Which cue brand has won more tournaments in the history of pool?

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
I know that Styler and Gorst both are sponsored by Cuetec, and they both play with a CF shaft, so I thought to myself it must be a cuetec cynergy.

But to my shock, yesterday when I looked into it clearly, they seem to be playing with a different CF, I think it might be a revo, I need some people to clarify this to me, because I looked into the ferrule and it doesn't have that short white ferrule, both Styler and Gorst have fully black shaft, that looks just like the revo.

You can see for yourself here in these 2019 matches, ill post links, one for Styler, and the other for Gorst.

It really surprised me, how can you be sponsored by Cuetec, then use Revo shaft in stealth.

1) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_QfexGfhXQ <---- Styler, but here he also have predator badge, so maybe he departure cuetec after the mosconi and joined predator?

2) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqeEleeGmEo <--- Gorst, shaft is fully black, no ferrule, just like revo, watch it on closeups.

Styer went back to predator after a clue weeks with cuetec because he couldn't adjust to it.

Last I saw, Gorst is still using his cuetec stuff.

For anyone saying cuetec is leading the way with CF, I say hogwash. Out of the 7 brands of CF I tried, cuetec was at the very bottom for me.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Styer went back to predator after a clue weeks with cuetec because he couldn't adjust to it.

For anyone saying cuetec is leading the way with CF, I say hogwash. Out of the 7 brands of CF I tried, cuetec was at the very bottom for me.

Cool, but can you check the Gorst video I showed, his shaft does not look like a cuetec CF, more like a revo.

JAlan

Gerbil Jeff
Silver Member
My guess would be Meucci as well. This is taking into consideration ALL tournaments from weekly tourneys in little pool halls and bars to national tourneys. As many have said, back in the 80s, early 90s, Meuccis were everywhere and all kinds of pros used them. As a result, any amateur who could afford one got one and used it. I would guess they are probably still a very good selling cue today actually volume wise.

We are actually very fortunate these days to have such a huge selection of nice production cues and for that matter an amazing selection of custom cue makers as well. So many options out there today.

The question is usually which player has won more tournaments than the rest, but here I am changing it to cue brand topic, to see why some cues win more tournaments than others.

I know it is the player, and yada yada, but I'm just making it 1) fun topic, 2) little info, 3) little recognition to cue brands.

To me, I think it is a toss-up between

1) Cuetec, considering that in the '90s Ellison Fisher and Earl Strickland played with a Cuetec, and then came SVB playing a Cuetec and winning lots of tournaments with that cue.

2) Meucci, Lots of pros used to play with a Meucci in the '80s Era, thinking, Rempe, Buddy Hall, Earl, Nick, and in the new Era we have new pro's using Meucci and winning tournaments like Corey Deuel, Woodward, Hatch...etc

Any other brands that you think compete, and how can we get a valid statistic on this?

Predator, and I am not sure, but I would like to add Fury and Peri cues to this list.

They sponsor many Pro players from Asia, and that is where the very best players in the world are from.

Jayson Shaw plays for Peri cues, and I imagine many others pros do too.

I do not know the answer to the question though.

If asking about the past, then I would say the answer would be between Meucci, Joss, or Predator.

Cuetec only had Earl and Allison Fisher. Oh, can't believe I almost forgot Shane Van Boening. I see that Fedor Gorst is playing with a Cuetec now too, and he is arguably the best right now.

My bet is Dufferin. I think they supplied most of the house cues for decades.

Hu

My 1st thought to the question was that the OP was referring to Pro tournaments though.

If asking about all tournaments, then the answer is probably Lucasi.

I say that because Lucasi has been so popular among the league players, and for a very long time.

schon would be my guess
many great players played schon

Yeah, but can the average player afford a Schon? They have historically been the highest priced production cues on the market.

I am thinking that more strong players might own a Lucasi. They are good cues, and they are more affordable then a Schon.

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
Yeah, but can the average player afford a Schon? They have historically been the highest priced production cues on the market.

I am thinking that more strong players might own a Lucasi. They are good cues, and they are more affordable then a Schon.

lucasi? LOL. ummmmm, no

lucasi? LOL. ummmmm, no

A Lucasi hits every bit as good as a Schon in my opinion, but they do hit different. Have you ever tried their Hybrid shafts?

Anyways, I believe that the Asian cue manufacturers are probably sponsoring the most Pro players, and the most pool tournaments are probably played in Asia, from the Junior level on up.

