Why buy a cue that is over $300?

YubaCushion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why a $300+ cue?... Because no one will sell me their Balabushka for $299.

Seriously though, does it bother people that "we" have expensive cues? A Toyota Corolla does the same as a Ferrari F40, but I bet that Ferrari is a hell of lot more fun.

Das a good wan.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you could bang fat ugly chicks instead of trying to get with good looking girls. end results the same you still end up having had sex.

people want nice thigns. that's just the way people are

hot, expensive and no questions......

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
I keep checking and waiting for someone else to say that their cheap cue plays just as good as a custom cue so that I can pounce on them like a panther.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I keep checking and waiting for someone else to say that their cheap cue plays just as good as a custom cue so that I can pounce on them like a panther.

I have a cheap cue and a custom and the cheap cue plays better than the custom. No names to protect the innocent.

You do realize that with over 700 cue makers in the world not all "custom" cues will be or feel better than all custom cues.

I am positive that I could set you up with five custom cues and five production cues and you would not only not be able to tell which is which but you would probably say that some of the production cues hit better than some of the custom cues and there is a high probability that you would even pick a production cue as the best hitting one of the whole bunch.

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
When I say cheap I mean Walmart cheap.... I still use a old plain jane Falcon cue as one of my players and it plays rock solid.

Someone post an interesting topic soon or I'll have to find something else to do...

Last edited:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
When I say cheap I mean Walmart cheap.... I still use a old plain jane Falcon cue as one of my players and it plays rock solid.

Someone post an interesting topic soon or I'll have to find something else to do...

;-) Don't wear your shooting hand out.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
As rufus said:
Play with a cue you like.

There is no cue that let you shoot straighter.

The biggest tournament i won and where i gave best 8ball performance i used a 90 $ cuetech cue. My straight pool high run u made with a 300 $ mc dermott cue.
But now im using a very nice traditional keith josey cue. So why?
Because i like it and love to play with it.....and to look at it?

Its just important what makes YOU happy-nothing else.
Lg
Ingo

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9100 mit Tapatalk 2

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I have a cheap cue and a custom and the cheap cue plays better than the custom. No names to protect the innocent.

You do realize that with over 700 cue makers in the world not all "custom" cues will be or feel better than all custom cues.

I am positive that I could set you up with five custom cues and five production cues and you would not only not be able to tell which is which but you would probably say that some of the production cues hit better than some of the custom cues and there is a high probability that you would even pick a production cue as the best hitting one of the whole bunch.

JB, on this we agree :) When I travel for work or vacation, I don't bring a cue with me, just bring a small bag with some very fine sandpaper, a tip scuffer, and a piece of Magic chalk.... and then I find a house cue with the best tip I can find, and work up the shaft and tip, and shoot.

I think the weight, shaft and tip matters more than who built it...(for playing purposes) maybe the joint a little, but I have three diff joints and it just don't matter to me... but all have the same shaft and same tip, but the butts made by 3 diff cue makers.... all the same weight..... I could not tell the diff if you put a gun to my head :)

revhigh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Truer words were never spoken. It would be really fun to see some of the cue snobs find out that they (gasp !) picked a Cuetec or Players as the best feeling cue. Kinda like a blind taste test where the best wine connoisseurs in the world pick a $5 bottle of wine as the best tasting. LOL :smile:

REV

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Suggestion......

A better discussion would be how to determine the playability of a cue, what characteristics contribute to how a cue performs and feels, and what a player might seek-out for their particular playing style or desires.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...I just recently bought a McDermott G204. It ran me $209...But what I notice is that there are a lot of amateur pool players who are shelling out $300+ for these cue sticks that wont make them play any better...
...seriously

What a sucker! I can't believe he paid more than $200 for a stick:rolleyes:

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
A better discussion would be how to determine the playability of a cue, what characteristics contribute to how a cue performs and feels, and what a player might seek-out for their particular playing style or desires.

You wouldn't happen to be a Lotus owner would you?

Lyn
Owner of a Type 79

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Why?

Well, maybe it is my lack of experience...but from watching pool on tv, at the halls and asking questions. It seems there is no real advantage to buying really expensive cues.

I am just hoping someone could steer me in the right direction regarding cue sticks.

Maybe explain the benefits that some of these custom cue makers or really expensive cues have over the cheaper production cues.

Why do people buy expensive cues?

Because we have freedom of choice.

Just as people post their opinions because we have freedom of speech, at least when it comes to pool.

You're right though, about not needing an expensive cue to play well. My best years were 1981 to 1987 when I was playing with a $135 Meucci LH-2 and 1991-1995 when I played with a $90 1988 Meucci sneaky.

But my old friend, the late Jimmy Scrima, once told me, "You don't HAVE to own a fancy cue to play well, but there's something special about opening your case to see a cue that you personally chose for its beauty."

By the way, while I agree with you in general, I do like the Predators, especially the older ones, and I currently have two players, a 1987 Joss and an unknown cue from the '70s, on which I use original Predator 314s and an OB Classic.

Last edited:

Grilled Cheese

p.i.i.t.h.
Silver Member
$300?

Even that is too high.

The ultimate, unbeatable price-performance cue of all time is the....

Player's Sneaky Pete

Solid, well made butt. They come with perfectly acceptable and decent well made shafts. Hit is good. It doesn't do strange things. Plays consistent. There is nothing you can't do with that cue. It's probably the least expensive cue out there that has the base minimum requirements for structural integrity and solid hit. In fact, it is better than many cues costing much more. There are other generic or low end cues that appear similar, but they fail in some respect - they have odd balance or bad tapers. Or poor ferrules and joint work.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Player's Sneaky Pete... There is nothing you can't do with that cue. ...

Except get some money for it when you get tired of it...!

Scruggs cue: $1000 to buy, $1000 to sell.

Charlie-Sheen-Winning-GIF1.gif