Who needs a custom made cue?

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry, don't know much, just a casual player all my life. I might start playing more. I keep coming up with questions, lol!

I was surfing around and found some cues for sale by a custom maker and geez, those suckers are expensive! Thousands of dollars, even tens of thousands. I had no idea! Those must have collector's value.

A couple of questions. First, what is your take on 'improvement' provided by a custom made cue? Or do you think it's just about pride of ownership? Can you just go somewhere and try out a bunch of well-made cues and find one you like or should you get one made?

Second, about how much would a good one cost? I'm talking about something that looks nice but nothing terribly fancy. I know if it's like guitars, you can pay a ridiculous price, thousands, just for bling, inlays, exotic woods and such. A decent cue... $200? $500? $1000? More?
The sky`s the limit when it comes to prices, look at some of the cues in the cue gallery and it`s pretty clear that both in materials and time these cues should be just as expensive as they look.
I think only a minority of cuemakers would argue that a custom cue would improve your game. It`s the Indian not the arrow.
Having said that, a cue made for you can have some features a production cue cant.
The obvious one is length, if your taller than avereage, a longer cue makes sense.
If you have very big hands or small hands a thicker or thinner than normal butt might be helpfull. Weight isn`t normally a huge variation as the vast majorety plays with cues between 18-21oz, but if you want something outside that range, that`s possible.
Cue balance is something that a cuemaker have more controll over than production cues, so if you want a particulary front heavy cue, that can easily be accomplished.
Choice of woods is usually wider and you can use woods that a production brand would never be able to use due to limited availability.
Some of the the stained stabilized burls I have seen lately are quite exeptional and you would never see that stuff in a production cue.
Then it`s all of the points with custom veneers, butterflies and unique inlays in wood, bone, stone, plastic, shell, silver, gold and other materials.
Pride of ownership and confidence in your cue is never a bad thing, how much you feel that is worth is a very individual thing.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mc Dermott cues are hard to beat, they look good ,and play great for the average player
A plain one can be 100 or so and a really nice one about 3 or 400.
I think custom cues are usually way overpriced .

The above is true for the average player.

A good player can play with anything, even a cheap McDermott. But a good player may play even better with a great cue.

Edit:

Almost forgot.......i play with a cue that was not a custom cue. But.....then took it to a cue maker and had him to ............. CUSTOMIZE ........... the butt so it would have the balance I HAVE TO HAVE to be able to play at my best.

Last edited:

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who needs an 800hp Dodge Demon? Here in America it's not what you need as much as it is what you want.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
A good used custom cue is where you get the most hang for your buck. You can try it out if you buy from a local and get one that plays like you like.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The above is true for the average player.

A good player can play with anything, even a cheap McDermott. But a good player may play even better with a great cue.

Edit:

Almost forgot.......i play with a cue that was not a custom cue. But.....then took it to a cue maker and had him to ............. CUSTOMIZE ........... the butt so it would have the balance I HAVE TO HAVE to be able to play at my best.

Originally Posted by book collector View Post
Mc Dermott cues are hard to beat, they look good ,and play great for the average player

I think tha'ts exactly what I said in the original post? or isn't it?

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Every pro player would get one made if they weren't getting paid to play with production cues.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FWIW, I was "spoiled" by ordering my first 100% custom cue from Richard Black, way back in 1978. I think I played better with that cue than any cue in my life, but, then again, I was young and playing and gambling every day at that time.

In 1981, I decided to have him make me another cue with EXACTLY the same dimensions, except it was a sort of Merry Widow and not a 4-point, like my original one. As soon as I got it, I let a young guy, who had been bugging me forever, talk me into selling my 4-point.

The new cue played nowhere near as good as the original cue and I put it in the closet in 1985, when I bought a new McDermott C-14 at a steal-price through the pool hall where I had worked as a kid.

The McDermott C-14 played 10 times better than the second Richard Black and I wound up selling the Black a couple years later to a friend of mine.

I still have the McDermott and it is one of the best playing cues I've ever used.

To me, the MOST important thing in a cue is how I think it plays for ME. I don't care about designs, I don't care about inlays, I don't care about who made it, and I don't care how much it costs.

Every time I have ever bought a cue, I have bought it with "playability" in mind. I have never bought a cue on looks alone.

To me, simpler is better, assuming they all play the same. The more fancy it looks, the more I worry about banging it up or somebody stealing it. Pool cues are TOOLS...they are meant to be played with. Art is for hanging on walls or being displayed in museums...not for being lugged around in a cue case.

I Got Lucky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Custom made cues are a way for people to express themselves. I have no issues nor care if someone waits 12 years for a $10,000 cue to be delivered.

My question is what is the most expensive cue you guys use as a daily player during league or that you take to the pool hall?

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Custom made cues are a way for people to express themselves. I have no issues nor care if someone waits 12 years for a $10,000 cue to be delivered.

My question is what is the most expensive cue you guys use as a daily player during league or that you take to the pool hall?

My $4,500 Mottey was my playing cue for over ten years.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I have several custom and production cues in my closet. The cheapest of them would cost several hundred dollars and the most expensive maybe a couple thousand.

At the moment, I'm shooting with a Becue and I don't think you'll find a better hitting cue, no matter who makes it or how much it costs.

