Will Mike Surber Ever Get Justice ? ? ?

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We use these as our tag line on all forums and game sites we are members on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGghdlYLsQY
www.mikesurber.com

I just went and looked and fox has blocked it, now I have to look into that

It's amazing the people that send me pm's on other forums and game sites saying they watched the utube and will put the links on their information.

We have pics of Mike on our screen saver and sometimes you walk into the room and there he is on the computer, I hope one day I can see it and just smile, not feel sad.

Mike is missed alot in this household. He was one of the nicest people in the world, he didn't deserve this, he died helping someone out.

hugs and thanks to all that keep Mike's name and case out there

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
This morning, thanks to your post, it reminded me that I haven't spoken to the officer in charge of this case in quite a while. I called to get an update from him but found the number was no longer valid.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
This morning, thanks to your post, it reminded me that I haven't spoken to the officer in charge of this case in quite a while. I called to get an update from him but found the number was no longer valid.

Of all my fellow az'ers, I know that won't stop you from getting an update.

If you need any kind of an assist, feel free to post or pm.

Has anyone heard from Gulfport Doc on this in a while?

best,
brian kc

bondsman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
About a year ago someone included the name that this guy was using. I have forgotten the name but I did a search for the guy and found a drifter arredted inthe Nortwest using that same name. Does someone remember the name. Finding people is my primary business and wnt to tke a crack at it. albeit on line because of my location.

Last edited:

eezbank

Silver Surfer
Silver Member
About a year ago someone included the name that this guy was using. I have forgotten the name but I did a search for the guy and found a drifter arredted inthe Nortwest using that same name. Does someone remember the name. Finding people is my primary business and wnt to tke a crack at it. albeit on line because of my location.

The alias he used was Jericho Cooper.

SloMoHolic

When will then be now?
Silver Member

Joey, PM me if you need any help getting in touch with this officer (or whomever has taken charge of the case). I work very closely with my Homicide unit and Cold Case unit. I'm sure I can help you get in touch with the right folks.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How can they not find and arrest the coward who murdered a fine man like Mike Surber's, the police are a horrible joke and should be ashamed of their shortcomings !

I think it's a matter of not having the funds needed. The detective in Ocean Springs can only work with the tools, and funds, available, unfortunately. :(

If this murder happened in, say, Chicago, New York City, Los Angeles, it would be a different story. More people would be involved.

This case has, indeed, gone cold, though it is not cold on this forum, thank goodness.

I was so hopeful when this was going to be aired on "America's Most Wanted," but the TV show is on a cable channel, not a prime-time channel like Fox. This limits its viewing audience.

I was once told by a United States Senator from Maryland that when the media is involved, authorities pay attention. There was limited media attention to this case, which was mostly local to Ocean Springs/Gulfport area. There is truth to the saying the squeaky wheel gets greased.

At this juncture, the police involvement, "America's Most Wanted" airing, and local media coverage has not seemed to help bring justice to the senseless murder of Mike Surber. If someone were to take the initiative to write an article and have it go mainstream in the national media, such as USAToday, and online outlets, it might produce a spark of interest. It could garner the attention of federal authorities as well.

At this stage, I am sad to say the ball has been dropped. The case is cold. Talk is cheap, as they say. Actions speak louder than words on a forum.

For those who feel strongly about this, I would respectfully suggest to put their efforts into a writing campaign to State and United States Senators from Mississippi, as well as Members of Congress; Federal law enforcement, FBI; online national newspaper publications, as well as print newspaper/magazine publications; and Phil Bryant, the Governor of Mississippi.

In an election year, also contact the opponents of those running. Some candidates will grasp an issue, such as this, and run with it to bring attention to their campaign. This is the time to use politics to our advantage. :wink:

Those are my suggestions and food for thought. I don't have the fight in me anymore to pursue any of the above-referenced ideas, but I hope someone who reads this thread and is passionate about this topic will follow through. :)

flash5153

none
Silver Member
They guy has a familiar face and one someone remembers. I can't believe he has not been caught.
Maybe he is dead,,,but he still should have been identified. Maybe went to Mexico!!

