When will Shane start playing onepocket?

philw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What a year for Shane I have to agree with Jay that player of the year can only go to Shane. Shane has shown his prowess in 9 ball and 10 ball
but I really want to see him play one pocket. If Shane doesn't play one pocket I think someone should give him a crashcourse in the game. With his skills there's no telling how good he can be. Freddy? sound like a plan?
Afterall much of Efren's one pocket schooling came from you. Philw

beav99_4life

BPT Champion
Silver Member
Shane does play one pocket, just doesnt have all those little tricks of the trade in his bag since he hasn't played it that much. My buddies watched shane play t-rex at DCC last year getting a spot and a coach. They said that he executed his coaches instructions perfectly and ended up winning the set. He just needs to get that experience that comes with playing one pocket seriously.

iba7467

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Considering 1 pocket event payouts as opposed to 8, 9 , and 10 ball payouts, I believe Shane is best served continuing to work on his phenomenal break and running out, JMO.

I watched Shane beat everyone at Derby last year, including the 1pocket games he made. On the final day, he was making a game with Scott Frost and saying he couldn't get anymore action, so he was having to play 1 pocket.

BVal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
iba7467 said:
Considering 1 pocket event payouts as opposed to 8, 9 , and 10 ball payouts, I believe Shane is best served continuing to work on his phenomenal break and running out, JMO.

I watched Shane beat everyone at Derby last year, including the 1pocket games he made. On the final day, he was making a game with Scott Frost and saying he couldn't get anymore action, so he was having to play 1 pocket.
Did he play Frost? If so what was the game and outcome?

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
iba7467 said:

And considering what being a doctor or lawyer or even an engineer pays as opposed to playing 8,9, and 10 ball does, I believe Shane is best served by going back to school. Assuming money is what's important to him, that is. Somehow it seems to me that becoming an even greater player is really what's important to him, though, so learning one pocket might be a very beneficial thing after all.

-Andrew

gpeezy

for sale!
I think him and Scott Frost was the last action going at the Derby. I think he was giving Shane 10-7. Don't quote me on that. Shane made an out from no where to win one game. I remember Roadman tellin him "You just lost 10,000 with that run out".

iba7467

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Andrew Manning said:
And considering what being a doctor or lawyer or even an engineer pays as opposed to playing 8,9, and 10 ball does, I believe Shane is best served by going back to school. Assuming money is what's important to him, that is. Somehow it seems to me that becoming an even greater player is really what's important to him, though, so learning one pocket might be a very beneficial thing after all.

-Andrew

Great post. Just to express what I meant from my point of view. Shane obviously loves pool, as most of us here do. Shane could continue winning $14000, $15000, and $50000 tournaments - earning over $100,000 this year doing something he loves. Or he could focus more on other cue sport games, such as one pocket that paid $12,000 as its highest payout this year. Again, only my POV... as mine is a very monetary one, but Shane could very well focus on becoming the best all around player in the world (or ever) and risk a lower showing in some higher paying tournaments in any one game.

iba7467

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
gpeezy said:
I think him and Scott Frost was the last action going at the Derby. I think he was giving Shane 10-7. Don't quote me on that. Shane made an out from no where to win one game. I remember Roadman tellin him "You just lost 10,000 with that run out".

Well, I wasn't going to knock him, but whatever George. I'm just kiddin', I believe everyone knows Shane has the potential to play any game almost perfectly.

Last edited:

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
iba7467 said:
Great post. Just to express what I meant from my point of view. Shane obviously loves pool, as most of us here do. Shane could continue winning $14000, $15000, and $50000 tournaments - earning over $100,000 this year doing something he loves. Or he could focus more on other cue sport games, such as one pocket that paid $12,000 as its highest payout this year. Again, only my POV... as mine is a very monetary one, but Shane could very well focus on becoming the best all around player in the world (or ever) and risk a lower showing in some higher paying tournaments in any one game.

He will learn the game, just give him a little time. Once he catches the bug, he won't look back.

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Theres 2 1p matches I have around here somewhere that I thought of right away when reading this thread. 1 is Corey running over Parica in the same event I think when he broke HARD playing Shannon 1P. Corey was just learning, and IF he got a shot he was gonna get out or die trying because he rightly realized he can't out move Parica that early in his 1P learning.

The second was Johnny Archer playing Wade Crane I believe. Same thing, he was learning the game from Varner, and figured fire away, because he would get out moved other wise.

I bet Shane has a GOOD grasp on 1P. Being around all that action ALL the time you would have to learn the early moves. Not to mention guys like him keep thier eyes glued to the table when a 1P master like Efren is playing, and he will soak up every last drop of that knowledge IMO. My guess is Shane might play a ball under Scott Frost (purely from lack of high power moves) and maybe 2 balls below Chohan, Joiner, Alex....4 below Efren maybe

Gerry

philw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
iba7467 said:
I guess my original post was just showing my selfishness I wasn't looking at it from Shane's point of view I was really wondering what kind of creativeness and originality he could bring to the game. You see, as far as I'm concerned one pocket was pretty predictable (boring) until Efren energized the game with unthinkable moves and shots (magic). I think Efren has contributed to the games popularity in the past 15 yrs. I want to see if Shane possess that same kind of magic. Philw

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gerry said:
My guess is Shane might play a ball under Scott Frost (purely from lack of high power moves) and maybe 2 balls below Chohan, Joiner, Alex....4 below Efren maybe

Gerry

I personally dont think you are giving the top one pocket players enough credit.

Shane is possible the best 8/9/10 ball player in the world but it takes more than knowing a few moves to play up there with the top 1p players in the world.

As for the for chohan/svb match at the derby...Tony tried to bet 1500 a game after the initial set but svb's supporters didn't like the game.

Edit: I agre with ironman, when shane gets the desire, he could quickly be at the very top of the one pocket world as well.

gpeezy

for sale!
iba7467 said:
Well, I wasn't going to knock him, but whatever George. I'm just kiddin', I believe everyone knows Shane has the potential to play any game almost perfectly.
If they don't they will play him anyway.