Why CTE is silly

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
It takes 15 aim points to make any shot on the long string near the pocket (ignoring some space at the top of the string to put a cue ball) - more on strings farther away. The drawing below shows how this is true, but it may take some staring and scratching to understand.

Each two contiguous balls (and any ball between them) can be made in the upper right corner pocket (5" wide) with the same cut angle. Each ball can be made with the cut angle of both balls contiguous to it. So they show when the angle must change and the maximum it can change without leaving any OBs that can't be made.

For illustration, the common cut angle for each of the first four pairs of balls is shown by lines of matched color (red, white, blue or white).

View attachment 159572

pj
chgo

Pat,

Do you have this diagram in a vector format? Like Corel Draw or something similar? If so would you mind emailing me a copy? I like how your diagram is set up.

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
Uhhhh..... So does ghost ball and your handy dandy little arrow. Who EVER said that you should use CTE for a masse shot??

Actually knowing where to put the CB on the table to make the OB go center pocket at least gives you a target to go for. Stop at the aiming part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbmNcYH52eo&feature=fvw

See that little x, the point of the arrow. Thats the target. Thats real. Since CTE REQIURES straight ball to ball aiming it is very limited.

And thanks for pointing another weakness for CTE.

Last edited:

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
......All three of your shots can be and have been made using CTE....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8G7-xpyKlk

Nice vid. I assume that all of the OB went into the pocket...I couldn't tell for that wasn't shown in the vid.

It looks like you were able to place the CB wherever you wanted -like, "ball in hand" and not like dr.dave's diagram. It could have been the lens on your camera that made it look like that. Can you fabricate an over head shot of those shots for us?

Thanks in advance.:smile:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Actually knowing where to put the CB on the table to make the OB go center pocket at least gives you a target to go for. Stop at the aiming part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbmNcYH52eo&feature=fvw

See that little x, the point of the arrow. Thats the target. Thats real. Since CTE REQIURES straight ball to ball aiming it is very limited.

And thanks for pointing another weakness for CTE.

See the chalk marks and lines? You can't use those when playing. They aren't there. You have to imagine them at the proper distance from the cue ball in real game play.

You also have to estimate for contact induced throw - something Mike didn't cover in the ten minutes.

CTE? Well using ball-to-ball you always have a center and an edge to use as a starting point. Those are concrete things easily seen and don't require proper depth perception when imagining a phantom ball properly adjacent to the object ball and then the center of that imaginary ball at the proper distance from the object ball.

You can however use CTE for masse shots. Use CTE to line up the shot as if there is no blocking ball. Then elevate and offset accordingly to go around the blocking ball. Adjust as needed according to your experience.

Bob Meucci has an amazingly accurate system for calculating masse shots. I wish I had taken notes when he spent 30 minutes showing it to me at our booth in Vegas 10 years ago.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Nice vid. I assume that all of the OB went into the pocket...I couldn't tell for that wasn't shown in the vid.

It looks like you were able to place the CB wherever you wanted -like, "ball in hand" and not like dr.dave's diagram. It could have been the lens on your camera that made it look like that. Can you fabricate an over head shot of those shots for us?

Thanks in advance.:smile:

It was the camera angle. The balls were placed exactly like Dr. Dave's diagram. The balls all went into the pocket. I note on the overlaid comments that I did attempt the series of shots many times where I would make two and miss one.

As I said, when I have my setup complete with an overhead camera then I will do this test again with the cameras filming from 2 or 3 angles simultaneously. I personally am interested in the exact mechanics as well.

I have found a few overhead cameras that look promising (security types) but I haven't pulled the trigger yet as I have no time and I want to be sure that the one I buy will represent the table properly and not like a fisheye.

I am on a limited budget to set up my little recording studio. Eventually I plan to do videos that are much more polished but that requires a few things, cameras, a new laptop or workstation with proper speed, video editing software I understand (my eyes tend to glaze over with this type of software) and possibly hiring a person to do the editing for me. And time which is what I have least of right now.

Last edited:

Dead Crab

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aligning myself to the cue ball and the object ball using the approximate center of the cueball to the visible outer edge of the object ball, in this case the edge which is away from the pocket.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8G7-xpyKlk

From this description, it would seem that the "edge" that you choose is the edge of a saggital plane of the OB, where this plane contains the contact point, and all lines passing thru the plans also pass thru center pocket.

Correct?

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
From this description, it would seem that the "edge" that you choose is the edge of a saggital plane of the OB, where this plane contains the contact point, and all lines passing thru the plans also pass thru center pocket.

Correct?

Not sure. I had to look up what a saggital plane is. I'd have to be on the table to see what I am doing with the definition of the saggital plane in mind to see if that's how I am seeing the shot.

Based on the Wikipedia entry on this I'd say you are probably right or very close to it.

Dead Crab

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure. I had to look up what a saggital plane is. I'd have to be on the table to see what I am doing with the definition of the saggital plane in mind to see if that's how I am seeing the shot.