I think if we keep posting the AMW link to every site we can. He will be found. Someone knows him from the pictures!!

I will re post the link today in several places. The more that do this,,the better it is!!

I figured he would be caught by now,,,,but I'm confident it will happen!!

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
the police are a horrible joke and should be ashamed of their shortcomings !

Actually the City were the Homicide took place is a very small city under 25,000 residents.

I am sure the Police Department don't have the resources of the Federal Government, the State of Massachusetts, and City of Boston who found their Boston bombing suspects very fast thanks to funds, a lot of man power, and world wide press coverage.

Sadly ever day in the USA there are homicides, were the suspect gets away with murder, because of lack of resources the investigating polices agency has.

The good News is the suspect has received attention from America's Most Wanted, and is in a National Data Base of Wanted people, so he could do something very simple to get some Cops attention, and wind up caught.

Took how many years to catch the UNIBOMBER. now he sits in Colorado Super Max. for life.

Last edited:

eezbank

Silver Surfer
Silver Member
After I read this story I thought the suspect was finally going to be captured...

http://www.wlox.com/story/13970899/os-murder-suspect-may-be-back-in-mississippi

By Doug Walker - bio | email

OCEAN SPRINGS, MS (WLOX) - For 15 months, investigators in Ocean Springs have been searching for the man who killed Michael Surber. They have a suspect, and even know what he looks like, but again and again they've hit brick walls. Now, they may be close to getting the break they've been hoping for.

"We have unconfirmed reports that the suspect was recently in the Jackson, Mississippi area," Lt. John Flowers told WLOX News.

Flowers is the lead detective on the case. He said the man his department has been searching for may be back in the state, traveling with a blond woman. That's why he wants to make sure everyone knows exactly what their wanted man looks like.

Surveillance video from Skeeter's Billiards in Gulfport shows the last time Surber was seen alive. He left Skeeter's with the suspect. Two days later, the much loved billiards player was found stabbed to death inside his Linda Circle home.

"I would say it was a medium sized knife." Flowers said.

Cash was also stolen from the home.

"Some facts of the case would lead one to believe that this was a crime of opportunity, but then there are others that would make one think that he was targeted."

Flowers also thinks the suspect may have a lengthy criminal past.

"We can tie him to other crimes. Do they rise to the level of this crime? That is unclear at this time."

One thing is clear: A killer is roaming free.

"He's got to be resting his head somewhere. He's sleeping somewhere, whether it be a hotel, campground, family member or friend," Flowers said. "We would like these folks to come forward. If anyone sees the photos or views the video, contact us."

It's been 15 long months since Michael Surber was found dead in his Ocean Springs home, and during that 15 months, investigators have spent countless hours pouring over evidence and looking at photos. It's led to frustration for Flowers and other members of the police department.

"I speak personally and professionally. It is a top priority for this department to solve this case," Flowers said. "Not only does Michael Surber deserve justice, but his family does."

If you have any information about the case, call the Ocean Springs Police Department at (228) 875-2211. Or you can leave an anonymous tip with Crime Stoppers at 877-787-5898.

When I read this I thought they knew who the suspect was and just needed someone to identify him. The fact that this is where the trail runs cold and where the suspect was sighted a week after the murder AND 15 months after was sighted again in the area could suggest that he either lives in the area or has family or friends in the area of Jackson.

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think ultimately someone will snitch on him (he may be in jail somewhere now) or one of us will spot this guy somewhere. His image is fixed in my head!

Same here, i can clearly see Jerico coopers mug in my head all the time!

I will never forget what that man looks like, i just hope someday somewhere i see that ugly bastard, so i can turn him in!

Mike Surber would still be alive if he wasnt such a nice guy, it sad but true nice guys finish last!

I used to be very nice to all people even ones i didnt know at all, i had to change that because of the way some people took it for granted, now days i treat people the same way they treat me, i dont like being this way but thats what life does to people!

bondsman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I posted one of the arrests for a Jericho Cooper from Mn. I realze that this is suppose to be a lais that name is so unusualthat I can find only a couple listed.

