why do some pros fly to England for the tournament, when they have a small chance of winning?

judochoke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Enjoyed watching the UK tournament on you tube this weekend. My question is this: the line up was the best of the best, the top 10 players in the world. Filler, ko brothers, Ruiz, Boeing, ect ect. Why do pros who are on a level below these killers attend this tournament? And I’m not naming names, thats not my point. That’s a lot of money to spend to get to England, hotel, food, transportation, ect. And they never get close to winning?

And they all do the same pattern: win their first match, lose the second, win their first match on the loser side, maybe win two or more. Then lose and they are out.

I know anybody can do as they please, and i get that. But it just seems to be an unproductive week to me.

And I’m not trying to be a butthead about this subject, just trying to figure it out. I can’t even think of a MAJOR tournament that a lower level pro has every won?

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why do some spend 100k+ on a fishing boat when for the yearly insurance cost on it alone, you could buy all the fish you would want to eat in a year?
Just something you like doing I guess. Thankfully for me, my wife supports my many hobbies, and I don't have to justify any of them.
I actually considered setting up to build custom cues last year. I already have a fantastic 26x40 fully equiped wood shop, and figured another 30-40k in additional equipment would get me started. Did, I hope to actually make money at it, no, just something I really would like doing.
Then reality hit home, I'm in my 70's, and there would be a few years learning curve to get started, then there is acquiring a vast amount of wood, although I know suppliers for most of that. But there would still be a substantial learning curve.
If I was in my 50's, I would have went ahead with this, but instead just went and bought a new boat.
Luckily there is those out there that enjoy pool enough to enter these tournaments where they have almost no chance of winning, or would these tournaments still exist if say only the top 16 people showed up?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People get married with like a 50% chance of divorce also these days. There are 99 losers for every winner in every pro event. I think everyone knows who the favorites are to win they just go play cause the alternative is being an assistant manager at a Burger King.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How are we going to know the others' decision criteria?
Billiards Digest magazine and Pool & Billiards magazine should get on the concept your valid question enterprisingly or inadvertently implies.

There's great reader interest/human interest in conceivable interviews and the resulting articles that emanate. It's an age-old -- why did HE enter -- question that goes all the way back to the days when Straight Pool was the official World Championship game and there was always very stimulating, informative, and dense coverage by all significant media of any given era.

The same behind-the-scenes-interest principle clearly applies to contemporaneous readers, viewers and fans of major rotation-games' championships.

Arnaldo
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Even a low level pro can hit a gear .. who knows might be ‘the tournament’ for them
Yes low level players can hit a gear for maybe a set or two but cant maintain it long enough to snap off a major event.
Been there and done that, beat a couple world class guys a set here and there but could not maintain that level day in and day out.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Enjoyed watching the UK tournament on you tube this weekend. My question is this: the line up was the best of the best, the top 10 players in the world. Filler, ko brothers, Ruiz, Boeing, ect ect. Why do pros who are on a level below these killers attend this tournament? And I’m not naming names, thats not my point. That’s a lot of money to spend to get to England, hotel, food, transportation, ect. And they never get close to winning?

And they all do the same pattern: win their first match, lose the second, win their first match on the loser side, maybe win two or more. Then lose and they are out.

I know anybody can do as they please, and i get that. But it just seems to be an unproductive week to me.

And I’m not trying to be a butthead about this subject, just trying to figure it out. I can’t even think of a MAJOR tournament that a lower level pro has every won?
Without bracket fillers, how else will you fill a 256 player field?

Don't matter if it's kids in a tournament, lady's or male pros...there are tiers in class. In a field of 32 only 3 should win. In the UK Open maybe 20.

I've played in Derby and Turning Stone....could I win it? Doubtful. But in playing about 7 pro events over the years I had Fiejen down 5 to 3 lost 9 to 5....and had Morra 7 to 7, missed a 7 ball and lost 9 to 7. I've only played top pros those 2 times. So for me those matches served as a benchmark for where I was at the time.

I expect you might be including Wolford in your category of pros who can't win it. Well he could. How else will he develop as a young pro, unless he's playing the best? In 3 to 5 years he might be in the top 3 US players. He continues to improve as does Styer and Woodward.

All the local guys who got crushed had their fun. Entry was only $250 for a shot at 200k added. It's like me playing the Turning Stone Classic for $200 where 70% of the field is AA and down. There's always players at those levels that cash. I know players my speed who drew good to top 8.

Sharivari

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Because participating in tournaments is as important as practicing. You need that competition vibe to stay sharp and mentally strong. If you aren't going to tournaments because you can't win, then nobody would go to tournaments anymore. I am participating in the European Open, it will definetly be a financial loss, but it will be a really important experience to become stronger.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Keith Thompson won the Allround at the 1970 Johnston City with a borrowed cue.
Mohamed Soufi almost captured first prize in his first major 9-ball tournament.
……you'll never know if you don’t try

IMG_2251.png
IMG_2250.jpeg