stroke because it removes the stress of "having" to run out and I’m still trying to control the cue ball. While I'm playing safe to try to win, up pops opportunities to 3-foul my opponent. It's kind of fun. Anyway, it’s easier to run out 4-5 balls than 8-9 when you're struggling. :eek:
Dave

One day I played in a tourney and, because I lost my first match, I played nearly non- stop for ten hours. I was just allowed to have a cigarette between the matches, and once at 8 pm (tourney started at noon), I was permitted to drive the 1.3 miles to a Starbucks to grab a coffee. Other than that, it was seriously 10 hrs of grueling play- after a 3 hour morning drive to get there.

I quickly could tell that my next and last opponent, who is loudly antsy after a long wait (tournament director told me they'd been complaining for some time), is not as good as me. They could make balls really well, but had a very, very limited understanding of where the cueball was going to go... They also liked to talk, chat, walk away from the table, and were constantly adjusting themselves (shirt, pants, stretching, cracking neck, scratching, and... repeat) while waiting. Fine. I was dead on my feet, it seemed like a waste of relative energy to get into an argument over it, and so I tried concentrating only on the balls and not them.

I started playing safe so I could get ball in hand and run out. I'd get my ball in hand, make three balls, and miss like a damned donkey. But as I started to fully realize my opponent couldn't do more than a one- rail mirror- kick, I tried going for the 3foul.... That's where I learned my previously- posted- statement about planning for the 3rd foul- because by the time I was ready to force the 3rd, I'd have the ob standing all alone in the middle of the table. That's totally harder to play safe with than it could have been if I'd just been planning better.

So I couldn't run out- after very painful, stupid misses on the 7, 8, AND YES, the 9!, my confidence was completely blown. I could play safe. And since my opponent couldn't do much more than a one- rail kick... Well, dammit, I paid my money to get in that tourney and if they wanted to chat, tug, and scratch their way through it, I could get my bih and 3foul wins.

I lost 7-6. I fully believe I could beat that person about any day of the week. As tired and weak as I was, though, it was absolutely pure stubborn tenacity that made the match as close as it was.

My opponent's spouse had a hissy fit and announced loudly to several others that I was a lowlife and that it's hard to play a lowlife... For playing a lot of safes and clearly going for the 3fouls.

Sticks and stones. I'm not going to quit trying to win because of name calling or a stupid guilt trip over trying to win within the stated rules. People are always trying to make you feel like crap for winning, for trying to win, for going for a nine, for running out, for playing safe, for winning last time, for making the 9 on the break, for whatever. I didn't try to cheat or shark anyone- every thing I did was legal. The only thing that feels crappy is that I just wish I hadn't given up so many stupid key balls.

As it is, it almost worked. And I would so do it again in the same situation, except I think next time I'll also make sure I've got enough sleep and some powerbars in my cue case.

The Machine

Registered
One of the most opportunistic times to go for 3 fouls is this. If your opponent miscues on his break.(doesn't hit the pack). Most players will rebreak. However, many do not realize this is BALL IN HAND. Simply place the cue ball right beside the rack, slide off the 1 ball, and hide directly behind the pack on the rail. The opponent misses from here, and that is 2 fouls. Third is generally easy too!

Last edited:

Shortside K

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
not that tough...

One of the most opportunistic times to go for 3 fouls is this. If your opponent miscues on his break.(doesn't hit the pack). Most players will rebreak. However, many do not realize this is BALL IN HAND. Simply place the cue ball right beside the rack, slide off the 1 ball, and hide directly behind the pack on the rail. The opponent misses from here, and that is 2 fouls. Third is generally easy too!

I have seen this tried several times... its not that big a deal.
Hitting the one ball from behind the pack is not really that difficult for above average players.
No matter where you leave the cue ball, it leaves a basic one rail kick.

Shortside K

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am volunteering my thoughts in the hopes of getting more ideas. Critiquing me is totally welcome.

I go for a 3foul when:

-it's a very weak player and I really really want to win-the person has demonstrated several times that they can't kick in this match on this table, for whatever reason
-the opportunity is there from the layout and he's already on 1.

The last one is particularly good against a superior opponent because it's an insult.

"it's a very weak player and I really really want to win..."
How lame is that?

"The last one is particularly good against a superior opponent because it's an insult."
Your thinking is flawed...
I am always thrilled when my opponent goes for the 3 foul hook rather than running out. It means I am definitely going to get back to the table. If I'm at the table I can win the game. I can't win sitting in my chair.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Both players have to make a decision after the first foul

Exceptions but in most instances it is time to make a decision not later than when a player is on one foul. If a player is on one the opposing player should look to see if three fouling is likely. I see three fouling as no different than combo'ing the money ball. It's in the rules for a reason. Anyway, if you have a very good second safe go for it. Even if you don't three foul the other player they now know that they have to watch for you trying to three foul them again. Yes, it is a head game but so is much of a pool match most of the time.

Here is the catch, when you play back to back safes most good players realize what you are up to and can usually defeat the third safety with a smart shot, deliberately taking the second foul to break up the problem. This may open things up for a run out or they may create messes to block a run out with this shot. A pool game can become much like a chess match with every shot doing two or three things. It almost always does when you are playing anything but runout pool against a crafty one pocket player regardless of what the game is.

Hu

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In a friendly game-$20 sets or so, unless I am behind by 3 games or more, I am not trying to get my opponent on 3. An exception might be if he is bragging about what a great kicker he is and cant be put on three or acting like a jerk in anyway.

I really despise A, Open, And Pro level players who draw a 'D' player in a non handicapped tournament and then first thing set about getting them on 3. You're a skunk!!!

Now as a general rule, when do you look to put your opponent on 3?
When he scratches! Now you have 33% less work to do to accomplish your task. That is the first thing that should pop into your head when your opp scratches.

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
I'm one of those egotistical SOBs so I only go for a 3 foul win when 'they' are already on 1 or 2 and there is absolutely no way to get out , usually because I screwed it up. I mean I'd rather try and get out than sit back while they let one fly. I mean there ARE like 6 holes in the table. ;)

I mean , if you have had ball in hand a couple times already and still can't get out in 8 or 9 balll , I don't know what to say.

Rick S.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My virginity is gone... I got 3 fouled twice this week by the same crafty sonnofagun (you know who you are!). Once was at hill-hill for a bit of change. :mad: I've never experienced this dose of humble pie.

What are some of your more advanced tips as to when and why you go for 3 fouling your opponent?

Getting 3 fouled can really mess with your Mojo!

Whenever I want to win.......:)

If a foul has already been committed...........1/3 of the hard work is already finished.

If a ball is close to another, and can use it for a blocker....

If there is a pack of balls to hide either the cue, or the object ball.

Keep in mind....jump cues!!! Always...........

Secret to a good safe is freezing a ball...bottom line.

Practice up......you must have good control of whitey.

I LOVE safes, as anyone who knows me will tell you:wink:

Play the way we used to play in Breakers.....3 fouls pay double. You'll learn quicker than you ever thought possible.