Predator, Peri, Lucasi, Universal, Fury. They all probably have many Pros that play with their cues.

Last edited:

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
SW? Aranas shoots with one. Some of those Taiwan monsters shoot with SW. Lots of Chinese players as well.
And problem with the pros is they want to get paid for using sticks.

if a cue maker approaches a traveling pro, the pro is advertising for the cue maker. hes not supposed to get paid??? just get a free stick that costs peanuts for a company to make? maybe a custom cue maker can give a strong local guy a free stick.
I don't know how it works with the sponsors in pool, but other sports the players get paid to wear brands.

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
I know that Styler and Gorst both are sponsored by Cuetec, and they both play with a CF shaft, so I thought to myself it must be a cuetec cynergy.

But to my shock, yesterday when I looked into it clearly, they seem to be playing with a different CF, I think it might be a revo, I need some people to clarify this to me, because I looked into the ferrule and it doesn't have that short white ferrule, both Styler and Gorst have fully black shaft, that looks just like the revo.

You can see for yourself here in these 2019 matches, ill post links, one for Styler, and the other for Gorst.

It really surprised me, how can you be sponsored by Cuetec, then use Revo shaft in stealth.

1) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_QfexGfhXQ <---- Styler, but here he also have predator badge, so maybe he departure cuetec after the mosconi and joined predator?

2) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqeEleeGmEo <--- Gorst, shaft is fully black, no ferrule, just like revo, watch it on closeups.

no idea if they did go back, last I remember they were with cuetec, they may have gone back. and from what ive seen in pool halls and read so far, cuetecs feel more like wood and people like the white ferrule. and I don't know what pro player cant adjust to a cue, that seems like gossip more than fact. and if cuetec was at the bottom for you, its bc you have brand prejusdice. lol.

if a cue maker approaches a traveling pro, the pro is advertising for the cue maker. hes not supposed to get paid??? just get a free stick that costs peanuts for a company to make? maybe a custom cue maker can give a strong local guy a free stick.
I don't know how it works with the sponsors in pool, but other sports the players get paid to wear brands.

I do not know, but I believe that some of the cue makers are paying the Pros not in cash, but in pool cues.

Jayson Shaw for example. He has raffled off many brand new Peri cues that he has had, to his Facebook followers.

John Morra has done the same thing with many Meucci cues that he has received from Meucci. Brand new, unplayed. He has raffled them off to his facebook followers.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have THE cue that C.J. Wiley used to win the "Million Dollar Challenge Tournament" in Dallas in 1996. The tournament where Earl ran the 11 racks with a Cuetec to win the million dollars.

The cue that C.J. used was a prototype RS-11 by McDermott.

It is still in the original condition from that tournament and still has the same tip on it.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I have THE cue that C.J. Wiley used to win the "Million Dollar Challenge Tournament" in Dallas in 1996. The tournament where Earl ran the 11 racks with a Cuetec to win the million dollars.

The cue that C.J. used was a prototype RS-11 by McDermott.

It is still in the original condition from that tournament and still has the same tip on it.

That is relevant

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh this old thread that I created, I still think it is a Meucci if you count all the official tournaments from the 70's 80's and 90's.

Everyone was playing with a Meucci back then, even now I checked fb meucci page and they have like 9 pro's playing with a Meucci.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Oh this old thread that I created, I still think it is a Meucci if you count all the official tournaments from the 70's 80's and 90's.

Everyone was playing with a Meucci back then, even now I checked fb meucci page and they have like 9 pro's playing with a Meucci.

From 1880-1970, there were roughly 4 million tournaments

The vast majority were won with a Brunswick

It will take 1000 years before Meucci catches up with the current tournament frequency

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From 1880-1970, there were roughly 4 million tournaments

The vast majority were won with a Brunswick

It will take 1000 years before Meucci catches up with the current tournament frequency

I guess because back in these days there were only a Brunswick as a top brand and nothing else? That's just a guess from my part.

But if that's the case, then I'd like to rephrase the question or rather change the question to:

Which cue brand has won more tournaments in 1960 up to this point.

The reason why I said 1960+ is because I'd like to see the answer when there is an actual competition, in other words, we want to see the results when there are a lot more companies rather than one or two, you know what I mean.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not an expert on the history of cues but my impression is for decades the only cue people played with was Brunswick.

If that's the case Brunswick was winning every tournament and now everybody else is slowly catching up.