Who are the best butterfly cue makers

Drawman623

Box Cue lover
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
Dieckman, Barrenbrugge & others

Dave Barrenbrugge makes a magnificent butterfly cue. One of, if not the best, I have ever seen. And he is a contemporary of Dennis Dieckman. I would want to own examples of one or both of their work if I were in search of the best butterfly.

I have also seen devastating work from Paul Mottey, Richard Black and James White. Thus some of the top cuemakers known for traditional points do the butterfly as well.

More recently, I have been impressed with Andy Gilbert whose work is very precise, and Mike Webb, who has put out some beautiful work with butterfly splices too.

JimmyRayK

Gina collector
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
154   0   0
Dave Barrenbrugge

All the names above do great work, but I would have to go along with Dave Barrenbrugge. Americans have not been exposed to much of his stuff, because of his relationship with Lucky. But the cues that I have seen in person are absolutely incredible!!

Just my opinion,
Jimmy

Last edited:

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Here are some from Billy Webb!! These are sick man!!!!! His technique can only be matched and exceeded by Paul fennelli!!!!!!

web2.jpg

web5.jpg

web7.jpg

web6.jpg

web8.jpg

These are hard to beat!!!!

Last edited:

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 97.9%
140   3   0
Manwon

You read my mind. Saw some of his cues in Mobile Alabama a few years ago. Some were fancier than what you have posted and they are not cheap!
Nick :)

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
nick serdula said:
You read my mind. Saw some of his cues in Mobile Alabama a few years ago. Some were fancier than what you have posted and they are not cheap!
Nick :)

Nick they are certainly going up in price!!!!!!!!!!!

RascalDoc

RascalDoc
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
ya know

Dieckman is one of the early guys doing this. And made a set of videos, and really does it the old fashioned way. Glues blocks of wood together and turns them and voila, butterflies. Although I consider him a friend I have not had the pleasure yet of owning one of his cues but I did have the pleasure of hitting with one this year at SBE and it sure hit as nice as it looked.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
not sure about the best but Kyle Van den Bosch of Mariposa Cues makes one hell of a butterfly cue......

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
skins said:
not sure about the best but Kyle Van den Bosch of Mariposa Cues makes one hell of a butterfly cue......

I certainly would not argue with you, he builds a beautiful Butterfly Cue. He has also been at for long time, it is a shame that he took a break from Cue Making with his ability it is hard to imagin what he would be doing now.

I have always liked the wood screw joint that he and few others use for thier cues, I am just glad he is back building cues again.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Jimmyrayk said:
All the names above do great work, but I would have to go along with Dave Barrenbrugge. Americans have not been exposed to much of his stuff, because of his relationship with Lucky. But the cues that I have seen in person are absolutely incredible!!

Just my opinion,
Jimmy

Hello Jimmy, if you have some photo's of his Butterfly Cues please post them.

Thanks

Simple

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

pharaoh68

Banned
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Simple said:
Cues in this topic are terribly overloaded. And in my opinion, "standard" points combined with butterfly splices look horrible.

In my opinion, your opinion is not only biased but a little off.

I understand a sense of nationalistic pride but you have to open your eyes to the fact that these guys (mostly American cuemakers) are taking an age-old splicing technique and putting modern twists on them. They are pushing the design envelope. They are NOT just taking butterflies and adding more butterflies and throwing a few extra butterflies in until the onlooker goes into seizures from looking at a cue!!!

They may not be your taste but do not knock them.

Personally, even the ugliest of cues listed by other posters impress me far more than these which are the very definition of "overloaded" (to use your own words).

http://fota.mota.ru/view.php?id=197048&img=11

Simple

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pharaoh68 said:
In my opinion, your opinion is not only biased but a little off.

I understand a sense of nationalistic pride but you have to open your eyes to the fact that these guys (mostly American cuemakers) are taking an age-old splicing technique and putting modern twists on them. They are pushing the design envelope. They are NOT just taking butterflies and adding more butterflies and throwing a few extra butterflies in until the onlooker goes into seizures from looking at a cue!!!

They may not be your taste but do not knock them.
First of all, my opinion has nothing to do with my and cuemakers nationality. This is a question of taste. And I don't knock anybody, don't get me wrong. They do very good job, but I don't like their butterfly splice cues, that's all.

johnf_34

JF - Fitz Cues!!
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
manwon said:
Here are some from Billy Webb!! These are sick man!!!!! His technique can only be matched and exceeded by Paul fennelli!!!!!!
These are hard to beat!!!!

You are definitely right! I never was much of a butterfly fan....but not too long ago, I started taking a closer look at some fancier butterfly cues and really noticed the amount of work in them. I then started liking them. All of the cues you posted are completely outstanding!

Thanks for posting those pictures Manwon!

Hunter

The King of Memes
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
131   0   0
manwon said:
Hello Jimmy, if you have some photo's of his Butterfly Cues please post them.

Thanks
Hi Craig,

Look at the link on my post in this thread for pics of Dave Barenbrugge's work.

Regards,

Steve

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
johnf_34 said:
You are definitely right! I never was much of a butterfly fan....but not too long ago, I started taking a closer look at some fancier butterfly cues and really noticed the amount of work in them. I then started liking them. All of the cues you posted are completely outstanding!

Thanks for posting those pictures Manwon!

I posted them for Billy Webb, like I said his techniques are totally outstanding and Unique. The only person who makes Butterflys that over lap like Billy's do is Paul Fanelli, and even Billy says that Pauls work is the Best there is currently, and I certainly can't argue with that.

All I can say is get them soon because the price is certainly going up.

Thanks for the kind words and have a nice day!!!!!!!

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Hunter said:
Hi Craig,

Look at the link on my post in this thread for pics of Dave Barenbrugge's work.

Regards,

Steve

Thanks Steve, those are certainly some great looking cues, and very unique designs. This is the first time I have seen a Butterfly cue made by Dave. All I can say is Wow!!!