what kind of glue do i use on a ferrule that flew off

SKJoss72

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
so with the awesome timing that could only happen to me, I was playing in a singles board and I have to win 5-3 against a 5 (awesome) he's on the hill I need 2 more and i break make the 8 ball and my ferrule flys across the room and the cue ball flys off the table also such a great moment:rolleyes:
the PART THAT SUCKS IS I was plying lights out all day, beat 1 5, 5-1, and another 5, 5-0 and this crap happens in the final match, I reall hate 5's:wink:

anyway does anyone have any suggestions on what kind of glue I should use to keep the ferrule on the shaft

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You might get a better response in the ask a cue maker section,
and more accurate. Good Luck!

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you want to try to do it yourself, go get an epoxy. 5 minute or 8 hour is fine. You may have trouble with epoxy pressure build up though. A new ferrule usually has a bleed hole under the tip, for the epoxy pressure to escape.

If you want to pay someone to do it, take it to a cue repair man. They will put a new ferrule and tip on for you.

Good luck.

thommy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First thing I would use it Titebond 2. that glue is amazing! I know, I've used about 30 gallons of it in the last two years.

SKJoss72

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am tossing up whether to do it myself or not I just had it done back in march at the SBE and it was clicking for about a month, but today it flew across the room. I wont have time to take it to a repair guy before my next match. thanks for the replys

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
It depends. Where did it fly off to?
My first wife got pissed, one night, and flew off to Schenectady, New York.
El Cheapo super glue (gel is easiest to work with) from Wal-Mart is good. :smile:

thommy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it flew off it means that it is loose on the shaft. If it is loose you need a gap filling glue. super glue is not gap filling. epoxy is messy but gap filling. titebond can be wiped off with a damp paper towel and is quite gap filling for a wood glue. . . .

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to use Loctite 401 but at $21 for a small bottle was a little too much.

Now I use Loctite super glue ultra gel control from Home Depot. Only cost around $4-$5 for a small bottle.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am tossing up whether to do it myself or not I just had it done back in march at the SBE and it was clicking for about a month, but today it flew across the room. I wont have time to take it to a repair guy before my next match. thanks for the replys

:confused:

You just had it put on in the spring at the Super Billiard Expo? OMG!

SKJoss72

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:confused:

You just had it put on in the spring at the Super Billiard Expo? OMG!

yeah tell me about it.... the guy said he'd fix it if anything went wrong, but to tell you the truth I dont remember his name. and i am not gonna wait till next year to see him again.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
I agree

I would use 5 minute Epoxy.

agreed 5 min epoxy will give you time . just in case you screw up
5min epoxy means 5 min of working time not hardens up in 5 min.
sure your ferrule is not cracked ?

tape the shaft and ferrule wipe off as much excess epoxy as possible.

good luck
MMike

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yeah tell me about it.... the guy said he'd fix it if anything went wrong, but to tell you the truth I dont remember his name. and i am not gonna wait till next year to see him again.

:smile:

Proficient Billiards is only 30 minutes from your house and I'm 90 minutes from your house. Sounds like you need a spare shaft or spare cue. At least a break cue.

I recommend you come to my house for repairs and to purchase a new shaft or pool cue. If you come on a Saturday, you get to see sprint car racing for free, beer is always cold and coffee is just easy to make. I have a pool table, so you can try different shafts and cues.

I have over 100 cues here.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Although some do use titebond for the ferrule, the majority of cuemakers use a 2 part epoxy in that area. Either a 5 minute type or 8 hr type. This has been discussed many times in the cuemaker forum here.

I did cue repair work locally for about 10 years before quitting. I used 5 min epoxy with very good success.

whitewolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to use Loctite 401 but at $21 for a small bottle was a little too much.

Now I use Loctite super glue ultra gel control from Home Depot. Only cost around $4-$5 for a small bottle.

The Loctite ultra gel control worked for me too, besides putting on tips. Fast, easy to use, and easy to wipe off.

SKJoss72

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gorilla glue is what i just used I will check back with results, gonna let it harden overnight, we have a playoff match tomorrow night, so itll get good use, thanks SK

jschelin99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sure everything will turn out just fine for you, but I gotta throw in my two cents worth...

(1) Don't you need a tip on top of that ferrule? Are you gonna do the tip yourself, too? I'm not saying you can't. Heck, anyone with a few brain cells can manage a tip and ferrule job. Just look at us cuemakers: not a certified genius in the whole bunch! (haha)

The task itself isn't difficult, but there's a reason we have all of our equipment. It makes the job much easier, yields very precise results, and we (most of us) stand behind our work.

(2) Was the tip still attached to the ferrule when it flew off, and therefore you didn't think you needed a new tip? If you glued the tip/ferrule assembly back onto the tenon, you trapped an air pocket inside, thereby causing hydraulic pressure. That air pocket could cause insufficient glue contact, which may result in the tip and/or ferrule popping off again. That would just end up doubling your troubles.

Again, I'm not saying you can't do the work. I'm sure you did a fine job. It's just that we cuemakers have learned little tips and tricks through trial and error, and from our fellow cuemakers, in order to save time, money, and pains in the a$$ later on down the road.

p.s. For future reference: IMHO super glue (CA) works best for flat surface to flat surface gluing. If you're gluing anything into a hole, it's best to use epoxy. Those are just two more of my cents worth.

Last edited: