Who are the top five players in your state?

Jimmy M.

Insomniac
Silver Member
LAMas said:
I believe that Jose Parica won (at least one of the games).

I was rooming with Mark at that tournament. He won the banks, won the 9 ball, and came in 2nd in the one pocket. I thought that Steve Cook had won the one pocket, but I could be wrong; maybe it was Jose. I spent a lot of time sick as a dog in the hotel room that week. All I really remember of Jose in that tournament was a close match between him and Dennis Hatch. I can't even remember who won that match.

ajrack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LastTwo said:
For California there are so many top players, here are some I can remember:

Jose Parica
Ernesto Dominguez
Keith McCready (do u still live here?)
Mark Tad
Santos Sambajon (moved to Chicago)
Max Eberle
Ismael "Morro" Paez
Bernardo Chavez
Tony Annigoni
Rafael Martinez
Tony Chohan
Tang Hoa
Amar Kang
George Michaels
Ronnie Allen
Billy Palmer
Dave Hemmah
Bryce Avila
Marshall Jung

This could be a players list of one of the weekly tournaments at "Hardtimes" in Bellflower CA...for only a $15 entry fee !!!!

AntiPXT

BackPocket9Ball said:
The first two are a given, but beyond that, I'm not really sure how to rank them, here are some ideas:

1) Jeremy Jones
2) Cliff Joyner

Dave Guiterrez
Dave Henson
Charlie "Hillbilly" Bryant
Al Mason
Javier Franco
Gilbert Martinez
John Drew Hager (fairly sure he lives in TX)

I also believe that even though he isn't playing anymore, if CJ Wiley started up again, he would give Jeremy Jones a serious run for the top spot. Also, Bob Vanover (although I don't think he plays anymore, either)

Yessir you are correct on all of the above... including John Drew Hager... he is in San Antonio(same as me) :)

SnookerSandy

Registered
piglit said:
Jim Henson
Keither
Jim Henson
Jim Henson
Mike Davis
Jim Henson.
:(
-pigy

Gee - is it that you LIKE Jim Henson or that you ARE Jim Henson or that you're tired of playing against him? LOL! Have a good one!

piglit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BackPocket9Ball said:
Danny Green might be the best player in all of Maryland after Mike Davis. Shaun Wilkie is an up-and-comer. There are also jam-up one pocket players to numerous to mention.

The Jim Henson Pigy is referring to is a short, loud, and obnoxious guy around 40 years old they call "Shorty". He's mentioned in "Playing off the Rail" (in the chapter on Arlington, VA) and he's one of the better 9-ball players in the area -- but definitely not number-one.

Somebody's been reading too many books!! Danny can get the 7 from quite a few folks w/ in a couple hrs of his house. Hell, these days he can probably get the breaks and the last 3 tossed in there too, if he bets enough! Not that he cares about pool anymre, but you're killin' his action!

Try taking Mike D. around and hold out for any of those spots...unless you bump into one of those elite top players, Mike'll not get played!!

-pigy

piglit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh- and I forgot to say, "I told you so!".

Did everyone see that Shorty took 2nd in the Planet Pool event in Sterling, VA?

He lost to Mike Davis. While excuses are like a$$hole$...I know Shorty was pissed that the finals ran so late, as he has to work full-time+ schedule swingin' a hammer for the man...

He can play. Trust me, Trust me.

-pigi

BackPocket9Ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
piglit said:

He lost to Mike Davis. While excuses are like a$$hole$...I know Shorty was pissed that the finals ran so late, as he has to work full-time+ schedule swingin' a hammer for the man...

-pigi

I've sent you a private message regarding this.

Teddy Harris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
piglit said:
Somebody's been reading too many books!! Danny can get the 7 from quite a few folks w/ in a couple hrs of his house. Hell, these days he can probably get the breaks and the last 3 tossed in there too, if he bets enough! Not that he cares about pool anymre, but you're killin' his action!

Try taking Mike D. around and hold out for any of those spots...unless you bump into one of those elite top players, Mike'll not get played!!

-pigy
Is there ANYONE, ANYWHERE that will give Danny the 7 ball, with the breaks and the last three? Is there ANYONE in Maryland that would like to play Danny some, 'cause if there is, you can bust me, him, and the stakehorse!

BackPocket9Ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ted Harris said:
Is there ANYONE, ANYWHERE that will give Danny the 7 ball, with the breaks and the last three? Is there ANYONE in Maryland that would like to play Danny some, 'cause if there is, you can bust me, him, and the stakehorse!

I agree, wholeheartedly with Ted. Keith aside, no one in the area has to have the best of Danny Green, even up for the cash, let alone giving the 7.

Jimmy M.

Insomniac
Silver Member
Ted Harris said:

"In case you don't think so, you can just POST!" ;)

Teddy the Deeeeeeee (or is that "Double-Down Ted"?)!

prewarhero

guess my avatar
Silver Member
Mike B. said:
I am from Iowa, and although it is not a strong state for pool we still have a few decent players:

Don McCaughey (just took fourth in the DCC one pocket)
Scott Frost (now lives in Arizona)
Whitey Walker (Two-time BCA Masters State Champion)
Scott Kitto (not sure if he plays anymore)
Chad Vilmont

And from the Quad Cities, although technically from Illinois:

Jesse Bowman
James Baraks (Wilson)

I am surprised that these last two didn't make any of the Illinois lists...

Mike B.

what about
Jon Kucharo
craig rice
and jay the banker

r0ttie1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jimmy M. said:
I know who Jamie Goodwin is (from Battle Creek, I believe), but not Bruce Goodwin.

I know a Jamie Goodwin from Battle Creek as well. I hear he owns a first rate room there now.

Duck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best Texas Players

OnePocketKing said:
State of Texas
1) Jeremy Jones
2) Charlie "Hillbilly" Bryant
3) Al Mason
4) Denis Strickland
5) "Houston Kid"

P.S. Cliff Joyner doesn't live in TX

1.Bob Vanover 8 time Texas Nine Ball Champion
2.Paul Guernsey
3.Jeremy Jones
4.CJ WIley
5.Dick Lane

9balldiva

I play like a girl
Silver Member
Smorgass Bored said:
Florida:
Buddy Hall
Mike Sigel
Nick Varner
John Schmidt
Tied for 5th:
Tony Crosby
Ray Martin

You are leaving out some really good players in Florida:

Neil Fujiwara
Stoney Stone
Larry Gayle

There are so many low key players who don't go to big tournaments, how could someone possibly expect to hear about the five best. There is no 5 best in Florida...there's probably about 10 best.

9balldiva

I play like a girl
Silver Member
piglit said:

-pigi

...but did you see Shorty take 4th at the annual Beat the Pro Tournament at Park Avenue Billiards last month.

JG-in-KY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
9balldiva said:
You are leaving out some really good players in Florida:

Neil Fujiwara
Stoney Stone
Larry Gayle

There are so many low key players who don't go to big tournaments, how could someone possibly expect to hear about the five best. There is no 5 best in Florida...there's probably about 10 best.

What about "sweet Toby". He has been known to run a rack or two. If Tommy Brown is in stroke, no one has to like it(try him some straight pool)!