Whats your butt weigh?

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Some people like a light cue while others prefer a heavier one. I have tried them all. I prefer to play with a very light cue with a thinner butt. I have had cues I would have liked to play with if only they were light enough. It is not uncommon for the weight of a cues butt to be about what I want the entire cue to weigh.
I think 14.8 - 15.2 would be average? What could you get yours down to if you wanted it as light as possible. I can't believe how light the cue I just picked up was, and then I found a .6 oz weight in it as well. With no weight in it it's almost 12. oz no kidding!

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think for those who still use wood shafts, you always want a wood shaft to be at least close to the 4 ounce range. The best playing wood shafts that I have experienced are neither too light nor too heavy. So, given that, I find it best to work backwards, determine your close to ideal total cue weight and subtract 4 from that total to get a finer range of where you want the cue butt to weigh in at.

Those who like 19 ounce cues, use all wood cues, I would look for that 15/4 split cue butt to cue shafts, or very close to that range. The cue joint is also a factor of course as full SS joints that are thicker can add a lot of weight towards the front of a cue - in the end it is trial and error until each person finds out what works best for them .

My ideal is a 14.7 cue butt/ 4 ounce wood shaft/ sleeved SS / sleeved ivory/ or wood to wood joint set up. - purely from a weight standpoint.

Of course poorly designed cue butts that fill in their weight category by loading the back end of the cue butt with weight bolts above the one ounce range tend to throw off the cue balance point where the cue may become a drag on your stroke- not my choice.

I can't speak to CF shafts- I have no experience in that category as to how much they normally weigh - but I would probably want the same weight ratios in either type of set up.

Zerksies

I think for those who still use wood shafts, you always want a wood shaft to be at least close to the 4 ounce range. The best playing wood shafts that I have experienced are neither too light nor too heavy. So, given that, I find it best to work backwards, determine your close to ideal total cue weight and subtract 4 from that total to get a finer range of where you want the cue butt to weigh in at.

Those who like 19 ounce cues, use all wood cues, I would look for that 15/4 split cue butt to cue shafts, or very close to that range. The cue joint is also a factor of course as full SS joints that are thicker can add a lot of weight towards the front of a cue - in the end it is trial and error until each person finds out what works best for them .

My ideal is a 14.7 cue butt/ 4 ounce wood shaft/ sleeved SS / sleeved ivory/ or wood to wood joint set up. - purely from a weight standpoint.

Of course poorly designed cue butts that fill in their weight category by loading the back end of the cue butt with weight bolts above the one ounce range tend to throw off the cue balance point where the cue may become a drag on your stroke- not my choice.

I can't speak to CF shafts- I have no experience in that category as to how much they normally weigh - but I would probably want the same weight ratios in either type of set up.
CF shafts weight about the same as a wood one In the range of 4oz.

erriep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
rofl i was reading this thread on my PC , when my wife came silently behind me, she was reading over my shoulder, she saw the title and then she said (in french) ' WTF are you reading , dude ??? and don't tell me it's a pool forum , liar !!! '
mouahahahaha :-D

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
korsakoff. Howdy;

Interesting how the MO-3 had the Butt @ 16.5 oz. added to the shaft @ 7.0 oz.
(nearly twice that of all the others), yet it only equals 23.6 oz. ??? Interesting math.

hank

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
korsakoff. Howdy;

Interesting how the MO-3 had the Butt @ 16.5 oz. added to the shaft @ 7.0 oz.
(nearly twice that of all the others), yet it only equals 23.6 oz. ??? Interesting math.

hank
Thank you! Just re-weighed, and the shaft is 98 grams. Going to recheck everything. Made that chart months ago. I usually double check everything; obviously I did not double check this.

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Never seen any wood shaft that weighed 7oz's.
Thank you. See reply to Hank above. Need to re-weight everything. Table is all formulas, so if there are other errors, everything will adjust with any new weights.

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have deleted my original post, which, at the time, was post #9. There was an error in the table originally posted.

I weighed each shaft and butt again, twice, re-zeroing the scale before each instance. There were some exactly the same, some with 1 or 2 grams difference, and then there was the Meucci shaft that was 100 grams off. Not sure what happened there.

Thanks to Hank and garczar for calling this to my attention. The original post and the revised cue weight chart follows.

I have played the most over the years with the Bushka or the Sneaky Pete, so basically a 20 1/4 to a 20 1/2 ounce cue.

After I asked Scott Gilmore to make me some "house cues" for guests (they are as nice and play the same as my cues Richard Black made), I've been playing with all of them. Lately, I've played exclusively with "Texas", a 19 oz cue. I'm liking that more and more. I find that I prefer the ones with the 78% Butt 22% shaft weight distribution. I may even take the Wrapless back and ask Scott to reduce the weight and maybe make a shaft that is a bit heavier for overall balance. Need more time to evaluate all of that.

The table below shows the weights for my current cues:

Cue Weight Distribution Chart.jpg

tomatoshooter

rofl i was reading this thread on my PC , when my wife came silently behind me, she was reading over my shoulder, she saw the title and then she said (in french) ' WTF are you reading , dude ??? and don't tell me it's a pool forum , liar !!! '
mouahahahaha :-D
Sacre bleu!

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, weigh yourself then work your ass off and weigh yourself again.

Wow, No kidding? That is crazy light! That's the lightest I've ever heard of. Can you tell us what kind of hit you get from Balsa-wood? Lol
You want feel the ball? IMO you can't with a 20oz cue. Just my opinion.
Making a long story short.
Growing up and just learning I always chose the lightest cue on the wall when I didn't have my cue.
Many years later at the Derby City when the USBA held their Nationals, Dennis Dieckman came with a 13oz cue.
I loved it but it was sold, just not finished.

After a year of losing sleep of how much I loved that cue, I commissioned one while having a drink on his back porch in MI.

I don't know??? I'm playing with it now and sometimes switch to it's sister he gave to my son, but sometimes I play with the original order which is only 16.5oz.

Some say you need 17 or 18 minimum.
They may be right.
I'm too old to test out that theory.
I just know what makes me happy.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You want feel the ball? IMO you can't with a 20oz cue. Just my opinion.
Making a long story short.
Growing up and just learning I always chose the lightest cue on the wall when I didn't have my cue.
Many years later at the Derby City when the USBA held their Nationals, Dennis Dieckman came with a 13oz cue.
I loved it but it was sold, just not finished.

After a year of losing sleep of how much I loved that cue, I commissioned one while having a drink on his back porch in MI.

I don't know??? I'm playing with it now and sometimes switch to it's sister he gave to my son, but sometimes I play with the original order which is only 16.5oz.

Some say you need 17 or 18 minimum.
They may be right.
I'm too old to test out that theory.
I just know what makes me happy.
To each his own but in 40yrs of playing almost every good/great player i knew of used a 19+oz cue. Efren, Archer, Buddy, and a bunch of others all used 20oz-range cues. Don't need a light cue to 'feel the ball'.