Who was the one pool player that you learned the most from watching them play?

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When you watch a player play a great match and you learned a lot from watching the match. Who was the player that you learned the most from watching them play a match? Did I say that right? Thanks for your input. Which player do you like to watch the most?
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

Robert58

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Efren Reyes. I have learned alot about useing side spin and leaving the Cue Ball where I can reach it instead of useing the bridge.

The player that I like to watch lately is Earl Strickland. I liked watching him clowning around with those two kids before the Tunica matches. He's not all bad.

Robert

Last edited:

Maestro

In the Zone...
Silver Member
I was lucky enough and honored to see Irving Crane practice and to be coached by him. I have seen other great players but non in his league even remotely. He was one of a kind and he was also my friend. Each time I hold a cue and line up a shot, I remember his voice and know what he would say.... May he rest in peace and my many thanks!

Last edited:

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
It was the old man that lived next door. It started when I was 13 yrs. old when my father & I bought a Brunswick Sport King & we put it into the garage. That old man would play my father & myself. He would not teach me a single thing. He thought he was keeping it all to himself, but I stole it. I know almost everything I know about pool from that old man, not because he taught me but because I stole it from him.

I like to watch all of the older players & the players of my era, The Miz, Strickland, Seigel, Wiley, Buddy Hall, and many more. The CJ / Miz match Mr. Wiley posted is a masterpiece. I'm thankful to Him for posting it as I had not seen it before.

Last edited:

Matt90

Trust the Process
Silver Member
myself

Let a man examine himself. I need to do it again but making a video of myself and playing in front of a mirror has taught me alot .Watching Earl
would come in a close second.

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let a man examine himself. I need to do it again but making a video of myself and playing in front of a mirror has taught me alot .Watching Earl
would come in a close second.

I need to watch you play too! May I please! OK, I like that. You said a lot.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was the old man that lived next door play my father. It started when I was 13 yrs. old when my father & I bought a Brunswick Sport King & we put it into the garage. That old man would play my father & myself. He would not teach me a single thing. He thought he was keeping it all to himself, but I stole it. I know almost everything I know about pool from that old man, not because he taught me but because I stole it from him.

I like to watch all of the older players & the players of my era, The Miz, Strickland, Seigel, Wiley, Buddy Hall, and many more. The CJ / Miz match Mr. Wiley posted is a masterpiece. I'm thankful to Him for posting it as I had not seen it before.

Very nice way to learn to help your pool game.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was lucky enough and honored to see Irving Crane practice and to be coached by him. I have seen other great players but non in his league even remotely. He was one of a kind and he was also my friend. Each time I hold a cue and line up a shot, I remember his voice and know what he would say.... May he rest in peace and my many thanks!

Boy were you lucky. Thanks for sharing with us. He was a great person and player.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Nice question-- in my opinion everyone should sometimes think about *those guys* who has influenced your game long ago and give him the respect and reptutation he deserves :)

Frank Scharbach, Thomas Peeters, M. Heinz, Harald Schröter, Rolf Alex (strong players in my area in the early 80 s) Each one typical 100 ball runner.
later: Ray Martin, O. Ortmann, G. Geisen,

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Nick Varner. He does it right without all the bells-and-whistles which is the way a newbie needs to learn the game. KISS. In his prime he made the game look so easy and his pace was slow and steady, but not so much that he bored you to tears. He kept his composure as well as anyone who ever wielded a cue stick too!!!

I find it hard to believe that nobody has named him yet (besides me).

Maniac

Last edited:

thintowin

thin2win
Silver Member
tommy "buttermilk" brown (deceased) from paris, tn; no not the one in daytona beach. he didn't offer much advice but when he did, i listened. he played with an old house cue and took it with him everywhere he went. he was the first guy that taught me the power of keeping your opponent in his chair by putting together multiple packages and high runs. he was a certified nut (u.s. army) but he sure could play some pool. he also took me on my first road trip. of course he went bust, but u learn from those too.

bank buster

Bank Buster
Silver Member
When I first started playing pool years ago, I learned from a great friend who is no longer with us. He spent hours working with me trying to teach me different things. To this day, whenever I make his favorite shot, I think of him!
In the last year or so, there have been numerous players that have influenced my game and have been helping me improve. They are too many to mention on here but thanks to the guys at Fargo Billiards!

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Snooker style compliments shot making in Pool

I learned a lot about pool by playing and watching these two snooker champions - Steve Davis and Ronnie O'Sullivan - I like their technique for shot making better than the conventional pool stance and head position. I've incorporated this into my own personal game and so is Earl Stickland now. CLICK PICTURE FOR EXAMPLE:

Last edited:

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I learned a lot about pool by playing and watching these two snooker champions - Steve Davis and Ronnie O'Sullivan - I like their technique for shot making better than the conventional pool stance and head position. I've incorporated this into my own personal game and so is Earl Stickland now. CLICK PICTURE FOR EXAMPLE:

Nice video! Thanks for sharing.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member

I have to agree. It's because of a long-forgotten snooker player that I watched thump the back of the pockets on a 12-foot snooker table (in Alameda, CA, when I was in the Navy stationed out there in the mid-1980s). And then watching these two -- Steve Davis and later, Ronnie O'Sullivan -- that I completely scrapped my pool fundamentals and learned the orthodox snooker stance. (Not just implement "certain aspects" of the snooker stance, like squaring my face and shoulders to the shot line like some pool players say when they "learn from the snooker stance," but I mean throwing the pool stance away completely -- and lining up all my body joints into the shot, with traditional snooker stance foot placement.) My game skyrocketed from there, and I've been using the snooker stance ever since.

-Sean

Chi2dxa

Lost over C&D Triangle
Silver Member
Lately it has been Landon Shuffett and I say lately because I have learned something from so many people.

swisslife77

....let me play....
Silver Member
Efren , Alex (Pagulayan), and , of course, Ronnie!

They all have , in my eyes, "their" vision (not only style) of the game.
They go beyond knowdledge, skills and experience!
It's "pure talent"! They don't do "the right thing" all the tima, but they just do it!
And you can see and feel, when they're in the zone, balls will just "obey"!!

So, stealing 0.0001% of their talent is inspiring 1000% on my game, always!

Just my 2 cents.

PGHteacher

John Fischer
Silver Member
Too many to list. When I started, the people around me. When I joined a team, the better guys on the team. When I became a fan of pro pool, I taped every match I could and took a little from sooooo many. When I started teaching I started taking a little bit from everybody and also seeing what doesn't work. It's a great question but impossible for me to answer personally maybe that's why I suck.:smile:

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
That would be my Grandfather, Hezekiah Steamer.
On Saturday afternoons he'd tell my mom he was taking me to the zoo. Just as soon as we were out of sight, however, we'd head straight for Big Bob's Bar and Billiards, down on fourteenth street. Grandpa called it Big Bob's.
What a great way to spend a day. I'd sit there for hours watching Gramps play One Pocket, while sipping on a Pepsi and eating peanuts.
One time Grampa was playing a fellow from out of town. While attempting a tight shot out of the stack the guy double hits the cue ball, and doesn't say anything. Well, my Grandfather, being the stickler about the rules of One Pocket that he was, called him on it. The guy immediately takes offense at being called a cheat, draws his gun, and shoots Gramps in the foot. He then beats a hasty retreat out to his car and speeds off.
We wrap a bandage around Grandpa's injured foot, and limp off for home.
As we're walking up the sidewalk to my house my mom is standing on the porch waiting for us. She sees the blood soaked bandage on his foot and asks what happened.
My Grandfather says, "Well, it's like this. We were at the zoo watching this animal trainer give an enema to an elephant when all of a sudden the great beast shit's down the man's arm and stampedes through the crowd, stepping on my foot as it runs by."
"Do you want me to take you to the hospital?" Asks my mom.
"No," says Grandpa, "but you might keep an eye out for that elephant. It'll be the one with a garden hose sticking out it's ass."
I sure miss those trips to the zoo. :smile:

Last edited: