what is your best stupid customer story!!!

EB Cues

EB Cues
I have 2 story. First the the guy go with is boat in vacancy and when he step on the boat is zipper case was broken so is cue drop in the river. He paid a diver( dont know the term in english) to get is cue. He find the cue 4 hours later!!! All the inlays was popped out of the cue and I cant nothing with that.

I have always this cue with me and I make another one for this guy!!!

The second I make a shaft for a guy that play at my pool room. 2 or 3 months later he say me he have a problem with is shaft... When he show me is shaft, the shaft are split in 2 at the joint and I can see the brass insert in the crack and still just keep in place by the black linen ring and the tringle tip are like a big mushroom, maybe 1/2 inch long!!! After a lots of discussion he say me he soak the shaft in the bath to remove the blue chalk in the shaft!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can you imagine my face when he say that????? I making pool cue for the last 10 years and this the best stupid history I have never forget!!!!

let me know yours story!!!!

the error is human (this is a french expression)

Eric

TripXQ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
story

Every time I experience one of these types of situations with customers I remember a saying that I have known for years.

STUPIDITY IS IT'S OWN REWARD.

Think about it often.
Tom Gedris, Triple Cross Cues

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
You could also say that "ignorance is bliss", which would explain why so many people walk around with a sht-eatin' grin on their face. :smile:

Mase

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the best I have had is a customer who brought me a cue and the tip was held on with a small screw. He said he had been using it that way for months.

TripXQ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
stories

KJ,
In direct response to you. Have you ever tried to make something idiot proof?

I have and mother nature keeps making "BETTER IDIOTS".

Russell Cues

Maverick Cue Builder
Silver Member
A customer brought a sneaky pete to me and said it had a wobble. Well he had hand sanded some dents out of the shaft and went over the joint area so as to almost hour glass the cue at the joint.

He couldn't understand why I couldn't just fill in the large depressions he left in the shaft and at the joint area?!

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member
I had a customer at my pool room (I can't mention any names, he's a poster in AZ. LOL), who came to me one day with his 10 year old McDermott cue. He told me that McDermott must use the worse shaftwood on earth. His cue kept leaking black sap from the pours of the wood. I had to explain to him that Gold Crown pockets were a black rubber compound that would leave those marks if he stroked his cue on the pockets.

qguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I reckon, he had the same leaking problem on his underwear :grin-square:

I had a customer at my pool room (I can't mention any names, he's a poster in AZ. LOL), who came to me one day with his 10 year old McDermott cue. He told me that McDermott must use the worse shaftwood on earth. His cue kept leaking black sap from the pours of the wood. I had to explain to him that Gold Crown pockets were a black rubber compound that would leave those marks if he stroked his cue on the pockets.

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
KJ,

I worked on & off in Industrial Maintenance for about 20 yrs.
Some of those machine operators can be the most creative people on earth.
Particularly midday Friday and they want to leave early.
I'd tell them "Look, I don't care, I'm going to get the OT anyway. So do me a favor will ya? Tell me what you did so I'll know where to start.
After I fixed the machine, I'd rig it so they couldn't break it again in the same way. That's when their creativity would surface again. Very creative.

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
As a Captain on a sportfisher/whale watcher, I get a few...Here is one from today...

Excuse me, but what Island is that?

With a straight face I politely reply...North America..

We never traveled beyond sight of it.....

Last edited:

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
You'd have to expound on that one Randy. Are you in the charter business?

Fortunately, I don't have any stories yet but I'm sure they will come in time.
At our hall, we have Dufferins and they have light grey pockets like Sherm was talking about.
Not as funny as the leaking shaft bit, but I have had to explain to a few people as to where they were getting the grey sticky stuff from.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
I have 2 story. First the the guy go with is boat in vacancy and when he step on the boat is zipper case was broken so is cue drop in the river. He paid a diver( dont know the term in english) to get is cue. He find the cue 4 hours later!!! All the inlays was popped out of the cue and I cant nothing with that.

I have always this cue with me and I make another one for this guy!!!

The second I make a shaft for a guy that play at my pool room. 2 or 3 months later he say me he have a problem with is shaft... When he show me is shaft, the shaft are split in 2 at the joint and I can see the brass insert in the crack and still just keep in place by the black linen ring and the tringle tip are like a big mushroom, maybe 1/2 inch long!!! After a lots of discussion he say me he soak the shaft in the bath to remove the blue chalk in the shaft!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can you imagine my face when he say that????? I making pool cue for the last 10 years and this the best stupid history I have never forget!!!!

let me know yours story!!!!

the error is human (this is a french expression)

Eric

None of my customers are stupid, however, like everyone else they are Human and thus prone to making mistakes.