Based on the Wikipedia entry on this I'd say you are probably right or very close to it.

Not a great use of the term on my part.

Try: vertical plane (perpendicular to the playing surface), passing thru the OB center, where all lines passing thru the plane also pass thru the center of the intended pocket.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member

Correct?
John showed me the edge he uses, and it's the simple CB center-to-OB edge line (CTE line) that anybody would choose. He then imagines another line, parallel with the OB-to-pocket line and tangent to the OB's "outside" surface, intersecting the CTE line. This intersection is used somehow by John in his visualization of the shot alignment, but I was never able to understand exactly how.

By the way, I saw the case that's in John's avatar. Yowza. You want one of those. I think he brought it to throw me off my game with jealousy.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
1 - How do you make shots to other places than the corner pocket? (please describe)

2 - How (keeping both balls in the exact same spots) do you send the OB in two different directions? (hit the corner pocket on the first shot...set it up again and hit a diamond and a half over on the end rail)

3 - If you can't align straight away from center CB to 1/4 OB or center CB to center OB...How can you make an "air pivot" to determine the contact point (somewhere in between) and then be able to set up to that alignment?

4 -How on earth does CTE compensate for CIT? (This is a insinuated claim from a CTEr)

5 -Why (once I have made my parallel shift from center to edge) would I need to look back up at the OB....should'nt I just be able to pivot to center and shoot center CB?

6 -How do I determine what center CB actually is when I execute this pivot? Is it base center from "initial center alignment" or is it the "new center" viewed from the parallel shift? (because remember....just as the "edge" changes as your perspective changes...so does the center)

All joke have been removed as to not offend JoeyA.....(sorry for the boring post)[/QUOTE]

1. CTE is a center pocket system, It does not line you up for a place other than a pocket or a 2 to 1 bank
2. There is NO parallel shift
3. CTE does not compensate for CIT
4 Knowing that you do not parallel shift,your questions should change
5 Question 6 would give away a lot lol

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I'll answer my own question. This IS the longest CTE thread to date.

This thread ranks all time as the:
4th most responded to thread
19th most viewed thread

In both categories, this thread was the highest rated that had anything to do with any technique of the game.

GetMeThere

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This thread ranks all time as the:
4th most responded to thread
19th most viewed thread

In both categories, this thread was the highest rated that had anything to do with any technique of the game.

Kinda depressing....when you think about it.

Of course, even I will admit that when reading the news I'm more likely to read something like "celebrity gossip" before an economic report--hehe, at least the celebrity gossip is actually likely to be TRUE ;)

People like looking at bad road accidents, too. It only gets it, actually, because it's SO silly.

CTE does NOT deserve this much attention.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Kinda depressing....when you think about it.

Of course, even I will admit that when reading the news I'm more likely to read something like "celebrity gossip" before an economic report--hehe, at least the celebrity gossip is actually likely to be TRUE ;)

People like looking at bad road accidents, too. It only gets it, actually, because it's SO silly.

CTE does NOT deserve this much attention.

:) Well with a little research you would have seen that starting a thread denouncing it the way you did was bound to produce something epic.

Actually CTE does deserve this much attention if it is supposed to be accepted. Isn't that your premise all along?

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I too had to look up Sagittal plane for this is the first time it has come up.
John concurs that is what his CTE line is aimed at to start.

By the diagram it looks to me to be what most would consider the plane from the pocket/target through th OB and exiting the equator of the OB.

Where it exits is often called the "contact point" (CP). If this is correct, then John is using center of CB to the Contact point on the OB or what is commonly referred to as CTCP.

All of this time I was thinking that the "edge" was on the transverse plane.
250px-Human_anatomy_planes_svg.png

Last edited:

GetMeThere

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually CTE does deserve this much attention if it is supposed to be accepted. Isn't that your premise all along?

Yes, that's right. But so far I haven't read anything "acceptable" about it ;)

HOWEVER, PJ makes a very interesting comment that your recipe for CTE includes an imaginary line drawn FROM THE POCKET TO THE OB. Now THAT'S something new--not heard from Hal, and not heard from ANY other CTE advocate. That makes it begin to sound like it's approaching a ghost ball sort of system....

John showed me the edge he uses, and it's the simple CB center-to-OB edge line (CTE line) that anybody would choose. He then imagines another line, parallel with the OB-to-pocket line and tangent to the OB's "outside" surface, intersecting the CTE line. This intersection is used somehow by John in his visualization of the shot alignment, but I was never able to understand exactly how.

GetMeThere

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get Me There - send me your full name and address and when I have a diagram of exactly how CTE works I will laser it onto a cue case and send it to you.

I'm sure you mean that from a sense of generosity, magnanimity, and friendliness--and I think you deserve praise for that attitude.

But...uh...(just havin' a little fun here): I think the day that happens even my BONES will have crumbled to dust and blown away (and giant, flying pigs will soar gracefully over the barren landscape...) ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.