Which country has the best pool players?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I still wonder what a Mosconi cup would look like with an Asian and Middle east addition. MR should think about that as it has serious potential to open up the pool Industry/sport to a much wider audience. Honestly, USA and EUROPE would be in trouble.
Europe would be in trouble? No, they wouldn't. A Mosconi style European team of FSR, Filler, Shaw, Kaci, and Gorst would sport an average Fargo of 835 and would be favored over any other team in the world.

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Europe would be in trouble? No, they wouldn't. A Mosconi style European team of FSR, Filler, Shaw, Kaci, and Gorst would sport an average Fargo of 835 and would be favored over any other team in the world.
That’s what the US takes on, every year, with a team that averages below 800.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

i don't know, i think they could be. top 10 has 5 asians, two of whom are brothers.. with the top 10 it's a coin toss in a race to 5 imo..

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
i don't know, i think they could be. top 10 has 5 asians, two of whom are brothers.. with the top 10 it's a coin toss in a race to 5 imo..
Wow, it's a little early in the year for the "anyone can win a race to five" argument. The Mosconi is a marathon, not a sprint, and it's awfully hard to win the eleven matches needed if you're not the stronger team.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Come and spend a week in the Philippines bouncing around to the little pool halls and to a few of the nicer places in Manila and I bet the naysayers would change your mind.

Another sport that Filipinos will amaze you is basketball, if they had a 6' and under league i would bet the Philippines could definitely compete way up there. Again, it's another sport that's available everywhere, is generally free to play so it's a no brainer for them to play well.

Maybe i am biased as a foreigner living in the land of legends for many years but I think the comment earlier about the # of 800 Fargo scores speaks volumes.

This comment is true for the rural areas of PI.

PI invests in basketball and boxing.

OldOrvis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, I meant pros.

Hypothetically say a Mosconi style tournament with all countries, who wins?
Philippines hands down done deal.... race to 5/10/10000 they win and have players that we have never even heard up that would really put a beat down on 99 percent of USA players

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can you name 10 Americans ? Just curious
Ten "good" Americans? We have hundreds if not a few thousand good players. Basically, we may have the most amateur players in the world. Trouble is getting enough elite professionals to rise up out of all the "good" players. The 650 to 725 fargo rated players is who I'm thinking of.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just exactly how far away from being a single country is the European Union ??
When I was still in my single digits-old I learned that a country has a defined perimeter -- whether an island country or a country amidst a cluster of nearby countries.
Arnaldo
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have long slow nights at work so I have time to think. Just figured I'd start a post to see what other people think.
Get back to work, THam. The gal in room 5 entertaining "guests" needs new towels.

Arnaldo
________________________________________________________________________________________

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yup, Chinese Taipei vs Philippines is a near coin toss. I took a while before choosing.

I would like to see that match up, although when watching the Philippine players one would think they would not be as good due to their looser play and mechanics.

Questions like this would highlight out the benefit of having a world wide rating system like Fargo. With 20 minutes of data mining and sorting we can find out which country has the most 800 level players, what country has the most 700-800 players, even what country has the most 350 players if we wanted.

I keep trying to get a league vs league event going in my area, TAP, APA, NAPA, USAPL, etc... all get their top 3-5 players into teams, the rest of the league members back them, and play a weekend tournament to see what league in the area has the best shooters.

Reactions: sjm

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
Questions like this would highlight out the benefit of having a world wide rating system like Fargo. With 20 minutes of data mining and sorting we can find out which country has the most 800 level players, what country has the most 700-800 players, even what country has the most 350 players if we wanted.
I imagine there are more unrated players in PI than rated players, making your searching that much more difficult.
I can probably name 10, 600+ skilled players in Illinois alone, who have no games in Fargo.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can you name 10 Americans ? Just curious
Svb
Sky
Tyler styer
Billy Thorpe
Chris reinhold
Shane Wolford
Hennessy
T-rex
Josh Roberts
Jeremy sossei

(If dechaine and iceberg were active they would be in there)

Regardless, these 10 men could BE COMPETITIVE against any 10 on any given day in a mosconi type format. They won't be favored, likely wouldn't win, but, imo, they wouldn't embarass themselves.

T-REX has some pretty impressive wins over international competition, and could be,imo, an elite rotation player if he focused on it. Many of the others on this lost as well.

I've said it before, 9 ball, if the break is working, is connecting the dots and pocketing balls, which all the dudes on my list can run racks.

Question, maybe for at large, but what single country, not continent, had the best representation in the last 32 or sweet 16 of the last big MR tourney?

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Question, maybe for at large, but what single country, not continent, had the best representation in the last 32 or sweet 16 of the last big MR tourney?
The most recent big Matchroom event was the UK Open just 2 weeks ago. If I counted correctly the Last 32 had players from 19 different countries. The leader was Great Britain (which is actually more than one nation) with 4 players, followed by Germany and USA with 3 each. Six countries had 2 each (Philippines, Finland, Austria, Poland, Spain, and Taiwan) and 10 countries had just 1. Here is the Last 64 bracket: https://nineball.prpbilliards.com/ukopen2023/bracket/2

I imagine the distribution was quite a bit different in some other recent events.

Last edited:

THam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Mosconi cup with USA vs Europe is hardly fair in terms of Fargo, but the USA still finds a way to compete some years when the average Fargo is closer to 750 than 800 like Europe.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
The Mosconi cup with USA vs Europe is hardly fair in terms of Fargo, but the USA still finds a way to compete some years when the average Fargo is closer to 750 than 800 like Europe.

Fargo is a player rating system, not a competition predictor. Comparing 800 to 750 is like comparing A+ to A- students the difference is negligble.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Fargo is a player rating system, not a competition predictor. Comparing 800 to 750 is like comparing A+ to A- students the difference is negligble.
I think it's closer to comparing A students to B students. The difference is obvious, and hardly subtle.