What would you do here?

Playing 9 Ball: In which pocket would you try to shoot the seven ball?

• A

Votes: 22 14.4%
  • B

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • C

Votes: 63 41.2%
  • D

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • E

Votes: 65 42.5%

• Total voters

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Another perspective...

pj
chgo

View attachment 604243
But this is the actual landing zone for E:
CB Positions.png

From anywhere within that triangle. You are playing the shot on the 7 in the same fashion. Although being off the rail and not near pocket A makes it easier. You're not scrambling to 'insurance' pockets as some have called it.

You can even go beyond that triangle and draw the CB 8 ball shape.

To each their own. I have noticed the poll results have tightened up. That means either more have determined E as the best option, or maybe some previous voters have seen the light.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
But this is the actual landing zone for E:
There are multiple landing spots for all the possible shots - I showed 3 for E to indicate it has more room for that one shot, but there's actually about the same total room for the other 4, and they're largely interchangeable.

pj
chgo

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
There are multiple landing spots for all the possible shots - I showed 3 for E to indicate it has more room for that one shot, but there's actually about the same total room for the other 4, and they're largely interchangeable.
Fair enough, but I think the total landing zone for all the other options might be close to the single area for E. The more improtant part is the idea that there is no "alternate" plan. No grey area where a decision to move to an alternate could weigh on the mind, and potential force some form of lower percentage CB movement.

I understand that some may fear the obstruction, and will probably label that fear as a 'wise' choice. I'm unsure what version of pool some people on this forum play, but I find I'm navigating around obstructions all the time. Not sure why this rather minor one is weighing so heavily on other's pattern choices.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I like E. Easy postion play to get on 7 and easy postion play to the 8.

Getting the speed just right to pocket the 7 in C and get to the 8 is tricky - side pocket D comes into play as a possible scratch, plus margin for error shooting the 7 ball to a far pocket like B or C is twice as tight as E. E is the closest pocket and widest margin for error.

Going for A or D might require forcing the cb to the 8 if position on the 7 is off just a little.

full

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
I see a lot of players, some very good ones, playing for C in situations like this. And the angle will be off a little, and they may scratch in that side pocket (D), or the cb might hit the point and go wonky. Then someone will say, "Wow, that was a bad roll".

But would it really be a bad roll? I mean, the risk was right there the whole time. To me, playing for the 7 in C requires perfect position. And if I don't get perfect and end up hitting that side pocket trying to get the cb to the 8, it wouldn't be a "bad roll". It would be my failure to see the obvious potential for disaster, or my lack of attention to details and therefore choosing the most low-percentage option on that 7.

Too often what we call a bad roll is actually just poor planning.

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Apparently you don’t play on tight, unforgiving pockets. If I have a choice between positioning to play ball in to a pocket 2 feet away versus a pocket 7 feet away, I’m choosing to play position to play it in the closer pocket virtually every time - as long as that allows a workable angle to play positioning for the next ball.

If you can’t shoot the seven up into either corner because you are concerned with missing the pockets then you might have bigger problems than trying to run out this rack.

Sent from my iPad using AzBilliards Forums

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see a lot of players, some very good ones, playing for C in situations like this. And the angle will be off a little, and they may scratch in that side pocket (D), or the cb might hit the point and go wonky. Then someone will say, "Wow, that was a bad roll".

But would it really be a bad roll? I mean, the risk was right there the whole time. To me, playing for the 7 in C requires perfect position. And if I don't get perfect and end up hitting that side pocket trying to get the cb to the 8, it wouldn't be a "bad roll". It would be my failure to see the obvious potential for disaster, or my lack of attention to details and therefore choosing the most low-percentage option on that 7.

Too often what we call a bad roll is actually just poor planning.
While the logic of percentage playing is sound, many of the known guns will keep it loose, favoring not missing over impeccable patterns. The context of this out is a factor too. Is it a hill hill final? Is it one out in a session that's been going on for a week? Is it just an exercise in pool theory?

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
While the logic of percentage playing is sound, many of the known guns will keep it loose, favoring not missing over impeccable patterns. The context of this out is a factor too. Is it a hill hill final? Is it one out in a session that's been going on for a week? Is it just an exercise in pool theory?

Most winning players will choose the higher percentage pattern play and shot selection when both are available.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most winning players will choose the higher percentage pattern play and shot selection when both are available.
I have to agree and I'd play 2 rails for E because it's a common shot and something I do habitually. But, is it really the soundest way? Is there a soundest way?

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
I have to agree and I'd play 2 rails for E because it's a common shot and something I do habitually. But, is it really the soundest way? Is there a soundest way?

For me, that's the soundest way. Plenty of area for shape on the 7 without having to get a perfect angle. Anywhere in that triangle area makes for a simple shot without having to force the cb to the 8.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
This thread is not building skill but it sure is revealing it.
This reminds me of a grampa story! (Imagine that:wink: )
I was with my son and grand daughter and he had been given a pool table. Friday evening get together with his friends. I explained to them that I was ranked Master by the BCAPL. It was not long until a young man was setting up to scoop the cue ball to make a jump shot. I gently stopped him and started to explain why that was a foul and a hazard to the table. In the course of my explanations he kept interrupting me. So I said, “I told you I am a master player and you keep interrupting me to tell me what YOU know! And what you know…..Ain’t Shit!” All of the kids were rolling on the floor. He was the big kid that was used to bogarting the conversation.

JC

Coos Cues
For me, that's the soundest way. Plenty of area for shape on the 7 without having to get a perfect angle. Anywhere in that triangle area makes for a simple shot without having to force the cb to the 8.
This excercise was a wake up call for me on things to practice. Getting to nice shape on the 7 isn't where I stumbled. I was amazed at how incompetent I was getting to the 8 consistently.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
This excercise was a wake up call for me on things to practice. Getting to nice shape on the 7 isn't where I stumbled. I was amazed at how incompetent I was getting to the 8 consistently.

Hmmm....Were you shooting the 7 into the nearest corner pocket? The shape to the 8 from there feels natural for me. Maybe a little outside needed depending on the angle.

Try it a few times playing for 7 into the other common far corner (pocket C), and see how consistently you get position on the 8 from there. That's really the only way to know which shot works best for you.

JC

Coos Cues
Hmmm....Were you shooting the 7 into the nearest corner pocket? The shape to the 8 from there feels natural for me. Maybe a little outside needed depending on the angle.

Try it a few times playing for 7 into the other common far corner (pocket C), and see how consistently you get position on the 8 from there. That's really the only way to know which shot works best for you.
Yes E I just found that I needed a little bit more running english than my memory wanted to recall. I kept getting too steep on the 8 which was still a good enough shape but not ideal.

JC

Coos Cues
Dr. Dave is free to add my innovative player rating system to his website at no charge :D

Pocket.JPG

JC

Coos Cues
And that’s the problem with that pattern.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums
No that's the problem with my skill set. People who can't get there from E sure as hell aren't running out to the corners.

I'm probably wrong though. That video of the "correct" play is sure to show up on this thread soon right?;)

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Yes E I just found that I needed a little bit more running english than my memory wanted to recall. I kept getting too steep on the 8 which was still a good enough shape but not ideal.
And that’s the problem with that pattern.
That's actually the best aspect of that pattern. Versatility.... Regardless if you come up a little short or a little long, it's still the same shot with a little tweak with the same type of spin. ...and the gap between short/long is largest of all your options.

This highlights the problem with all the other options.., the lack of versatility. If you blow passed or fall short of your intended shape on the 7, you now need to hope you get good enough on your alternative pockets to recover with a high precentage.