The retail price of the Becue model I have is somewhere around $1,000. It is a plain dark carbon fiber butt, with no design of any kind, and a white carbon fiber shaft.

I express myself through playing, not flashing a fancy-looking cue.

Buckzapper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wasn't it Efren that beat the world with a $13 cue from the Philippines? I don't know if it was production or custom. Yea, and his fancy leather tip was an Elkmaster.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sorry, don't know much, just a casual player all my life. I might start playing more. I keep coming up with questions, lol!

I was surfing around and found some cues for sale by a custom maker and geez, those suckers are expensive! Thousands of dollars, even tens of thousands. I had no idea! Those must have collector's value.

A couple of questions. First, what is your take on 'improvement' provided by a custom made cue? Or do you think it's just about pride of ownership? Can you just go somewhere and try out a bunch of well-made cues and find one you like or should you get one made?

Second, about how much would a good one cost? I'm talking about something that looks nice but nothing terribly fancy. I know if it's like guitars, you can pay a ridiculous price, thousands, just for bling, inlays, exotic woods and such. A decent cue... $200? $500? $1000? More?

The only 2-piece cues I own I bought for less than $100 at Academy, lol.

Welcome to AZB. The saying goes...it's the archer not the arrow. We do not need fancy baseball bats or tennis rackets to play. Pool is the same. Find cue you are comfortable with and have fun. I buy custom cues for the beauty & fun of owning...and the problem is they sit and get dusty.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your question could have been,"Who needs pool?"

iIt is expensive to play and in the end we would all have been better off
with a part time job or a business of our own

However,we feel a need to do certain things that make us feel good
whether or not it is the best thing for us

If pool has you captured in its clutches and you prefer to keep playing,
then the second question about whether to get your own cue will be a
decision you can easily make for yourself

once you have decided to waste your time,it is a comparatively innocent
and much less important question on whether to waste your money

i recommend you quit pool,put your efforts into your career and marriage and family
if you are fortunate enough to have one, it is a slippery slope down if you continue
playing pool

I have only had about 63 years experience playing ,but I have yet to see anyone better off
playing this addictive game

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Half the time over the last few months I was using a (free) McDermott Lucky L5 cue that someone left at a pool hall along with a $120 custom LD shaft a local cuemaker made for another of my cues. That same shaft I also use with about a $1,000 custom Ned Morris cue and played with it on a $1,600 Lomax cue that my son was using.

Funny thing is that the Lucky cue is $50 retail, and using the stock shaft it came with it has a great hit feel. If I was not used to an LD shaft, I would have no issues playing with that full cue. http://www.mcdermottcue.com/l5.php

To clarify the "free" cue LOL, I found it in the rack with the house cues at my regular pool hall, the owner and bar staff said it was sitting in the place for 3 weeks and no one could find the owner, so instead of having it sit there used as a house stick, I snagged it for a break cue. Turns out it has a pretty nice hit to it so when my son started using my cue while his was being refinished, I used it as my main cue for a few months.

Get one of these and a Revo, you have a nice setup for 1/2 the cost, if you like the Revo that is http://www.mcdermottcue.com/l46.php http://www.mcdermottcue.com/l74.php Just would need to have someone modify the joint on the Revo for a 3/8x10 pin

Last edited:

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lots of custom Cues are works of art at different levels. Some folks can afford art, some folks make themselves afford art & some folks get their lithographs at K-Mart. At 50 feet, most details can't be discerned, At 3 feet, the difference starts showing. Holding it in your hand, the art starts coming alive & after you pocket a ball or two, you are in love.

Hope this helps... Disclaimer>> If you can't play dead, all of the above are just words from a dictionary, they don't mean anything.

arraamis

Registered
No one "needs a custom made cue".

I think Black Boar cues are magnificent cues, a master work of functional art with purpose. But I won't ever buy one, not because I can't afford one or two, but because I've placed limits on how much I'm willing to spend on pool related items.

You only live once and if billiards\carom is something that enjoy playing, then you should enjoy it to the fullest. And if the desire is there and your pockets can afford the financial hit, then by all means go custom\production\limited ed.\special ed. until you are satisfied.

The point I'm making is that people should do what works for them and only them and not worry or even consider what others are doing or think. You can go crazy letting others, especially strangers dictate your actions.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have several custom and production cues in my closet. The cheapest of them would cost several hundred dollars and the most expensive maybe a couple thousand.

At the moment, I'm shooting with a Becue and I don't think you'll find a better hitting cue, no matter who makes it or how much it costs.

The retail price of the Becue model I have is somewhere around $1,000. It is a plain dark carbon fiber butt, with no design of any kind, and a white carbon fiber shaft.

I express myself through playing, not flashing a fancy-looking cue.

I'm the same way. My ue doesn't speak, I do.

Good post.

Sedog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good cues are mostly whatever feels good to you....
I have always thought it better to put any money spent into a decent shaft, more than “bling”.
But if one really really suits you, treat yourself to a attractive one. ��

Try some of your friends sticks, see what really truly feels best, then buy a shaft like it. They use different threads, but if you have a butt end, have the shaft come with that same thread...
Like 3/8 x 10 or one of the different 5/16 inch versions.

The shaft is really the heart of how it plays
(In my opinion anyway)

I agree, recently I switched to a nice looking player butt and a Predator Z2 shaft. Plays great.