Whats the best way to fix a warped shaft???

$$PAPINO$$

Registered
Just wanting your knowledge to know whats your best way to take a bow out of the middle of a shaft....thanks david

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Imagine it's not there, is the easiest fix.:grin:
If it's bowed, it's hosed.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
What Joey said, pretend its not there. I have a 314 that does what it feels like. I straighten it and later, it does its own thing. I was playing Sat night
and found that the tip was coming off the table again. Up to that point
it didn't make a difference but all of a sudden it got into my head.

I got around it and was still potting balls. If the tip isn't jumping off the table, don't worry about it.

You can build a jig from scrap that works with surgical tubing. It can have varied results. If you're lucky to get a small warp out, chances are pretty good that it will come back at a later date. Nothing gained, nothing lost.

Last edited:

$$PAPINO$$

Registered
Thanks for the info blue hog... I have seen some of joeyincali's other post.. Didnt take long to figure out hes not to bright...lol
but thanks again...

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Ooops, I hope you were joking there.
Joey is one of the cue makers on here that all things considered, his word is gold.

My post wasn't meant to go over his. Just something that I tried and as I mentioned, had varied results.

ratcues

No yodeling, please.
Silver Member
I have seen some of joeyincali's other post.. Didnt take long to figure out hes not to bright...

Wow! Seven posts and you figured Joey out already. It took me a lot longer to learn that. :D Years of cocobolo dust have taken their toll.

Wood finds its "happy place" and it is usually not the same as yours. You can bend it back, hang it, yell at it, etc, but it will always go back to the place that makes it happy.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Wow! Seven posts and you figured Joey out already. It took me a lot longer to learn that. :D Years of cocobolo dust have taken their toll.

Wood finds its "happy place" and it is usually not the same as yours. You can bend it back, hang it, yell at it, etc, but it will always go back to the place that makes it happy.

At least I can still spell TOO. :D
Coco dust, sneeze.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Just wanting your knowledge to know whats your best way to take a bow out of the middle of a shaft....thanks david

The best fix is a Band saw and a fire place, but save the shaft collar because it can be used on another shaft.

JIMO

Arnot Wadsworth

Senior Cuemaker
Silver Member

Joey was absolutely correct. You can waste your time trying all kinds of remedies but they don't work. Breaking it in half is the best solution; then buy one that is straight.

<<<<Arnot thinks Joey in Cali is a very cool cuemaker>>>>

JerseyBill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joeyincali's

Thanks for the info blue hog... I have seen some of joeyincali's other post.. Didnt take long to figure out hes not to bright...lol
but thanks again...

Joey is a great guy and knows his stuff. What other post's are you talking about (specifically)? I haven't seen anything dumb come out of him, ever!
JerseyBill

steveinflorida

Silver Member
Strip all the wax and sealant off, then hang by the tip end. Wet it real good with hot water. It should be dry enough to burn by the time you get
back home with a new shaft.:D
No kidding. I have yet to be able to straighten a warped shaft. Have tried about everything there is to no avail. Good luck.

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cuemakers do this all the time, I can't believe nobody has mentioned it.

Put it in a lath and take a pass on it. Depending on how much it is bowed, you may then have the thinnest shaft ever played with.

Kelly

P.S. Yes, this post is in jest.

Arnot Wadsworth

Senior Cuemaker
Silver Member
Joey is a great guy and knows his stuff. What other post's are you talking about (specifically)? I haven't seen anything dumb come out of him, ever!
JerseyBill

The only dumb thing Joey ever did that I saw was to remove that beautiful girl he once had as a avatar and replace it with a bunch of cue ends. :)

ddcuerepair

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It still has one good use left.
Take it to the garden drive it in the ground.
Then tie your Tomato plant to it.