Why is it so hard to play partners?

Saturated Fats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been in an in-house 14.1 partners league for several weeks now and I've come to realize that it is MUCH harder to play at your potential when you are shooting every fourth turn instead of every second turn - but I don't know why.

Occasionally, someone plays without their partner (there are allowances for this) and they invariably play much better.

Is it just the time between turns?

What can be done to overcome this problem?
 
Maybe its becuse you cant get settled in, Im a farily fast shooter when i get into rythem, but i would go crazy if i have to wait every four shots before i can get up to the table.
 
... i would go crazy if i have to wait every four shots before i can get up to the table.

So what do you do against a slow player or a good player that takes longer to miss?

What do you do in a ring game?

I don't see people playing lousy in the above situations, just when playing partners.
 
pressure

So what do you do against a slow player or a good player that takes longer to miss?

What do you do in a ring game?

I don't see people playing lousy in the above situations, just when playing partners.

If someone plays fine in a ring game and poorly in a partners situation the only answer is pressure I believe. They are putting too much pressure on themselves trying to support their partner.

Hu
 
You worry too much about what your partner is doing and you need total concentration to play the way your supposed too. Let go and trust your partner.
 
So what do you do against a slow player or a good player that takes longer to miss?

What do you do in a ring game?

I don't see people playing lousy in the above situations, just when playing partners.

I dont mind playing slow players, i have played some very slow and some of them are very good players. A good player that takes longer to miss is not an issue for me. But i dont have to wait on player B then player C to miss before i get my chance to shoot.



I dont play ring games or doubles or scotch doubles
 
You play the position you want when playing alone. Unless you all discuss before each round of shooting, you may not be shooting the shot you are most comfortable with. Some players may play for multi-rail position while you prefer to use draw or follow more often. I believe these are the biggest factors with partner play.

If players play at the same pace and with the same style of game, this should be much easier.
 
I've been in an in-house 14.1 partners league for several weeks now and I've come to realize that it is MUCH harder to play at your potential when you are shooting every fourth turn instead of every second turn - but I don't know why.

Occasionally, someone plays without their partner (there are allowances for this) and they invariably play much better.

Is it just the time between turns?

What can be done to overcome this problem?

Is it scotch doubles format or "shoot til you miss"?

In the absence of that knowledge, I think Iba76 makes good points about not playing your own shots as you try to accomodate your partner. Nothing plants seeds of doubt in your stroke more than shooting a shot that goes against your grain.
 
14.1 ................... Partners??!!

Sounds like a good way to go insane.... or at best a brain teaser that
you can NEVER figure out! LOL :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Partners IMHO forces you to THINK.... ALL the time .... that's why it's SO
difficult!! IF you can find a partner that you can totally trust their judgement... keep 'em! You're not only playing your game, but you're also trying to set up your partner for what YOU perceive as what they want/need as well as judging what YOU perceive as their weakness so that you can take care of them, lift them up, calm them down, and help them in any way. In partners... the best will take care of their partner, the worst will count their partners misses. The best will never miss... the worst will leave their partner hooked or tough every time....

I can see partners in rotation games, maybe 8 ball, .... but 14.1????

UGH!

If you find the answers, let us know. :smile:


td
 
I see some clarification is needed. We are alternating turns, not shots. I'm shooting shape for myself. My partner is shooting shape for himself.
 
So what do you do against a slow player or a good player that takes longer to miss?

What do you do in a ring game?

I don't see people playing lousy in the above situations, just when playing partners.

You don't? I do. People who sit in the chair a long time don't shoot as well when they get up. Obviously there are counterexamples, but generally it's true IMO.

-Andrew
 
I have the same issue when playing a ring game. I try to hit some balls on a table by myself to get into stroke before playing. This might help.


Shane

You don't? I do. People who sit in the chair a long time don't shoot as well when they get up. Obviously there are counterexamples, but generally it's true IMO.

-Andrew
 
Partners

I used to play a lot of partners back in the late 60's early 70's and once we figured out that one guy has to lay back a little and help setup the other, we started winning a lot more games.
It takes a little strategy and sometimes you have to put ego's aside, get a little breakout with a safety here and there instead of making an easy shot.
Help your partner even if it means not running as many balls as you can.
It also seems like the better teams slow things down a little..JMO
 
double pressure

I agree that it's a matter of pressure when you play partners, but I think the pressure is twofold: the pressure on yourself to support your partner or team, and the pressure that you (intentionally or not) put on your partner to not let you down...

The wait between shots, if you're playing alternate turns, can affect your shooting, too, but I think the pressure is the main hurdle.

Create a mutual sense of complete trust and confidence in your partnership, and find ways to keep yourself completely engaged in the game when you're not shooting. Pretend you're the one shooting every single shot, and guage your own leaves and spins against what they do.
 
Back
Top