Who are the 'Old Schoolers' of AZ

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im probably medium school, joined in 2011
On the bubble, however your posts are excellent and that counts for a lot in my book. Your table and cloth color also affirms your character and mind set. So I’m leaning to the old school side. How long a persons been in the pool world counts for more than how long they been on a site.

I got here a bit late as well, but in the early 2000’s I wasn’t doing much with pool-playing at home most of the time-but I dropped out of the pool scene for a few years-always knew I’d be back. I’m a lifer

Best
Fatboy😃

Last edited:

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
On the bubble, however your posts are excellent and that counts for a lot in my book. Your table and cloth color also affirms your character and mind set. So I’m leaning to the old school side. How long a persons been in the pool world counts for more than how long they been on a site. I got here a bit late as well, but in the early 2000’s I wasn’t doing much with pool.
Agree :)
also here just since 2010 or so-- so "site wise" a medium noob :p
since 1984 in the pool world all in all.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agree :)
also here just since 2010 or so-- so "site wise" a medium noob :p
since 1984 in the pool world all in all.
I started playing on barboxes in 80 or 81. Went to the pool room in 85, All-In.

I’ve taken a couple breaks but pool will always be #1 for me. It’s in me, not on me. And I love that!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I haven't hit two balls in months but I'm still a "poolplayer!" And I always will be. ;)
What's really weird is that I still believe I can get back in stroke in just a few days. Last time I tried (over three years ago) I made it into the money in a couple of Senior events and one AZB get together. But I'm still young, only 77, so I've got lots of time. :D
UJ Pucket told me something I never forgot, and he was in his 80's and still going strong at the time. He said, "How old would you be if you didn't know when you were born?" Seemed trite at first, but later on I got his point.

Last edited:

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Started playing in a bowling alley in 1965 and then moved to poolrooms in 1966 at the age of 15.
Poolrooms are where the education really begins.
Taking public transportation around Philly to the different rooms.
In 1970 sold my Hoppe stick and Brunswick snap top case for what I paid for it....$50, and headed off to college.
School, work, family, raising kids, yadayadayada.
Got back in the game about 9 years ago after a 40 plus year layoff.
Almost everything about the game had changed especially the felt (cloth) and can't find very many 3 cushion tables anymore.
I remember when every room had at least one.
Have been a member here since 2014.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Joined in 2010...been playing about 45 years...

Attachments

• Bill Pool 6th Grade.jpg
    Bill Pool 6th Grade.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 55

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Many of the Old Schoolers mentioned, or who chimed in first 5 pages of this thread. Are dead, banned, must have decided not to visit AZB and longer, or have new interests.

sellingboe

Started playing in a bowling alley in 1965 and then moved to poolrooms in 1966 at the age of 15.
Poolrooms are where the education really begins.
Taking public transportation around Philly to the different rooms.
In 1970 sold my Hoppe stick and Brunswick snap top case for what I paid for it....$50, and headed off to college.
School, work, family, raising kids, yadayadayada.
Got back in the game about 9 years ago after a 40 plus year layoff.
Almost everything about the game had changed especially the felt (cloth) and can't find very many 3 cushion tables anymore.
I remember when every room had at least one.
Have been a member here since 2014.
You got 10 years on me, but similar story. After getting all kids through college, built a home with a room just for a Gold Crown. Haven't been around here a long time, but I appreciate the history. I was a helluva shot maker 40 years ago but I didn't know a damn thing about CB control. This is a lot of fun relearning the game I've longed to play daily once again. Nice to hear the stories of guys who've been around awhile.

telinoz

Registered
Many of the Old Schoolers mentioned, or who chimed in first 5 pages of this thread. Are dead, banned, must have decided not to visit AZB and longer, or have new interests.
May they rest in peace, found some other platform, up to them, and good for them.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Been here since 2005 which is around the time I bought a table and restarted my long dormant pool playing. If you see me stop posting you can assume I am stuck in a nursing home with no access to the internet in which case please come and bust me out of the place.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I might be an older schooler than I thought…started reading AZ in 2006 for up to date news…joined in 2009…
…but in the 90s, working on a 186, I took over a couple programs at work because of people’s illiteracy, and sometimes I’d wander onto
the web and catch bits of billiard conversations (probably RSB) like ships passing in the night.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some of the biggest changes that I see since 1964 when I first got into the game- not much 14.1 played anymore, anywhere. There are many more very good players out of a group of every 100 players that play pool at least once a week - I think the internet has a lot to do with that.

IMO modern equipment such as cues, balls, cloth may make the game a bit easier in some respects; but tighter pockets and faster rebounds on some modern tables demand a more pure stroke and greater knowledge of multiple rail position play with speed control. When tables were slower, but pockets were much larger 4 7/8 to 5 1/8 - in rotation games, you could leave the CB 7 feet from the OB on a slow table and have no problem making the shots if you had a good eye and stroked straight. The playing conditions years ago did not demand the precision required today.