• Cue makers shaft

Votes: 64 57.7%
  • Not good enough to know the difference

Votes: 4 3.6%

• Total voters

tinman467

Way above "World Famous"
Silver Member
I'm curious to know how many guys use an aftermarket shaft on their custom cues. I have a couple Richard Blacks, and a Capone that I have Predator shafts for. Thats all I play with. The original shafts (all with ivory ferruls) are put away. I just like the way the Predator plays. I recently purchased a higher end Scruggs, and was thinking of getting a Predator shaft for that. Any thoughts on using the cue makers shaft, compared to an aftermarket one ?

quadrary

Custom Leather Cue Cases
Silver Member
use the predator

I also use predator shafts on all my cues and will continue to. I am used to the amount of squirt with the predators and dont want to go through the process of adjusting to another shaft.

Rico

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I personally would not buy a cue from someone that couldnt make a shaft . A 4-5 oz. shaft will outplay and outlast these foam filled dream shafts. just like golf alot of people think there is magic in this new gimic . just saying

ArizonaPete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play with a McDermott I-3 with my Schon CX-06. I could go on about the balance, the hit, etc., but I like the 11.75mm tip diameter and the small 1/2" ferrule. As far as deflection, I've played with an OB-2 shaft for about 2 weeks and didn't notice any particular difference in delflection between the two shafts. I did find the ferrule on the OB-2 somewhat distracting. I also borrowed my buddy's Tiger LD shaft for a few days, and again noticed no obvious difference in deflection. I have never played with a Predator shaft, and have avoided them because of various negative trends posted on this Forum. I did feel that the original Schon shaft played very well, but again I like a small tip and ferrule. But just as different tips are subjective, so are shafts. I like what feels good to me and that is an I-3 with a soft Moori tip.

quadrary

Custom Leather Cue Cases
Silver Member
I personally would not buy a cue from someone that couldnt make a shaft . A 4-5 oz. shaft will outplay and outlast these foam filled dream shafts. just like golf alot of people think there is magic in this new gimic . just saying

Neither would i but that said i will still play with my predator shaft.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rico...You're welcome to your opinion, even though you don't know what you're talking about. Almost NONE of the 'aftermarket' LD shafts are "foam filled dream shafts". Most of them are very well made, and work exactly as they are expected to. One more thing...LD shafts are nothing new. They've been around for at least 15 years.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

A 4-5 oz. shaft will outplay and outlast these foam filled dream shafts. just like golf alot of people think there is magic in this new gimic . just saying

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Cuemaker's shaft preferred here.

Me personally, I prefer to keep my "plain maple shaft" skills well-oiled, which translate to good Wall-abushka skills as well -- i.e. being able to pull a cue off the wall, have only minor/quick adaptations to it, and playing well with it.

-Sean

SplicedPoints

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use both type of shafts and can get used to either one fairly quickly. I like the way solid maple shafts feel, but prefer the consistency and dependability of the Predator shafts. I've been switching back and forth constantly, so I pretty much play the same with either types. As far as deflection, I'm careful not to apply unnecessary english when using a solid maple shaft. It's a bad habit that crept into my game when I was on Predator for a while.

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member

Me personally, I prefer to keep my "plain maple shaft" skills well-oiled, which translate to good Wall-abushka skills as well -- i.e. being able to pull a cue off the wall, have only minor/quick adaptations to it, and playing well with it.

-Sean

This is one of this biggest down falls for me on ld shafts.Its is very hard to grab a cue off the wall and play outside the the center of the cb.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Rico...You're welcome to your opinion, even though you don't know what you're talking about. Almost NONE of the 'aftermarket' LD shafts are "foam filled dream shafts". Most of them are very well made, and work exactly as they are expected to. One more thing...LD shafts are nothing new. They've been around for at least 15 years.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

What Shaft did Willie Mosconi Play with, and run balls like no tomorrow?

IMHO he play with what I would call a Stock Shaft, as the HI TECH Shaft were not available back then.

Several months ago I attended a Sportsmen's Expo in PHX. Was talking to a guy who did Special Accuracy Work on Rifles, my take was most Rifle of a NAME BRAND will shoot better out out of the box, then the owner can shoot em.

The gentleman who I was talking with agreed. We both laughed, and knew his business was not about to suffer, as some people with little ability, are looking for some special fix to make those long Rifle Shot they will miss most of the time.

The Fix is Ability, & Practice, and Knowing how your Rifle Shoot. Me, I would rather have Mr. Mosconi Skill & Ability, that some Hi Tech Cue, or Shaft I had not the skill to use to it full potential.

It is the Indian, not the Bow & Arrow who bring home dinner. Vegaterian is a Indian Word for POOR HUNTER.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
I think you need a category in your poll that says ... Ebay 30 dollar shaft with a good tip cause I think all the rest is hype. :wave:

OneIron

On the snap, Vinny!
Silver Member
I like the Predator 314 shaft. Very consistent with great feel. I try to keep the variables in my game to a minimum so if I find something I like, I stick with it. :cool:

tinman467

Way above "World Famous"
Silver Member

-Sean
I literally laughed out loud at "wall-abushka"......hilarious....lol.

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
Both my cuemaker's and 314-2 are low-deflection. I bought the Predator because my cuemaker has been ill and unable to make another shaft. Both play very close to each other but I can always replace the 314 where my original shafts are now unable to be reproduced.

Jodacus

Shoot...don't talk
Silver Member
Multiple buts (pun intended)

Since I play with different cues I used
314s to standardize the hit. I could
switch butts and not have much to do
adjusting wise.

My last cue has LD shafts made by the
cue maker. His shafts play so much like
the 314s that I'm hard pressed to tell
the difference, so now I play with solid
shafts that play like 314s.

If I play with another cue I go back to the
314s. So yes I replace the solid shafts with
314s....usually.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
5oz shaft...really? ERRRrreally?

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
What ever shaft you feel is better for you... There is no right or wrong answer to your question, If I could I would have voted for all your options. I have many friends that have multiple shafts for just one butt, just depending on how they feel, what size table they are playing on or even type of game they will change the shaft.