Who taught you???

jim jones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
my dad Frank Spinella the best guy I know.he can beat you and still make you smile.And thank you to every one who took a sec. to show me something.

m79a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My dad got me started playing when I was young. He was very good at one time, he won a bunch of tournaments and took a lot of money off people in the area where i live over his lifetime. He's not half the player he used to be because of poor health. I'm still learning and I still pick up a lot watching him play. Even though he is nowhere near as consistent as he once was he is still one of the best shot makers I have been around.

center pocket

It's just a hobby, but a fun one.
Silver Member
My Bro Ryan
Allison Fisher
Billy Pea
Strickland
Archer
Doug Young

and every top player I gamble with, most recently Scott Frost.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
My father and a local player named Ashton. Ash doesn't play much anymore, it's a shame because he was a pretty damn good barbox player when he was at the peak of his game.

Good topic.

pulzcul

"Chasinrainbows"
Silver Member
Hugh Tallant
He taught me: stroke, englishes, safety, position, heart, fearlessness, never give up, you get a whole lot more by making people laugh than you do by making them mad, "where the hell are you going with that cb/ are you sure you want to play pool and not take up crochet?" and: there is no money in pool. After 5 years of hard constant lessons and travel, I quit pool and got a degree in political science.

once i got a degree and a career going, 6 years later, I fell back into pool, but by then he was long gone...

bob smith
using rails- lots of them- to get position, always staying in line rather than crossing it, getting back in line within at most three shots when approaching a new layout, and: "relax into intensity." Trust yourself.

"filipino gene"
extreme english: the subconcious will scream and you may aim for extreme but then amazingly fire at a completely different place on the cb. (!) you must breathe and trust, hit with extreme. follow through. and: there is no money in pool.

"rm"
hair's breadths on the cueball make huge differences. practice getting the cb to absolutely everywhere from a straight in shot (pockets are bigger than a cb: with a combination of cheating the pocket and using english, you should be able to get anywhere from a straight- in.) and: there is no money in pool.

one- armed dude with long red hair
some guys really do play better and better the longer the night goes on. Even dawn doesn't wear them out. Me, though, i have the amazing, supernatural ability to turn into a brainless zombie. and: you can lose money at pool.

andrew
slow players suck. they suck the life out of you and they suck the money right out of the game. is it really better to make sure that all money goes right to the house in table time no matter who wins?!? and: there is no money in pool.

young chong
ego can break the very best players right down to my level.

little miss low- cut and high heeled boots
seriously great players will miss the stupidest shots against you for the money. but i won't. : ) and: the little money you get at pool is worth so very much more than the spending power.

this is fun!
: )

!!! this is:rotflmao1: good stuff!!!

PistolPat

Flip Strokin' since 91
Silver Member
All to my pop.........

Even though my pops never wanted me to get mixed up playin pool ( All he ever did in the Philippines ) he reluctantly introduced me to the sport and taught me my basic fundamentals. Needless to say he still doesnt like the fact that I play so much now, but he really loves watchin me play the game. Thanks Pop. After that I learned to play position and tactics from watching endless hours of footage of Bustamante, Reyes, Parica, and of course my pops and my grandfather.

Voodoo Daddy

One Pocket 101
John Di Toro...one of America's best pool players with a full time job, still in his mid 50's.

Lessons by, in no order;
Johnny Ervolino
Danny Gartner
Richie Ambrose

The 2 guys I learnerd the most from just by watching were Steve Mizerak and Toby Sweet. They just did so many smart things, if you paid attention you had to learn.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
My 1st Teacher was George Saer R.I.P. this man had an insane amount of knowledge in him, and an uncanny way of teaching it to me.

in later years i took a number of lessons with Tony Robles, i need to get back to a Regime with him. Tony is in my opinion the best teachers around, and he plays pretty good too !!! LOL

Steve

frankncali

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I try to learn from everyone. I might not understand it or agree with it but I file it away for later. Many times much later on something someone was trying to say finally makes sense.

In the beginning I got some help from Junior Goff. He kept everything
very simple and I liked that.

The easy part is listening and understanding when someone is teaching.
The hard part is making yourself recognize and add lessons into play.

So much can change due to timing and an inch on the felt.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I started playing Pool in the 1950's at the Boy Club in Miami Florida, this was before the Political correct Boz N Gwirls Club. Were were most self taught, over the years I have learn from some very special people, VHs' DVD's, and continue to learn daily from my playing partner.

frankncali

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I started playing Pool in the 1950's at the Boy Club in Miami Florida, this was before the Political correct Boz N Gwirls Club. Were were most self taught, over the years I have learn from some very special people, VHs' DVD's, and continue to learn daily from my playing partner.

What Boys Club?

My father spent countless hours in a couple. He was sort of a well known
kid baseball player there as well. I think Miami Lakes was his main hangout.
He grew up mostly in Pinewood but 10 cents would get you a bus ride anywhere in miami.

pooldawg8

My Pride and Joy
Gold Member
Silver Member
My Dad spent alot of his free time teaching me different things about pool. When I started playing league pool some 20 yrs ago I would have to give alot of credit to a good friend of mine name Don Day. He taught me so many things over the yrs, but one thing he still to this day preaches to us younger players is be a ''sportsman'' when you play. He really gets pissed when other players hoot & holler after every shot. By the way he is 75 yrs young & still plays a pretty mean stick.
Jeff

XxMerlinxX

Pleased As Punch
Gold Member
Silver Member
I first learned how to play when I was very young, like around 6 or 8. My bestfriend at the time had gotten a miniature pool table for Christmas and I learned on it. We ended up moving to Hartsville not long after and I didn't play again until I was 15. I really learned my game from a guy named Ed who opened up this little hole in the wall pool room with 6 bartops and a 9' for keno. He let me borrow the first breakdown cue I ever used, a Joss, so I've always had a soft spot for that company. I also got lessons from another local guy at the same time, whose name escapes me at the moment, who would play up at the nicer pool hall in town. He was the one who taught me my bridge and how to cut the ball. He also let me use his Schon when he was showing me a thing or two, so I have a great opinion of them also, though who doesn't? That's really where I got my start from.

jonesy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don Feeney helped me with my stroke and the diamond system. My buddy Dave Hall has taught me more on decision making and strategy of the game in general.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...and you've become a very good instructor too, Steve. We're all students of the game!

For me...Frank Oliva, Jack White, Hal Mix, Hal Houle, Jerry Briesath, Willie Jopling, Randyg...are just a few of the people I have learned from. Now, I get to share what I learned from all of these gentlemen with others that I meet! What a great life!:D

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

I couldn't begin to list all the people I have learned different aspects of the game from. Over the years, there have been hundreds. Every time I teach, I usually end up learning something new, whether it be from fellow instructors, or students. Whenever I am at the table, I am always learning something.

That being said, without a doubt the number one influence on my game was RandyG. With over 30 years experience playing, Randy showed me things that I had never even considered. Taking his class was the biggest boost to my game I ever had. I have also spent some time at the table with Scott Lee, and gained a lot from that experience as well. The things I learned from Randy was what really got me involved in teaching pool. I was so impressed with the things I learned in his class, I knew I had to become an instructor to share that same information with others.

I also had the pleasure of learning one-pocket from an older gentleman many of you may have heard of, Clyde McKinney.

Steve