What Makes a Good Cue? A Great Cue?

MBL

Registered
Alright, I've been reading quite a few posts from old threads etc. about cue preferences and values. This may be my ignorance, but I'm getting the idea that cue values are somewhat like the values of guitars. There is a collector value, and there is a functional value. A combination of the two seems to drive the prices.

Now the reason I ask is that back in the early 90's, I can recall Helmstetters being a nice cue that was highly regarded. Those same cues on the secondary market seem to not be so valuable. But if they shot nice, and you could play a good game with them, why are they not considered nice pieces anymore? Are the new cues really so much better?

I realize the cues to which I am referring were made in Japan, and this most certainly drives the collector value down. But the functionality may be the same as some other pieces that are considered "nice" cues.

On the other hand, I remember shooting some of the best games I ever had with a nice straight house cue. I do recall that I shot better with cues of lighter weights...18oz or so.

Thoughts?
Tim
MBL

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
a good or great cue is the one you are most comfortable with regardless of who made it or price.
I had a Pechauer,a custom and a Lucasi.
The Lucasi just feels right and that's what I play with.

tashworth19191

Pool will make you humble
Silver Member
What ever feels good. I have tried most cues and always fall back on my Meucci. Meucci has a bad reputation by many on here, but it feels the best in my hands and I seem to shoot better with it. So just because others don't like a cue, it may be the best one for you because if just feels right.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
To me, a great cue is a combination of tolerance and strength.
It has to give when striking the cue ball off center....
...but it has to keep snapping back straight....and quickly.

These qualities can be found in a house cue or a cheap two-piece.
....but the easiest way to get it is to buy a cue made by a great cuemaker....
...who took a long time to make it...especially the shafts.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to agree with all of the above. Funny, the "best" cue for me cost around $400. new. The #2 was $200. I sadly, have nice cues that cost way more sitting unused in cases. Someday I'll get smart and get rid of the bling. Because that's all it is, bling.

SilverCue

Sir Raksalot
Silver Member
I assume you mean pocket billiard playing cue vs break cue, jump cue, billiard cue etc.
What is best for me (tall man) probably wouldn't work well for a small woman.
But in general, great material / workmanship, weight / ballance, shaft / tip.
I use a longer cue because I'm 6'3.
20 oz because I need the weight to keep my stroke in line.
Slick wrap so I can throw the cue and let it slide.
Low deflection (LD) shaft so I don't have to allow much for inside english.
I like a fatter shaft becaue I have large hands but I have to use a 12.75 mm for LD.
In general I like softer layered tips but I get better control with medim or hard tips.
Just my opinion, YMMV

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good versus Great

A good cue is the one you play with or else why even use it?

A great cue is one that has the specifications "exactly" the way you like......cue weight (cue butt weight & shafts too....very important), the right size shafts and taper, the type of ferrules and especially the cue joint you want, the type wrap...or even no wrap if that's what you like.....the cue tips and lastly the balance of the cue.

That's why custom cues are great, however, lots of people ordering the cue do not even know what they want and so they settle for what the cue-maker's specs are. Remember this.....unless you order a cue and tell the cue-maker how it should be built......well, then you're always settling for another person's cue specs and not your own unless it's just a rare, fortunate coincidence.

Great cues are the ones that have been built the way you'd like the cue to be made, i.e., your specs, otherwise the cue only qualifies as good.......even if it's a Szamboti. And let's face it, the vast majority of pool cue owners play with cues they had no say in how the cue was built, So they basically bought a cue that the other guy ordered and it's really just luck if the cue comes close to the specs they want, presuming that they even had an inkling what that was. That's why it takes me such a very long time to find a cue in the resale market and it's also why I order custom cues to be built......I know what I want and I won't settle for anything else.

Matt B.

Last edited:

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"What makes a good cue a great cue?"

The person using it... Other than that, being able to sell it for more than you paid.

BigNBeefY

Just Stopping By
Silver Member
I always tell new players first to find something they like to hold and look at...the market is so competitive and the difference in hit between a $300 and $3000 cue is so minimal to the untrained eye that it really doesnt matter what they play with...production vs custom only has to do with preference rather than an actual advantage these days

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What makes a great cue? A great player. I have seen off the wall Valleys played like a Stradivarius.

asiasdad

Banned
a good cue moves the balls easily.

a great cue puts the object ball in the hole
with shape on the next shot.

mnb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if you play pool, a great cue is one you can trust

if you collect cues, a great cue is one you can sell for a big profit

ivicafranic

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two hands is the answer.The first hand is by the cue maker was building it and the second one is by the guy who will play with it.
Seems logical,doesn't ???
:cool::cool::cool:

MBL

Registered
Lots of great info here. I had not thought about getting a custom cue. I suppose I don't know what I would specifically ask for. And then of course there is cost. Where do custom cues start in price? Suggestions of where to start looking for a builder?
Tim
MBL

cfrandy

AKA: The Road Runner
Silver Member
Alright, I've been reading quite a few posts from old threads etc. about cue preferences and values. This may be my ignorance, but I'm getting the idea that cue values are somewhat like the values of guitars. There is a collector value, and there is a functional value. A combination of the two seems to drive the prices.

Now the reason I ask is that back in the early 90's, I can recall Helmstetters being a nice cue that was highly regarded. Those same cues on the secondary market seem to not be so valuable. But if they shot nice, and you could play a good game with them, why are they not considered nice pieces anymore? Are the new cues really so much better?

I realize the cues to which I am referring were made in Japan, and this most certainly drives the collector value down. But the functionality may be the same as some other pieces that are considered "nice" cues.

On the other hand, I remember shooting some of the best games I ever had with a nice straight house cue. I do recall that I shot better with cues of lighter weights...18oz or so.

Thoughts?
Tim
MBL

Here's a Helmstetter that was made in Japan: http://www.cornerstonecues.com/cue775.htm
Note the price tag!

cfrandy

AKA: The Road Runner
Silver Member
Lots of great info here. I had not thought about getting a custom cue. I suppose I don't know what I would specifically ask for. And then of course there is cost. Where do custom cues start in price? Suggestions of where to start looking for a builder?
Tim
MBL

Stick with a quality production cue until you KNOW what you want in a custom cue. Nobody buys a custom cue because it will make your game better.
If you are convinced you want a custom cue, then find one here on AZ from one of our reputable dealers (Jazznpool is one of the best). Ordering a custom cue from a builder could take years from the day you order to the day you get the cue.

Last edited: