Who makes STIFF hitting cues ??? Mike Bender ???

procues888

Registered
1.) Bender
2.) Les Blevins
3.) DPK
4.) Skip Weston
5.) Steve Klein
6.) Schuler (Schuler Era)

Last edited:

justpool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hills cue

Darrin hill builds a medium stiff cue that is a top all around player. His finish work & point work is in the top 3 cuemakers in the country!! All of his woods & materials are very well picked over. Also with darrin you will get the real deal with ivory inlay work. No man made ivory inlays unless requested. Alot of cue for the money! :thumbup:

tasaddicts

not a 314 fan!
Silver Member
10 makers come to my mind for stiff hitting cues
1.Darrin Hill
2.Skip weston
3.Paul Dayton
4.Chris Nitti
5.PFD
6.Wes Hunter
7.Andy Gilbert
8.Steve klein
9.Ariel Carmeli
10.Keith Josey

PistolPat

Flip Strokin' since 91
Silver Member
Stiff shafts..........

The cuemakers who I've come across that make really nice stiff tapered shafts are...

Judd's EFREN taper
Prewitt's standard taper
Kersenbrock's standard taper
Southwest's standard taper
Coker's standard taper

The best outta the bunch definitely is Efren's taper. It's long but surprisingly stiff. It's somewhat of a mix with a conical and a pro taper. I like it because I can have my small tip diameter of 12mm and have it at a long taper and not worry about it being "whippy". On top of that, Judd selects the BEST shaft wood I have ever seen on a cue.

rukiddingme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The stiffest cue I have owned was an Alex Brick.
Ed Young, Nitti, Bluegrass, Schuler cues hit great. These are cues that I have actually played with. Many other makers have a stiff hit reputation but I have not had the pleasure of playing with them.
ruk

burns420

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think some people dont know whats being asked here. When I hear stiff, I think of shaft taper. Some of these mentioned arent stiff at all: carmeli, schon, schick to me arent stiff cues. Dave Albrecht has the stiffest cues IMO, he uses a very stiff taper almost like a carom taper. I think some are confusing a solid hit with a stiff shaft.

OBX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any cue can be built for a stiff hit. Most important is the shaft: a carom or modified carom taper (a la the late Ray Schuler's cues) will result in a stiff hit. Add a steel joint and a steel joint collar and that is about as stiff as a cue can get. For carom (3-cushion, etc.) play, however, you will want a wood joint or a Schuler joint (because of the difference in cue balance).

burns420

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kind of off topic, but why would carom cues require a stiff taper? for masse shots?

forgedcbuser

ABC USQ
Silver Member
just got an actual John Davis cue...
if you thought a SW was stiff!!!

I'm considering switching from my Omega/dpk to this Davis...such a beautiful sound when it hits the ball.

myeddo

still on the porch
Silver Member
my masonh hits stiff imo, i have never had the pleasure of hitting a
searing or most of the higher end cuemakers.
my mason has a strong taper which is why it plays stiff.imho
i like a constant taper or what ever you call them. euro taper ?

HOSS22

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi all i am in the market for a nice stiff solid hitting cue, any recommendations on a cue make that fits the bill?? I tried a Bender and was really impressed by its stiff solid hit.

I would think it hits stiffer than a Omen, new Schon, Jim Lee, Coker or Mason H and i am curious which other cue makers have such a nice stiff hit???

Thanks to ur .02!!! :thumbup:

mike stacy makes a stiff cue cant beat it for the money! check it out.