Why we can't have nice things

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Danny Diliberto NEVER used a cuss word in his life! Not during a pool game or anywhere else for that matter. And to this day he is offended by people who use expletives. When he was a younger man he would warn someone not to cuss in his presence and if they continued to do so they might get smacked! Most people got the message but a couple that I remember didn't, and suffered the consequences.

I remember when even as an adult, you would almost never cuss around anyone in your family except maybe your dad.

And in public, very rarely.

Changed in the early 2000’s I think. Unfortunately I’m also guilty of letting words fly that I never would as a late teen or early 20’s adult.

Probably wouldn’t be a bad idea we all went back to that.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another comment from a pool player "that was the touch of a rapist", also several instances of the ball hitting the "titty". We are dealing with pool players not broadcasters

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
There was a time when there was no foul language used on the CB radio. Your peers would come down on you hard, maybe to the point of having a little rap session at the next fuel stop if you wouldn't take gentle hints. Aside from people being able to communicate, the language they used to get messages across was far more entertaining. I understand that the CB is unusable now due to ratchet jaws using nothing but foul language. They have overwhelmed peer pressure and the FCC who would pull your license in a short short for foul language. CB's were a thousand times cooler before movies and songs made them "cool".

Not that it matters a whole lot but organized pool could clean up the language overnight if they wanted to. It is amazing how fast words that people can't help disappear when that DQ word starts getting thrown around. Overkill I'll admit but it delivers a message in a hurry!

Hu

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't researched it a lot so if I am wrong someone can correct me, but I think it is only the US players that get language warnings. I know people talk about "in the heat of battle" and such, but all the other players are in the same "heat of battle" and to my knowledge haven't had an issue with it.

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hmm and the Fly Won The Match

Louis Fox​

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigation Jump to search

John Deery (left) and Louis Fox (right) from a group photo

Louis Fox (? - c. December 4, 1866) was an American professional billiards player in the mid-19th century who was briefly the U.S. champion. He is well known for an incident which may or may not have actually happened: He is alleged to have committed suicide as the result of losing a match after a fly interfered with play. The story has become a legend that is often reported as fact.

The confirmed facts are that Fox, who was defending his title as American champion, was defeated in a match by John Deery on September 7, 1865, at Washington Hall in Fox's home town, Rochester, New York; Fox went missing in Rochester on or about December 4, 1866; and his body was found in the Genesee River near the Rochester neighborhood of Charlotte on May 10, 1867. Washington Hall, since demolished, stood at the northeast corner of Main and Clinton, about three blocks east of the Genesee.

The classic version of the story is that Fox was on his way to victory when a fly settled on the cue ball. Fox repeatedly waved his cue stick over the ball to try to brush the fly away. On the third attempt, Fox touched the ball, technically a miscue, forfeiting his shot. His opponent Deery rallied to win the match. The stunned Fox left the billiard hall and committed suicide by diving into the Genesee River. Variations of the story's ending have him drowning himself immediately after the match; the next day; or some time later.

Contemporary sources reported Deery's victory, but apparently nothing about the fly. Reports of Fox's death disagreed on whether his death was thought to be by accident or suicide. Another element appearing in later versions of the story is an alleged $40,000 prize. The prize was actually $1,000.[1]

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't researched it a lot so if I am wrong someone can correct me, but I think it is only the US players that get language warnings. I know people talk about "in the heat of battle" and such, but all the other players are in the same "heat of battle" and to my knowledge haven't had an issue with it.

i don't know if they get warnings but the commentators excuse the language. they did it also in singapore's second or third match when yapp or toh said expletives about the heat in the arena

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
Danny Diliberto NEVER used a cuss word in his life! Not during a pool game or anywhere else for that matter. And to this day he is offended by people who use expletives. When he was a younger man he would warn someone not to cuss in his presence and if they continued to do so they might get smacked! Most people got the message but a couple that I remember didn't, and suffered the consequences.
I’ve heard that before and love that story. I’m sure there were plenty of people who didn’t expect him to be a former champion level boxer.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Skyler's comment after missing an easy shot in the semi-final - Fucking bug! - was completeky undignified considering that he was representing his country in a prestigious tournament, with the microphone on! Agree or disagree?

When I was growing up (1950s and 1960s) we wandered around KNOWING that there was no one taking pictures or recording sound so we could get along with the job of being <well> children.

What surprises me today is that anyone expects that no one is taking pictures or recording sound. THEY ARE--act accordingly--and at all times.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member

If you don’t like that word, this link is not for you or kids.

If you want a deeper understanding of the F word. This is a very educational video. Only couple minutes of informative enlightenment.

Schools open,
Fatboy 😂😂
I happen to know John and Shirley. Very accurate video.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
They just curse in their Mother tongue. Which also includes some not so nice comments about the ref.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
The matter of cursing at the pool table during a streamed/televised match cannot be considered in a vacuum.

Is cursing OK in sports? For the sports that have already successfully carved out their territory and have sponsorship all over the place, cursing should be discouraged and only penalized when it becomes extreme. In baseball, curse at an umpire and you'll be ejected from that game and probably fined but not suspended. Other first tier sports can and usually do take a similar "not so stringent" view.

Then there are the sports that haven't made it yet, that need much more sponsorship than they have, and those sports will find themselves under more pressure to make a statement by taking a tougher stance when it comes to profanity to improve their images in the eyes of potential sponsors.

Of late, pro pool has been doing a better job of managing its image. In the recent past, cursing and bad behavior led to Billy Thorpe being dropped by Cuetec, one of pool's major sponsors. Similarly, profanity led to Darren Appleton's current ban from tournament play by Matchroom, the game's most important event producer. Skyler's a great guy for sure, and his isolated use of a profanity during a streamed match is much less objectionable than with Thorpe or Appleton, but it's a little surprising to me that Matchroom has chosen to let it slide.

Personally, I hope that no would-be sponsors of pro pool were watching that match, as such incidents tend to reinforce the negative image that has so often obstructed pool's access to the sponsorship desired.

The day might come when pro pool has enough sponsorship in place that it can get away with things that even slightly tarnish its image, but until we get there, pro pool needs to be conscientious about presenting itself properly.

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I heard it when he said he on the livestream and thought uh-oh. Of course, Sky didn't mean to curse on TV, but it just came out. I agree that the people on TV and livestreams of pro events should use caution and not curse, but on a "real" TV station, they'd just bleep it out. Happens all the time on TV with a bleep. 😛

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I heard it when he said he on the livestream and thought uh-oh. Of course, Sky didn't mean to curse on TV, but it just came out. I agree that the people on TV and livestreams of pro events should use caution and not curse, but on a "real" TV station, they'd just bleep it out. Happens all the time on TV with a bleep. 😛
My guess is these events with matchroom are live and not on a 7 second delay like "real" TV stations for live events.