When is a cue considered Warped?

TWOFORPOOL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently bought and returned a 2017 Manzino cue that my cue maker considered warped since it was 25,000 out just above of the wrap on the forearm. What is the general consensus of when a cue is considered warped?

Last edited:

str8eight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All cues move to some extent. 25 thou over the course of 5 years...? I'd doubt you'd notice it rolling on a table. Spinning something between centers though and you'll notice even the slightest movement. If you're looking for a perfectly straight cue that has no movent then good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I knew my cue was warped when it identified as a bowling ball.:ninja:

I'd say it is when you can't force it back into a straight cue.

Jeff Livingston

TWOFORPOOL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All cues move to some extent. 25 thou over the course of 5 years...? I'd doubt you'd notice it rolling on a table. Spinning something between centers though and you'll notice even the slightest movement. If you're looking for a perfectly straight cue that has no movent then good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did notice it when rolled on a table with a light behind the cue. Thank you for your valued opinion.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
It's only warped if I'm trying to get a better deal when purchasing. Most cues have a slight variation when rolled on the table. It makes no difference in play but I'd be sure to point it out when buying or selling.

EDRJR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was it 0.025 (twenty-five thousandths) or 0.0025 (twenty-five ten-thousandths) off? Big, big difference.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently bought and returned a 2017 Manzino cue that my cue maker considered warped since it was 25,000 out at the top of the wrap. What is the general consensus of when a cue is considered warped?
I might be reading this wrong, but why was runout measured at the wrap? The wrap is not a smooth flat surface, you need to measure on the cue itself, right above the wrap is fine. But make sure that the mandrel that holds the cue is dead nuts first.
.025" does not sound like a disaster to me.
If you wan't better advice, I suggest you post pictures or even better a video.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think some people get way to caught up wondering whether this or that is perfect in a cues construction.. In the end what counts is pocketing balls. Before I ever bought my first custom cue I played with war clubs in bars and pool halls. I won more than I lost with cues that were terribly warped... Loved beating those folks with their custom cues!

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I consider my playing cue like I used to consider my pickup truck: as a tool to get stuff done, not an end in itself.

"Just throw your toolbox in the back." Who cares if it scratches the bed? The bed is there for toolboxes and such, not for oogling over.

Your values may differ,

Jeff Livingston

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I consider my playing cue like I used to consider my pickup truck: as a tool to get stuff done, not an end in itself.

"Just throw your toolbox in the back." Who cares if it scratches the bed? The bed is there for toolboxes and such, not for oogling over.

Your values may differ,

Jeff Livingston
A good tool is nice and shiny. A great tool is beat up and 30 years old or more. I actually own and still use Rockwell sanders I purchased in the early 70's had to replace some parts along the way but they still are beasts, all metal housings and built to last. You know when Made in America meant it was the best tool you could buy!

TWOFORPOOL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I might be reading this wrong, but why was runout measured at the wrap? The wrap is not a smooth flat surface, you need to measure on the cue itself, right above the wrap is fine. But make sure that the mandrel that holds the cue is dead nuts first.
.025" does not sound like a disaster to me.
If you wan't better advice, I suggest you post pictures or even better a video.
Sorry for the confusion. It was measured on the forearm just above the wrap. I changed the original to reflect this.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
roll it on the table.......... if it goes "lump lump lump"................. it's warped............ there is no calibrated warp amount.............. if it's warped ...................... well then it's warped

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did notice it when rolled on a table with a light behind the cue. Thank you for your valued opinion.

So if you are playing with the cue, tip lifting or joint lifting off the table (I would consider warped). A cue butt that slightly has the joint lift is no big deal.

However if you are selling the cue you must disclose all defects

As others have said, if minor don't worry about it (wood moves).

mikesky

Registered
I am the person who sold Twoforpool the Manzino cue. My first mistake was to sell the cue on ebay. People like twoforpool can "demo" cues, then claim a defect to ebay and get a full refund on their money. I learned this lesson the hard way, never to sell higher end cues on ebay. I think the cue is strait, and I stand by everything I sell. Twoforpool has removed some of his posts about where on the cue he took measurements, because they were so inconsistent from the story he told me to the story he told you guys. He removed comments that supported the cue was strait, as he said in this post. I had no intention selling him a "warped" cue, like he said it was. Bob Manzino makes great, beautiful, and strait cues, they are the highest of quality, and I currently have a fancy one on order. I use the "warped" cue as my daily player, and I was a fool to even want to sell it. I'm glad everything happened the way it did.

slim123

25 thousandths is nothing that would affect playability. Nothing in this world is perfect nor will it stay Perfect Sounds like the buyer was having buyers remorse and needed an excuse to put his money back in his pocket

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When the cue is in a lathe, not between centers. But held in a chuck at the butt and the joint. Screw a shaft onto the cue. What does the tip do when the cue is slowly spun? If there’s a little wiggle, try and measure how much. Then take the whole cue and support it at the buttcap and tip. Put an indicator at the joint. Zero it out, and then slowly lift at the joint. Once the tip starts to lift up, read how much the cues own weight caused it to sag. If the first measurement from the lathe is greater than the second. The cue is warped. If the second measurement is greater, the cue isn’t warped. Why do I say this? Because when you hold the cue, it will have a slight sag between your hands. Unless you’re death gripping it. That should offset any perceived warp and allow a repeatable stroke no matter how the cue is held.