Where does SVB rank all time?

Dimeball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone who thinks that Shane wouldnt do exactly what he’s doing to the top players today to the top players of yesterday are just kidding themselves trying to hang on to some memory or time that meant something to you and not pool reality. In most sports changes make the game easier, basketball and football for example, touch someone and it’s a foul or interference, yuk. Not in pool, it’s gotten tougher, smaller pockets and better equipment. Let’s be serious, how would’ve the old guys performed at the World Pool Masters on that friggin table… maybe worse, but definitely not better by any stretch. The best is nothing more than spot in time which doesn’t stop for anyone, today’s best probably won’t the same person as tomorrow’s best, literally.
no bad feelings to anyone here, have a nice day.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Yeah, sorry this is confusing to you. If the pockets are easier, then true greatness is less likely to shine through. You have more people playing better because of easier conditions, then it's harder to win every match.

So in this case, you're comparing apples to oranges. People made the argument that you can't judge what you've seen of the old school players because they were playing that well on easier conditions, and you're trying to say that that invalidates a completely different argument that Shane hasn't fared as well under easier conditions because other players can play better than they otherwise would BECAUSE of the easier condtions...

I mean you act as though those two arguments are mutually exclusive when they are actually self supportive...

Jaden
You're right, I do find most of the discussions on AZB confusing. ...or maybe better said, the comments of some just"baffling".

The debate is meant to be about SVB and his place among the greats. His fans will make many excuses for a poor result, one of which was the 'large' pockets of the recent 9 ball Worlds. Whether or not they should be considered large is moot for this discussion. However, if SVB's greatness wasn't great enough to overcome the abilities of the lesser players on 'easier' tables, then wouldn't that mean those who managed decent and consistent results on easier tables of an older era were greater than SVB...? ...again, pick one.

Does a strong legacy on easier equipment place you higher on the GOAT list or not...? If that's the case, then SVB's spot plummets, and simply can't be close to top 10.

I do fully understand the arguments are supportive. What's entertaining is the SVB fanboy is blind to either part of that reality depending on how they are attempting to bolster the SVB legend.

Frankly, I think the above argument is dumb. The easier pockets didn't cause his loss at the Worlds. He simply got out played by someone who'd normally be a lesser opponent. I also think "greatness" should be measured by titles and he has no lack of them. GOAT arguments always fall into era debates. Which is why I don't bother with them.

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're right, I do find most of the discussions on AZB confusing. ...or maybe better said, the comments of some just"baffling".

The debate is meant to be about SVB and his place among the greats. His fans will make many excuses for a poor result, one of which was the 'large' pockets of the recent 9 ball Worlds. Whether or not they should be considered large is moot for this discussion. However, if SVB's greatness wasn't great enough to overcome the abilities of the lesser players on 'easier' tables, then wouldn't that mean those who managed decent and consistent results on easier tables of an older era were greater than SVB...? ...again, pick one.

Does a strong legacy on easier equipment place you higher on the GOAT list or not...? If that's the case, then SVB's spot plummets, and simply can't be close to top 10.

I do fully understand the arguments are supportive. What's entertaining is the SVB fanboy is blind to either part of that reality depending on how they are attempting to bolster the SVB legend.

Frankly, I think the above argument is dumb. The easier pockets didn't cause his loss at the Worlds. He simply got out played by someone who'd normally be a lesser opponent. I also think "greatness" should be measured by titles and he has no lack of them. GOAT arguments always fall into era debates. Which is why I don't bother with them.
It’s effin hilarious, some of the dumb statements people make. Why would anyone lend credence to the opinions of the biased and misinformed? The most qualified people to express an opinion on the original topic, are the other top pros. What do they say about where SVB ranks?

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
It’s effin hilarious, some of the dumb statements people make. Why would anyone lend credence to the opinions of the biased and misinformed? The most qualified people to express an opinion on the original topic, are the other top pros. What do they say about where SVB ranks?

Those top pro players must be some pretty fucking good railbirds
Maybe Josh Filler, Dennis, and Efren will all chime in and straighten everybody out.
Seriously, the dumb people on AZ are all we have because the top pros typically do not post.
This is an open forum where people want opinions, even lame opinions, what else is there to do around here.
Personally I would rather talk bout pool cues because everybody I know came here originally for the cue gallery, cue reviews, and especially the wanted/for sale forums.

