who makes the nicest bar cue conversion or sneaky pete

durhamcueist

Brandon W
Silver Member
I need a bar beater. Who makes the best sneaky pete? Who makes the the best conversion? please give me input, prices, pics, who to contact.
 
Duffirin(sp) makes nice house cue if you can find one NOT made in China now. I've had two made for me over the years and they both played well. Both were stolen in bars. Johnnyt
 
For a down and dirty pure sneaky, Kevin Varney or Jim Sickles (both of whom are on this forum) are excellent choices.
Chuck
 
Aye, there is the rub...to find a custom cue maker willing to make a sweet cue that looks exactly like a common house cue. A cue that a hall owner would want to pick up & place on a wall rack if he noticed it on a table. Egos go two ways...the shooter willing to pay a lot probably wouldn't like that "look". ( A few purposful dings, etc.) Neither would the craftsman making the cue, because he'd want folks to appreciate his superior craftsmanship, deservedly so. Thus, a truly well made and still "sneaky" sneaky is a rare thing indeed....That said, I'd bet they are out there. ;)
 
about a month ago i played a guy with a one piece{think it was a dufferin} and beat him pretty good. the next 2 times i played him with my cue and lost both times. go figure. anyway, i guess its gotta be a dufferin.
 
pwd72s said:
Aye, there is the rub...to find a custom cue maker willing to make a sweet cue that looks exactly like a common house cue. A cue that a hall owner would want to pick up & place on a wall rack if he noticed it on a table. Egos go two ways...the shooter willing to pay a lot probably wouldn't like that "look". ( A few purposful dings, etc.) Neither would the craftsman making the cue, because he'd want folks to appreciate his superior craftsmanship, deservedly so. Thus, a truly well made and still "sneaky" sneaky is a rare thing indeed....That said, I'd bet they are out there. ;)

Pick up one of these babies:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Excalibur-S...ryZ75199QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It'll set you back a whopping $35 including shipping and insurance.

Install a good tip on it and play with it for a few weeks, let it get dinged up and chalky/dirty on the shaft and ferrule.

Ideal sneaky. Looks just like a house cue, not perfectly, but good enough to go unperceived in a dimly lit bar.

Don't tell 'em who told ya :eek: :D

Oh, and be sure to hit that sucker with some 600 grit sandpaper, all over it, then grab one of those scotch brite pads and do a number on it. Let it get dirty, and you'll have a fine player.
 
Last edited:
Al Romero--works out of Hard Times in Bellflower. He mostly uses Valley Supremes, I think. First-class work at very reasonable prices.
 
I posted one I have in a reply to the same question in Wanted/for sale last nite. $107.50 no joint collars and uneven points.
 
Dufferin

Dufferin are probably the best choice because they look exactly like a house cue. I don't know how many times people would grab my old sneaky pete thinking it was a house cue. Predator makes a nice sneaky pete but it's too nice to be mistaken for a house cue.
 
For $90 Canadian Dufferins play nice. Haven't played with the current imported variety myself.

Scott Sherbine at Profecient Billiards and Pat Diveney make nice players in the $250 ~ $375 area.

Did you have a price range in mind Durham?
 
Frankenstroke said:
I like Hubler.

Last I heard, Paul Huebler was not making cues anymore. I agree that he did make a good sneaky, though.

I have a Scruggs and a Judd sneaky. Both hit very nice.

Aaron
 
Little Al

"Little Al Romero" former road warrior, has a shop at Hardimes in LA, makes SPs, plays with them and half the room is using them. They are not quite so "sneaky" these days as every beer joint player has some flashy "bud" cue from Walmart. Als cues are subtle and lethal.
 
Back
Top