I have a theory about stupidity, unless some one makes the same mistake twice that mistake should be marked up to bad judgment or a lack of attention to detail!!!!!:wink:

Some may view this as a Stupid thread, because if any of your customers read the comments written here I doubt that they will bring you any more of their mistakes. AZ Billiards is viewed by many many people and you just never know who is posting to any given thread!!!:smile:

JIMO

EB Cues

EB Cues
I want to excuse my english. I dont want offence any person with this post just know funny stories of other cuemaker! I know my title was not good.

So I replace it by (customer funny stories)

Sorry if I offence a few person on this site

Eric

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
KJ,

great tee shirt quote lmfao........that is the truth too, its very much like that offshore with those egghead operators that couldn't operate their pants zipper if mrs jameson came calling, make it fool proof and they make you out to be a fool that thought he could stop them from breaking another thing.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a Captain on a sportfisher/whale watcher, I get a few...Here is one from today...

Excuse me, but what Island is that?

With a straight face I politely reply...North America..

We never traveled beyond sight of it.....

Here are a few from my years charter fishing on the North Atlantic.

What time does the 8 o'clock boat leave?

Is is it always this rough?

Is the ocean like this all the time?

How can you tell when your sinker hits bottom?

s'portplayer

Midnight Rambler
Silver Member
Amen!!!!!!!!

none of my customers are stupid, however, like everyone else they are human and thus prone to making mistakes.

I have a theory about stupidity, unless some one makes the same mistake twice that mistake should be marked up to bad judgment or a lack of attention to detail!!!!!:wink:

Some may view this as a stupid thread, because if any of your customers read the comments written here i doubt that they will bring you any more of their mistakes. Az billiards is viewed by many many people and you just never know who is posting to any given thread!!!:smile:

Jimo

HDR10

HR Custom Cues
Silver Member
Guy sits in my shop for 3 hours going through all my wood,old house cues,linen,rings and plans for what he wants to have a cue made like!!!!!
Then just before he gets up to leave says to me....''I want the whole cue except where the handle is to be wrapped''.........WTF?????
so I spend 3 more hours trying to make him understand thats NOT the way to do it and I could just start with a 2x2 from lowes for that junk!!!!!!!
finally have to just say no and tell him to go to someone else

J&D CUSTOMS

JL Cues
Silver Member
Customers call me all the time, email me, pm me, and have several write letters asking me some of the darndest things. I do not look at any of this in a make fun of kind of way at all.
There is nothing better than to talk to a pool player that has absolutely no idea on cue construction, what an a-joint or tenon is, buttsleeve or taper. All he knows is he wants a cue to feel right and shoot the way he wants one to shoot.
These are the customers I love to work with, you get to start from scratch, a blank pallet so to speak. And the feeling of walking them thru the total construction of a cue they really want, well it is priceless.
The best reward is , you happen to walk into a pool room and there is your customer, explaining what we had talked about construction, helping another player by explaining what he can , coming from our talks, and sharing with him what he has learned and listened to.
That my friends, is what it is all about! Not stupid, not at all! It is what we are supposed to do as
cuemakers. Don't ya think?

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Customers call me all the time, email me, pm me, and have several write letters asking me some of the darndest things. I do not look at any of this in a make fun of kind of way at all.
There is nothing better than to talk to a pool player that has absolutely no idea on cue construction, what an a-joint or tenon is, buttsleeve or taper. All he knows is he wants a cue to feel right and shoot the way he wants one to shoot.
These are the customers I love to work with, you get to start from scratch, a blank pallet so to speak. And the feeling of walking them thru the total construction of a cue they really want, well it is priceless.
The best reward is , you happen to walk into a pool room and there is your customer, explaining what we had talked about construction, helping another player by explaining what he can , coming from our talks, and sharing with him what he has learned and listened to.
That my friends, is what it is all about! Not stupid, not at all! It is what we are supposed to do as
cuemakers. Don't ya think?

Great comments, I certainly could not agree more.

DD Custom Cues

Cues by Drew
Silver Member
I would rather have the dumb people because you can teach them something. The people that think they are smart are the biggest problem.