I do remember when there was this deaf kid who never misses a ball was wining all the local tournaments around Denver, and a few months later he won the US Open.
We all watched it unfold.
Shane isn't the greatest but definitely the sentimental favorite on AZ which goes all the way back to 2007.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Maybe Josh Filler, Dennis, and Efren will all chime in and straighten everybody out.
Seriously, the dumb people on AZ are all we have because the top pros typically do not post.
This is an open forum where people want opinions, even lame opinions, what else is there to do around here.
Personally I would rather talk bout pool cues because everybody I know came here originally for the cue gallery, cue reviews, and especially the wanted/for sale forums.

I do remember when there was this deaf kid who never misses a ball was wining all the local tournaments around Denver, and a few months later he won the US Open.
Shane isn't the greatest but definitely the sentimental favorite on AZ which goes all the way back to 2007.
i always thought they came here to discuss CTE aiming but got relocated...... 😱 😂 😂 😂 😂

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I was actually asking that question. I’ve seen several top pros say SVB is the best in the world and one of the greatest ever. I’m not going to dig up links and invest a bunch of time in debating the details. I’m just gonna go with the judgement of Shane’s peers. I’m on a little break from putting new gutters on my house, back at it. I enjoy this site, just sometimes people say goofy stuff

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Your right, I don’t know a thing about pro’s. Never even met one. 😉

I’m not sentimental about any player-except myself and that’s all over with.

best,
Fatboy<——-professional rail bird

penguin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was actually asking that question. I’ve seen several top pros say SVB is the best in the world and one of the greatest ever. I’m not going to dig up links and invest a bunch of time in debating the details. I’m just gonna go with the judgement of Shane’s peers. I’m on a little break from putting new gutters on my house, back at it. I enjoy this site, just sometimes people say goofy stuff
Which peers would that be?

Too many people believe Shane walks on water and can do no wrong, but how can he be considered the best ever when he refuses to play all other games against top players unless the conditions are basically 100% in his favor?

Believe it or not, there is more to pool than just 9 and 10-ball on big pockets with a template rack.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Too many people believe Shane walks on water and can do no wrong, but how can he be considered the best ever when he refuses to play all other games against top players unless the conditions are basically 100% in his favor?

Believe it or not, there is more to pool than just 9 and 10-ball on big pockets with a template rack.
If SVB doesn't like 1 pocket why should he play it ?
Those gaff tables and flat out junk that some trnmnts are played on are a joke to "professional" pool.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

You mean gambling? Because he does pretty well in tournaments of other games against the world's best.

mattydrva

After watching the 9 ball clinic SVB put on at Texas Open this weekend + old videos of Sigel, Hall, Strickland, Reyes, etc. on Youtube I'd say SVB ranks as the best rotation player ever though I'm dealing with small sample sizes obviously, haha. His speed control is the part of his game that, to me, is more remarkable than the much ballyhooed break shot. To watch him time and time again drop the cue ball on a dime after traveling over four feet was something his competitors were not consistently doing. I've seen this at other events too.

If SVB isn't Michael Jordan with a pool cue then I don't know who is. Europe and Asia obviously have great players too though how many of them have been at or near Shane's level for as long as he has? Truly a remarkable player who is one of the best ever with rare ability and a joy to watch. I'd fathom it will be many moons before America produces another player of his level again, if ever. Let's continue to enjoy his excellence while we can.

SomeDeadGuy

SVB definitely in the mix of GOAT. Like all sports it’s hard to compare eras. In 1970 there were 3.7billion people. Today 7.5b with millions of more players World wide. Was SVB the greatest of his era? Yes. Greatest of all time? He could give an one of the greatest listed all they wanted in their prime.

penguin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was SVB the greatest of his era? Yes. Greatest of all time? He could give an one of the greatest listed all they wanted in their prime.
If they were both at their primes, the moment one of those "greatest players from the past" asks Shane to gamble on slow cloth with a wood rack, Shane would refuse to play.

Last edited:

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If they were both at their primes, the moment one of those "greatest players from the past" asks Shane to gamble on slow cloth with a wood rack, Shane would refuse to play.
Shane grew up playing on barboxes. Wood racks would be a improvement over the plastic ones. Barboxes aren't known for their fast cloth.