What Up and Coming Player(s) Have That "Buddy Hall" Stroke?

jwilliams

Lapsus calami!
Silver Member
Buddy Hall's name has been brought up here on a few different threads recently, and it got me to thinking how I always felt that he had the smoothest and best looking stroke in pool of all time.

So I was just curious what newer generation of players (if any) everyone thought had as comparable of or as effortless looking of a stroke as Buddy?

Keep in mind, I'm not necessarily talking about the best players mind you...just the guys that make it look like the cue ball is floating.

SVB comes to mind as being close, but I'm not sure he qualifies as "up and coming" anymore...so anyone else?

Jason Koopman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alex is from Ohio (Dayton I believe). Did you get a chance to watch the video? He played well. In fact he gave Johnny both of his losses in this event. The young man has alot of potential and it would not surprise me in the least if the pool world hears a lot about him... and soon. Another good one is when he played Nevel. I believe it was 8 ball (again featured on youtube) but I don't recall who was victorious.

Eagles89

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
stroke

Buddy Hall's name has been brought up here on a few different threads recently, and it got me to thinking how I always felt that he had the smoothest and best looking stroke in pool of all time.

So I was just curious what newer generation of players (if any) everyone thought had as comparable of or as effortless looking of a stroke as Buddy?

Keep in mind, I'm not necessarily talking about the best players mind you...just the guys that make it look like the cue ball is floating.

SVB comes to mind as being close, but I'm not sure he qualifies as "up and coming" anymore...so anyone else?
Dallas West has a very smoothed stroke great to watch.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You know, as good as Buddy's stroke specifically was (forgetting about his top of the world entire game...), I don't see any other pros with a similar style. Specifically the long pause. Now that I think about it, I'm surprised there are not a huge crop of players that tried to copy him exactly, and would now be the current pros. Thoughts on this?

Jason Koopman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You know, as good as Buddy's stroke specifically was (forgetting about his top of the world entire game...), I don't see any other pros with a similar style. Specifically the long pause. Now that I think about it, I'm surprised there are not a huge crop of players that tried to copy him exactly, and would now be the current pros. Thoughts on this?
I haven't see anyone stroke quite like buddy either as far as style itself, just similar results with a minumum amount of effort of the stroke. My only guess on this is many of the newer players (say 20's to mid 30's) grew up having favorite players such as Johnny, Efren, earl etc and I would speculate that many people when learning to play the game would try to emulate their favorite players stroke. ( I know I did, but my favorite player was Buddy) The other guys I mentioned have much faster warm up strokes and none of them have the pause at the end. Again, just my guess.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watch some of John Morra's recent matches. He has a long pause and a very deliberate, fluid stroke through the ball. Watching him play at Hard Times Sacramento on the stream was just crazy. Buddy Hall immediately came to mind.

jwilliams

Lapsus calami!
Silver Member
I haven't had a chance to watch it just yet...since they tend to frown on that here at work. ;-) But I definitely plan watching it either this evening or tomorrow night.

Alex is from Ohio (Dayton I believe). Did you get a chance to watch the video? He played well. In fact he gave Johnny both of his losses in this event. The young man has alot of potential and it would not surprise me in the least if the pool world hears a lot about him... and soon. Another good one is when he played Nevel. I believe it was 8 ball (again featured on youtube) but I don't recall who was victorious.

jwilliams

Lapsus calami!
Silver Member
You know...you're absolutely right on this. It actually seems to me like more players around the world today tend to play with more of a snooker type bridge and stroke...if not stance exactly. I'm thinking like Alex Pagulayan, Jose Parica, Darren Appleton, etc.

I'm basically referring to the longer bridges and shorter strokes...and I even tend to play that way myself.
But I'll be the first to admit, while it may be effective, it's nowhere near as pretty to watch.

I wonder if it has more to do with the cloth being faster and maybe not needing as powerful of a stroke to move the cue ball around?

It kind of sucks really because that big smooth stroke was the kind of thing that could get a guy in dead punch just by watching!

Last edited:

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Jesse Allred, comes to my thinking. He is a bad man.
Nice post. I talked to Buddy hall last night in Tampa, Fl.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

iwilleatyou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Butch Croft is your man...

It's identical. As far as this forum goes your not gonna find a better imitation of Buddy's sweet stroke. He plays pretty friggin strong too. Come to Jacksonville/Orange Park, best poker action east of the Mississippi and Butch will play just about anybody for hours on end. He's a cool guy too, he'll give lesser players reasonable weight for $20/set or so, great for learning. Don't see too many champions humble enough to do that. Neil Fujiwara, Dave Grossman and Larry Gail will probably do the same, Jax is great place to come learn to play if you're young with no responsibilites and have some talent.

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Works the middle, pendulum swing speed nearly always the same on all shots and was in closer to his next ball better than ANY player I've ever seen. I don't think he or Efren have any clones out there, much like Ciscero Murphy or Alan Hopkins.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Answer - ZERO! I can't think of any player who plays like Buddy, looks like Buddy or has his game. :rolleyes: