Who was the one pool player that you learned the most from watching them play?

Arlene

Registered
I have watched a lot of great players play. I have to say, I really enjoyed watching Johnny Ervolino playing straight pool. That was awesome! As for learning the most, there are three- my two pool teachers, Chuck Wagner and Hal Mix. Both of my teachers were great players( not just instructors). The third one would be Denny Searcy, who I actually had the opportunity to go on the road with him and see him in action! He was such a diverse player, a master of all games! You couldn't help but learn a thing or two every time he played. Sometimes we would just bang the balls around and he would give me some ridiculous spot, so I would have a chance to win. Sorry to say, that they are all in pool heaven now. Bless them all.

markpatrick

Cardinals
Silver Member
I would have to say

Having the honor of working for Gary Lutman as his day time room manager, cook, bartender, ball man, and bouncer. I learned a Lot from watching Gary Lutman play, and actually playing him a few times a week in the afternoons during the 18 months or so I worked for him at Star Lite Billiards.

The only person I learned more from watching was AJ Clemens playing one pocket and David Matlock watching up string a set together back when it was winner break.

Dean DeForest gets honorable mention for teaching me drills to improve my ball control and speed.

So, bottom line. Gary Lutman.:)

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, 2 shot rollout seperates the "cream of the crop" from the rest in a very short amount of time. Anytime people start talking bad about 9 Ball or 10 Ball don't realize its like dogging hamburger helper compared to Filet Mignon or the music complexity of Mozart (roll out) compared to some local Hip Hop band (one foul).

The way the rotation games are played today is a very "watered down". This doesn't mean that many of the same top players wouldn't be winning tournaments, it just means it would be more of a challenge. You would see the game in it's purest form and the skill level would be very apparent.

I watched an old video of St. Louie Louie last night and they were shooting spot shots when they scratched on the break. You know the last time I saw someone shoot a spot shot? It used to be a common part of the game. I think it would be a GREAT idea to bring back these "golden" rules.

What he said! I like some of the old rules myself.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

Kaptivative

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dennis Orcollo

How could anyone not mention him. He's always in the money because he's a stone cold killer.

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
It would be easy (and make sense) to name Willie Mosconi and Irving Crane who were two of the greatest of all time but I never got to see them play in person. When I got into the game the two who I saw repeatedly and had a major influence on me were Mike Segal and Allen Hopkins.

Cuaba

Livin Large
Silver Member
I've been told my best shots are slow spin shots.

I try to copy Earl on these.

When he hits them, it looks like a normal stroke in slow motion.

WhatRobEats

Not as good as he thinks
Silver Member
I've tried to watch every match of Shane's as I can. I said in an another thread he is my Micheal Jordan. I don't know that I've learned much other than to hate myself even more for not being as good as him but hopefully he'll help me with that once his instructional DVD's come out. Put them on BluRay Shane!

Oh and get a shoe line also. ;)