What Shafts Draw better ???

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member

Look at De Luna's draw shot at approx 5:27 into the match. This requires the right type of shaft and tip I would think. He was elevated a little and got about 10' of pure draw

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I think he's saying if there WAS something that was unequivocally the best that is what everyone would use. There isn't.
Yes, that's what I was implying. Even if there were simply certain cue/tip characteristics that worked better, I think we'd all know that already.

pj
chgo

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, that's what I was implying. Even if there were simply certain cue/tip characteristics that worked better, I think we'd all know that already.

pj
chgo
I have a friend that I play with on Sundays.

He has a cheap Cuetec with a hard tip and cannot draw the ball two feet more than one time in about ten attempts.

He can do it every time with my Becue with its soft tip.

Is it him, the tip, or the cue?

EddieBme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Through all the shafts that you owed or played with what Shaft drew the cue ball better ??? thanks
According to world champion Nick Varner, he suggests that you elevate the cue a little bit, and shoot down on the cb. Worth a try I guess.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I have a friend that I play with on Sundays.

He has a cheap Cuetec with a hard tip and cannot draw the ball two feet more than one time in about ten attempts.

He can do it every time with my Becue with its soft tip.

Is it him, the tip, or the cue?
Have you tried his Cuetec?

pj
chgo

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you tried his Cuetec?

pj
chgo
I have not tried his, but I have a similar one that I haven’t used in years.

I know it is easier to draw with my Becue than it was with the Cuetec.

There is another guy who comes in and plays with a Keith cue. He, also, has trouble with draw, but he is WAY better at drawing with my Becue without even going through a few practice shots first.

I will try the guy’s Cuetec tomorrow when we play.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Look at De Luna's draw shot at approx 5:27 into the match. This requires the right type of shaft and tip I would think. He was elevated a little and got about 10' of pure draw
The only requirement for a shot like this is to hit the CB low enough with fast-enough cue speed. It also helps if the cloth is really slick and fast and if the CB is new and clean. It also helps a little to have a harder tip, where a little less energy is lost during the hit. It also helps to have a cue that is the optimal weight for the shooter. Cue elevation is required to clear the cushion and get the tip low enough, but it really doesn't help the shot. For more info, see:

hit efficiency
tip hardness effects
getting maximum spin
not getting more spin with an LD shaft
optimal cue weight
draw shot cue elevation effects
draw shot cue weight effects

Anybody with a good stroke on slick/fast cloth can duplicate shots like these. FYI, I was able to fairly-closely reproduce De Luna's shot at the 8:59 point in this video:

I was also able to fairly-closely reproduce one of Corey's famous power draw shots at the 4:21 point in the same video. And I duplicated another famous Corey power draw shot at the 5:05 point in this video:

I obviously can't execute these shots as well or on the first try like they can (unless I get lucky); but again, with enough attempts, anybody with a good stroke and technique can shoot these shots on slick/fast cloth.

Enjoy!

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
The only requirement for a shot like this is to hit the CB low enough with fast-enough cue speed. It also helps if the cloth is really slick and fast and if the CB is new and clean. It also helps a little to have a harder tip, where a little less energy is lost during the hit. It also helps to have a cue that is the optimal weight for the shooter. Cue elevation is required to clear the cushion and get the tip low enough, but it really doesn't help the shot. For more info, see:

hit efficiency
tip hardness effects
getting maximum spin
optimal cue weight

Anybody with a good stroke on slick/fast cloth can duplicate shots like these. FYI, I was able to fairly-closely reproduce De Luna's shot at the 8:59 point in this video:

I was also able to fairly-closely reproduce one of Corey's famous power draw shots at the 4:21 point in the same video. And I duplicated another famous Corey power draw shot at the 5:05 point in this video:

I obviously can't execute these shots as well or on the first try like they can (unless I get lucky); but again, with enough attempts, anybody with a good stroke and technique can shoot these shots on slick/fast cloth.

Enjoy!
In my video post #82, the cue ball had about 6.5 feet of travel too the object ball, then it came back to the foot rail and back out another 3.5 feet, I can't remember seeing that type of action in a long time with that much distance between the cue ball and the ball to be pocketed. When Earl was a kid, he could do it but few can. Also, the cue ball had some outside spin on it when it hit the foot rail, it wasn't a center ball hit. I was just surprised that he was able to get that much ''action'' on Whitey. I don't think this cue ball movement would possible with the older cues (unless it was Bustamante). Watching Shaw (love his game) with that 70 inch cue???, that looks like it weights 30 oz is impressive what he can do with that Mallet. Also talked with a good friend who is Good Friends with Tyler. Tyler said he found a tip he did not like, because he got too much spin on his draw shots.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

hit efficiency
tip hardness effects
getting maximum spin
optimal cue weight

Enjoy!
Dave. I would like to see your attempts in my Beat My Draw thread!! :cool: (y)

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dave. I would like to see your attempts in my Beat My Draw thread!! :cool: (y)

It's on my "list," but my "list" is very long and I keep re-prioritizing it, pushing stuff like this down. The YouTube videos I have been creating recently take a ridiculous amount of time with planning, filming, editing, script writing, narrating, illustration, more editing, proofing, etc. It doesn't leave much time behind for "extracurricular activity."

Geosnookery

What kind of tip and shaft do you think makes it easiest?

And why isn't everybody using that?

pj
chgo
It’s a good question.

One reason is that Draw shots aren’t the only shot in billiards. Not Every one has the same style and thus same needs in a cue and in a tip. Coming from primarily a Snooker background I put English on 90% of shots and often have Tasmanian Devil levels of RPM on some shots. If playing wth something like a 13mm tip I’d approach some shots completely differently.
There are other reasons..