Why are they using a 10 ball Magic Rack in The Cup?

I don't believe they make the 9 ball rack anymore. They have a 9/10 and an 8 rack.

When you buy the Magic Rack, you get both the 9 and 10 ball rack. I've bought 4 pair.

And.. What I've noticed in using it a bazillion times, some of the Magic Racks have issues with the "second row" of balls, which we've seen today at The Cup today. Maybe it's a precision factor, maybe it's due to worn balls. Worn balls definitely makes them smaller, creating more space for the MR to compensate for. I'm a bit surprised they're using a 10 for a 9.

Lining up - meaning "squaring the rack" - a 9 rack vs a 10, is not an issue. I take a sharpie and put a small dot right behind where the nine goes. That also aligns a 10 ball MR.
 
When you buy the Magic Rack, you get both the 9 and 10 ball rack. I've bought 4 pair.

And.. What I've noticed in using it a bazillion times, some of the Magic Racks have issues with the "second row" of balls, which we've seen today at The Cup today. Maybe it's a precision factor, maybe it's due to worn balls. Worn balls definitely makes them smaller, creating more space for the MR to compensate for. I'm a bit surprised they're using a 10 for a 9.

Lining up - meaning "squaring the rack" - a 9 rack vs a 10, is not an issue. I take a sharpie and put a small dot right behind where the nine goes. That also aligns a 10 ball MR.

They recently quit making the 9-ball rack. The Pack now comes with an 8-ball and a 10-ball rack. I sell them.

10 ball has the tail so you can use it for both games.
 
When you buy the Magic Rack, you get both the 9 and 10 ball rack. I've bought 4 pair.

And.. What I've noticed in using it a bazillion times, some of the Magic Racks have issues with the "second row" of balls, which we've seen today at The Cup today. Maybe it's a precision factor, maybe it's due to worn balls. Worn balls definitely makes them smaller, creating more space for the MR to compensate for. I'm a bit surprised they're using a 10 for a 9.

Lining up - meaning "squaring the rack" - a 9 rack vs a 10, is not an issue. I take a sharpie and put a small dot right behind where the nine goes. That also aligns a 10 ball MR.

If you are having racking problems due to small balls, you can stick paper binder rings on the magic rack holes, but slightly inward to make them tighter. Also, i think it works best to have the sharpie dot where the farthest back ball goes, that way you can line it up perfect because the 10 ball rack also has a tail.
 
As a business man my first thought was so that the magic rack would be more visible for marketing purposes since there is a disadvantage to using the ten ball rack in that it is more likely to have a ball land on it.
 
From what I have read it looks like they wont be using the Magic Rack today

Now that I think about it, I remember Ken Schuman saying during TAR 22 that they were going to tap the table instead of using a rack. I wonder what ever happened to that idea?
 
Now that I think about it, I remember Ken Schuman saying during TAR 22 that they were going to tap the table instead of using a rack. I wonder what ever happened to that idea?

Maybe thats what they are doing today. I just dont understand why there were so many problems with it yesterday.
 
Did you guys notice when they break the balls you can see the MR twisting or spinning when the balls collide ontop of it. To me that means the MR is altering the path of the balls.....right?:confused:

I mean if the thing is moving it is taking energy from the balls and giving a differing result then if it was not there.


anyway........go USA today!

G.
 
If you are having racking problems due to small balls, you can stick paper binder rings on the magic rack holes, but slightly inward to make them tighter.

Oh yeah, that's the ticket :grin:

As I have always said, and kudos to the other poster who says that the Magic Rack is interfering with the path of the balls, the Magic Rack is used by idiots. What more can I say?
 
Oh yeah, that's the ticket :grin:

As I have always said, and kudos to the other poster who says that the Magic Rack is interfering with the path of the balls, the Magic Rack is used by idiots. What more can I say?

Call me an idiot. What can I say, I have the Magic Racks and use them frequently on my PRACTICE TABLE here at home.

That said, I also have two Delta-13 racks that I use for serious pool. I cannot use the MR's for serious pool because (and I don't care what any MR lovers say) too many times I have seen the path of a slow-moving ball altered/stopped when contacting the MR, and this is NOT acceptable for serious pool. And.....the Magic Rack does have to be "manipulated" somewhat to get all the balls touching, although not as much as a standard triangle rack does.

What works best for me at home is to use the Magic Rack for about 5 or 6 games then transfer to the Delta-13. The MR will cause the table to get perfectly "tapped" to where the balls stay in place better when I change to the Delta-13.

Maniac (once an idiot, always an idiot :embarrassed2::thumbup:)
 
Oh yeah, that's the ticket :grin:

As I have always said, and kudos to the other poster who says that the Magic Rack is interfering with the path of the balls, the Magic Rack is used by idiots. What more can I say?

It doesn't interfere with the balls very often if used correctly. If it does, It means you probably didn't lay it out flat. It affects the game far less than poor racking with a standard rack.

Standard racks are also used by idiots. Idiots tend to occupy a percentage of the population no matter what group you sample from (and people tend to go from smart to idiotic and back on a regular basis depending on their bias). Thus, trying to equate people using the magic rack as idiots is itself an idiotic argument, but despite that, I can guarantee that there are more idiots that use standard racks, than there are idiots that use magic racks.
 
Last edited:
It doesn't interfere with the balls very often if used correctly. If it does, It means you probably didn't lay it out flat. It affects the game far less than poor racking with a standard rack.

Standard racks are also used by idiots. Idiots tend to occupy a percentage of the population no matter what group you sample from (and people tend to go from smart to idiotic and back on a regular basis depending on their bias). Thus, trying to equate people using the magic rack as idiots is itself an idiotic argument, but despite that, I can guarantee that there are more idiots that use standard racks, than there are idiots that use magic racks.

let me guess.......you manufacture the magic rack?...or maybe sell them? :)
 
Back
Top