Why 8 ball can be such a great game .

cueenvy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just watched Rodney Morris lose 7 to 6 to an amateur named Richard Gellar. Chinook Winds event livestream ontherailtv.com . Alternate break ,race to 7 on barbox. Mr. Gellar played very well , made a few positional errors and shot out of them. Made 1 real mistake. Rodney made 2 bad mistakes that cost him.

Great to see a guy who I believe they said was 65 come out and have a real chance to beat a top pro. This is the game, with an alternate break format, that can really grow the game. Congrats to Mr. Geller.
 
Hmm... An upper level pro loses a set to an "amateur" and all of the sudden 8 ball is a great game. Ok. Whatever you say.
 
Agreed, "The Hat" is pretty damn far from helpless, if you know what I mean. :thumbup:

He definitely doesn't have to lose. Upset? Yes. Impossible? Far from. Would be nice to see him get far.

Just noticed Kiamco and Thorpe were sent to the B side, while Dechaine sent Frost to join them. Not getting much easier from here. Then again, it is a field of 128 with plenty of runners.
 
Last edited:
Now the spelling police....great

Pretty sure my point was is a format like this has real potential...but it's pool and the nits always destroy it in the end...
 
Cueenvy I am sure these posts are not meant to be personal, and your right Eightball is a great game. There is so much strategy for amateurs and sometimes Pros make the game seem childish.

I missed the match but I have seen many matches where Rich Geiler has played and he has a fantastic game. When he is firing on all eight his position play is amazing.
Still he is not Rodney's speed unless Rodney is on his B game.
 
Just watched Rodney Morris lose 7 to 6 to an amateur named Richard Gellar. Chinook Winds event livestream ontherailtv.com . Alternate break ,race to 7 on barbox. Mr. Gellar played very well , made a few positional errors and shot out of them. Made 1 real mistake. Rodney made 2 bad mistakes that cost him.

Great to see a guy who I believe they said was 65 come out and have a real chance to beat a top pro. This is the game, with an alternate break format, that can really grow the game. Congrats to Mr. Geller.

Love it. See? Any hack can win! Rich "The Hat" Geiler, APA 5 or so.
 
Now the spelling police....great

Pretty sure my point was is a format like this has real potential...but it's pool and the nits always destroy it in the end...

If it is "The Hat" he sure as hell is no amateur, you can bet your case money on it. What you're suggesting has been tried and it didn't work then and it won't now.
8 ball is by no means a "great game".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Pool_Tour
 
Last edited:
Now the spelling police....great

Pretty sure my point was is a format like this has real potential...but it's pool and the nits always destroy it in the end...

Everyone is just having fun.

Let's then get serious (apparently, that's what we're doing).

Did you know about Rich Geiler before, or is this new information to you? Assuming this is new information, does that at all change the point of your post about the format?

Does the "good format" mean that anyone can win, including lesser players? Is that great for the game?

I love 8-ball, but it's the luckiest game out there. If I (a complete hack) can beat a pro, then what does that say about the game?


Freddie <~~~ loves how lucky 8-ball is
 
Here I'm trying to congratulate the man...but okay.

From what I saw his game was okay. He surely isn't paying his mortgage with his game so he's not a pro. I've heard of him...never really saw him play. He's not an APA 5...still someone I'd match up with, I don't need to steal to eat.

What I'm getting at is we have a great game that advanced amateurs can compete with top guys in...with short race to 7 and alternate break. Small tables makes it even better. What other sport can you pay your 100 entry and play world class players?
 
I don't think there are many pro players paying their mortgage off of pool. Hell, I don't think there's very many pro's who even have a mortgage to pay, unless you count a car payment as a mortgage lol. 8 ball isn't a great game. It's a bar game that is joke when played by anyone at shortstop speed or above.
 
I don't play much 8 ball. One of the last times I played races to 4 for 50 a set. Lost the first set 4 to 2. Then won 3 sets in a row by running a 12 pack and 3 coin tosses. My opponent pulled up.

It's a great game if you wanted bigger events with more involvement and opportunities for players to realistically compete against top players. That's if people want to grow the game.
 
Geiler's Fargo rating is 696. Rodney's is 783. According to FargoRate, Rodney is a 13-1 favorite in a race to 7. So if Geiler played awesome and Rodney was less than stellar, it's not surprising to hear that Rodney lost.
 
I don't play much 8 ball. One of the last times I played races to 4 for 50 a set. Lost the first set 4 to 2. Then won 3 sets in a row by running a 12 pack and 3 coin tosses. My opponent pulled up.

It's a great game if you wanted bigger events with more involvement and opportunities for players to realistically compete against top players. That's if people want to grow the game.

I kinda see what you're getting at but 8 ball isnt new. Isnt that what the leagues got started with? Not to mention they still are playing it today? Are you strictly saying that 8 ball is the only game where someone may be able to beat a pro? I'm not a fan of 8 ball at all; watching nor playing but I can agree its prob the easiest game to get someone started in pool with.
 
Back
Top