So if the ID was stolen, where was it stolen from. What location? Maybe the Jericho Cooper i listed here needs to be shown the picures and video because the guy might have been a cellmate, Tough name to just make up.

Reactions: JAM

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I posted one of the arrests for a Jericho Cooper from Mn. I realze that this is suppose to be a lais that name is so unusualthat I can find only a couple listed.

So if the ID was stolen, where was it stolen from. What location? Maybe the Jericho Cooper i listed here needs to be shown the picures and video because the guy might have been a cellmate, Tough name to just make up.

The Jericho Cooper ID's origin came from Georgia. It is not known whether this murderer hails from Georgia or was just traveling through.

Within a week or two after Mike Surber's murder, this man was seen in a bar closeby to Ocean Springs with a female associate, and they skipped out on the bill.

Here's the snippet from the media article:

“Jericho” appeared again days after Michael’s murder at Shucker’s Oyster Bar in Ridgeland, Miss., with a female companion. The manager called police after the suspect walked out on his $100 bar tab. He reportedly told the female employees he was a talent scout for Jinx Atlantic and tried to get one employee to come visit his studios, where she could record her own CD.

Source: $10,000 Unsolved Murder Reward [Retrieved 9 May 2013]

Thanks, Bondsman, for your efforts! :)

Others who are writing on this thread that have expressed a desire to help, it would be beneficial to write to the congressional representatives and the Governor of Missisippi, as suggested.

Talk is cheap, as they say, and actions speak louder than words. :wink:

I will try to help you by providing the contact links, which I've done previously, but I'll do it again:

Contact Mississippi Governor Phil Bryant ---> HERE

Contact Mississippi Senator Thad Cochran ---> HERE

Contact Mississippi Senator Roger Wicker ---> HERE

Contact U.S. Congressman Steve Palazzo (4th District of Mississippi): ---> HERE

I hope you all take the time to contact these representatives of Mississippi. Remember, the squeaky wheel gets greased. Squawking on this forum isn't going to help much. Again, actions speak louder than words. So, if you care as much as you say you do on this forum, then please write to them! A short paragraph would suffice.

Seeing the interest in this case from places other than Mississippi would also open their eyes to the national attention this cold case is receiving. :)

flyvirginiaguy

Classic Cue Lover
Silver Member
Talk is cheap, as they say, and actions speak louder than words. :wink:

Contact Mississippi Governor Phil Bryant ---> HERE DONE

Contact Mississippi Senator Thad Cochran ---> HERE DONE

Contact Mississippi Senator Roger Wicker ---> HERE DONE

Contact U.S. Congressman Steve Palazzo (4th District of Mississippi): ---> HERE DONE

Reactions: JAM

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Of all my fellow az'ers, I know that won't stop you from getting an update.

If you need any kind of an assist, feel free to post or pm.

Has anyone heard from Gulfport Doc on this in a while?

best,
brian kc

Lt. Flowers is no longer with the Ocean Springs police department. No wonder his cell phone no longer works. Left a message for the new guy requesting an update from him. I didn't want to give the impression that I had any leads on the case. I'm just as stumped as everyone else.

GreenFeltguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike Surber's deserves Justice

many of us who knew Mike are infuriated that the Police cannot nab the scum bag with pictures of him, simply because they obviously don't care. I would be embarrassed to call myself an Ocean Springs, Miss. Police officer.
They identified the two guys in Boston strictly from pictures but obviously were motivated enough to catch these guys. I guess Mike Surber's didn't matter enough for the detectives assigned to this case, shame on you !

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When this first happened, I immediately wanted to do something to help -- anything. Thereafter, cryptic posts were made on this forum, stating we forum members should bow out and not write anything or do anything, which almost thwarted me from trying to help. I'm glad I ignored those cryptic posts.

If people feel very strongly about it, as they write on this thread and other threads, why not go on a writing campaign to the officials? This may be the last hope for getting this cold case solved.

Again, talk is cheap. I can write on this forum all day long and say how bad I feel, but in my case, I did something about it. I spent a little time writing letters as well as a few other things.

Threads like this don't mean squat if you don't follow them up with action.