Who Is Best Bar Box Player In Usa?

lunchmoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hemicudas said:
Dan Louie, running 6+5=11 racks? The over/under on that must have been 11 hours, right???????????

$Bill, you wouldn't believe it, I could hardly believe it myself but Dan has really speeded up his game, partly due to playing under a shot clock so I was told. He is only stroking 10 to 15 times before shooting the shot and even less on the break. It sure hasn't hurt his game though, if anything it is better. It was fun to watch him.

Lunchmoney

poolbiz420

Inked Up!
Silver Member
I had seen somebody had mentioned Steve Mcanish's name on here he did win the U.S. Bar Table Tournament Right? I've never seen Steve play on a bar table, don't know any story's about who he played or who beat him or who he beat but to win that you gotta play pretty good. Here in town they say that a Bobby Smith was a good bar table player back in the 70's? he travelled the country playing a little before my time anyone ever heard of him?

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
poolbiz420 said:
I had seen somebody had mentioned Steve Mcanish's name on here he did win the U.S. Bar Table Tournament Right? I've never seen Steve play on a bar table, don't know any story's about who he played or who beat him or who he beat but to win that you gotta play pretty good.

I think, and I may be wrong, that you are referring to Steve McAninch. He is one of the most beloved pool players in the State of Ohio. :p

Each year, I see him at the Glass City Open in Toledo, and he has his own cheerleading squad, to include his drop-dead gorgeous wife and cute-as-a-button daughter, friends, fans, and family members. He does play well and cashed in a tough field at the pro event on the 9-footers, taking down world-class champions, but I've never seen him on a bar table, though.

Here's a shot of Steve taken last November at 2004 GCO in Toledo! :)

JAM

Attachments

• Steve M. from Toledo.JPG
    Steve M. from Toledo.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 1,047

hemicudas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JAM said:
I think, and I may be wrong, that you are referring to Steve McAninch. He is one of the most beloved pool players in the State of Ohio. :p

Each year, I see him at the Glass City Open in Toledo, and he has his own cheerleading squad, to include his drop-dead gorgeous wife and cute-as-a-button daughter, friends, fans, and family members. He does play well and cashed in a tough field at the pro event on the 9-footers, taking down world-class champions, but I've never seen him on a bar table, though.

Here's a shot of Steve taken last November at 2004 GCO in Toledo! :)

JAM

Couldn't agree more, JAM. Steve is the, (Goodtime) Charlie Owens, of the north. In fact looks like him.

poolbiz420

Inked Up!
Silver Member
You are correct JAM, that is the Steve I was talking about i just butchered his last name. He is a big fan favorite at the GCO, everybody in Toledo comes out to watch Stevie play. One of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Unless my memory is failing me, Steve Mcannich posted a seventh place finish in the US Open 9-ball event in Virginia. I'm guessing it was in 1997, but I'm not sure.

OldHasBeen

Tom Ferry
Steve Mcannich played here in St. Louis

Steve Mcannich played here in St. Louis at a bar table tourney not too long ago. Very nice fellow and played great. No, I mean GREAT!

TY & GL

Last edited:

hemicudas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OldHasBeen said:
Steve Mcannich played here in St. Louis at a bar table tourney not too long ago. Very nice fellow and played great. No, I mean GREAT!

TY & GL

Not only does he play great, Tom, he "Counts" as well as any of-um.

trainer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Omaha John

I jumped into this thread late but i haven't seen John Shuput's name mentioned..amazing!!
Terry O. :confused:

Mike Templeton

Confidence........
Silver Member
poolbiz420 said:
I had seen somebody had mentioned Steve Mcanish's name on here he did win the U.S. Bar Table Tournament Right? I've never seen Steve play on a bar table, don't know any story's about who he played or who beat him or who he beat but to win that you gotta play pretty good. Here in town they say that a Bobby Smith was a good bar table player back in the 70's? he travelled the country playing a little before my time anyone ever heard of him?
One of the first times I saw Steve play was at the big bar table event at JOB's in Nashville held in January each year. This was before the Derby City started, probably 1994 or 1995. Steve was playing Nick Varner, who everyone knows is a big fan favorite at JOB's. There was a pretty good gallery sweating the match. Every time Nick got out, no matter how easy the layout, the gallery would burst into loud applause. Steve had some tough layouts, and was playing great and still getting out. Each time Steve would win a game, only I was applauding.

He beat Nick in that match, and when it was over, he came over and shook my hand smiling, and told me that he appreciated my support.

Steve is always a threat to win anytime he shows up to play.

Mike

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Speaking of Nick Varner. In 1988 he ran over the field at the Chattanooga Billiard Club playing with the heavy dynamo cue ball on the bar table. I think he played as good of bar table pool that weekend as anyone is ever likely to. But I have seen him at other bar table events that he didn't fair as well playing with the normal cueball.
Chris
www.hightowercues.com
www.internationalcuemakers.com