Will this shutdown finish off most pool halls in the US?

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Really a shame. A civil discourse among concerned posters poisoned by this dogmatic, impertinent and vigilant finger pointing. Look forward, not backward and embrace every friend and foe as a citizen of the world, for we must come together at this moment and this kind of bitter finger pointing does not advance the cause of unity.

It is your every right to disapprove of our government, its leadership and its actions, and to favor any societal formula you choose, but please take your political drivel to NPR and leave it there.

History will judge the causes, effects and undercurrents of these disheartening times in due course and with far greater clarity and comprehensiveness than is possible today, but for now, it's best for us to focus on the present, in which we must all pull together to avert a more severe result in the immediate future.

I will invite Mr. James to come to NPR. Thank you.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
I'll take door #1.

SS, income tax, Medicare are NOT examples of successful gov't programs, but they have one thing in common, THEFT.
Blaming repubs for the prison sytem failures is a stretch, but I'd rather have the criminals locked up than roaming free to commit more crimes (the platform of the dems).

Back on topic, I think anything more than a month will cause a hit on the number of pool rooms.

Joliet James,
I would like to invite you to NPR anytime you're ready. Several here don't like political statements in the midst of Pool conversations.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I will invite Mr. James to come to NPR. Thank you.

Much appreciated, Robin. Having met you, I know you to be a good guy of good character, but I felt you crossed a line here. Perhaps I came on too strong. Anyway, be safe and be well.

Last edited:

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Much appreciated, Robin. Having met you, I know you to be a good guy of good character, but I felt you crossed a line here. Perhaps I cam on too strong. Anyway, be safe and be well.

Thank you. No harm done.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I am hoping as the warm weather hit this Virus like most seasonal Virus's goes away, then the business that have some stability & money in the bank will reopen. Plus life will return to what was know as normal.

History is a wonderful teacher, and in my life time of 70 plus years I experienced when ever Kids in the USA's parents worried their child would be struck down by polio. Thanks to Jonas Salk, the word Polio was removed for our every day conversation.

Over the next 60 year it was the assignation of JFK, the Vietnam War, the 1911 Attach. We Americans are a strong bunch, and when the chips in the past were down, American rallied.

Was talking to my buddy, he is 88 lost his wife of 64 years, last July 1st. Her having it toughtbtime. I call to see if he need anything from the grocery store tomarrow.

We talk about this fear over Corona. He mention when he was in the US Navy on an Aircrew, evertime he walkout to get into his Aircraft for a Mission over Korea in the Korean War he was scare shit****, as soon are they we're airborne. Things were OK, yes they we're attacked by Migs a few times, as they were supporting the Marines on the ground.

Their mission was dropping flair at nights, so the Marine could identify the Chi-Coms trying to kill them. Flair lit up the are, so the Marines could shoot the CHi-Coms. They were VP-871, know as the Lamlighters. Thought you might enjoy photo of VP-871's Patch.

vp871logo_04jan2002.jpg

But the good new is he survived, got shot up a couple of time by Migs, but alway made it home safe to base.

Yes some Pool Bars & Pool Rooms will close, and not reopen. But the good News is I expect some will be their soon, open for business as usually.

I expect our community Pool Room to reopen, then it will be like normal, some of my fellow senior complain about Monday when those loud Mis-Cues take over the place, and make too much noise. (Our ladies club).:D

Next b***h will be in August when they close the room to paint, clean, and recover the tabl

Last edited:

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think sadly that many rooms will not reopen again- so there will be probably less rooms now than any period in the last 100 years. Honestly believe that pool will be close to extinct in the U.S. within 20 years. i may lose the value of my entire collection too- but I'm not selling- I love them!

Won't happen. Pool will have another heyday again. Could be a movie, a certain celebrity liking it, TV show. Pool is cyclical and will make a comeback. Reality is most pool halls are so poorly designed and managed they almost desrver to fail.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Won't happen. Pool will have another heyday again. Could be a movie, a certain celebrity liking it, TV show. Pool is cyclical and will make a comeback. Reality is most pool halls are so poorly designed and managed they almost desrver to fail.
I agree. Some will close and some will open. Small rooms with low overhead will be the norm. The rooms that live month-2-month may not survive or will have to downsize. Pool won't die off completely.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Reality is finally setting in for even the most stubborn minded.
The nation will be in a shut down condition for another 6 -10 wks.

Small rural areas may start to return to doing some business first.
Major cities and large population areas not so quickly and slowly.

Pool halls depend on leagues from what I’ve seen. Although a pool
room may reopen, how quickly will APA, BCA, TAP, and in house
leagues resume play and will players show up or sit out for awhile?

This pandemic is kicking the ass of lots of enterprises and pool halls
in general were already on shaky ground around the nation. This has
got to intimidate pool room operators and let’s hope they all survive.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I agree. Some will close and some will open. Small rooms with low overhead will be the norm. The rooms that live month-2-month may not survive or will have to downsize. Pool won't die off completely.

Agreed, there will be consolidation and the best will survive. Fewer but better and stronger. The thinning of retailers may also help pool rooms/sports bars negotiate the type of competitive leases they need to be viable. I would not want to be a landlord these days.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Pool will never die. It's just to cool a game to go away. I've seen pool tables in all kinds of night clubs and exclusive hang outs all my life. Not to mention every wealthy person's home is not complete without a pool room.

I suspect we will see more clubs in the future that serve food, drinks and music, and have a few pool tables to socialize around. They are perfect for that fun atmosphere.

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If everything goes smoothly, there shall be no evictions allowed during this downtime. And as such, most banks will be easing payments for properties affected by the mandated closures.

No the sky is not falling.

Jared Kushner is demanding rent from all of his tenants. He’s up to his is neck in debt. The only thing that’s kept him afloat is his father-in-law in the a White House and Saudi money.

philly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
A question for Philly. Do think pat's better than Gino's?

Always been a Pat's fan.
Before or after every Philly sporting event regardless of the season.
However Jim's Steaks at 4th & South St. is the best in my opinion.

Dallasandro's chops their meat a little finer but is a damned good cheesesteak.
They are not in Center City or South Philly.
They're in the Roxbourough section on Wendover and Henry Ave.

I'm a provolone guy rather than whiz.

Must have eaten a thousand Pat's over the years.

DarkPoseidon6

Registered
Reality is finally setting in for even the most stubborn minded.
The nation will be in a shut down condition for another 6 -10 wks.

Small rural areas may start to return to doing some business first.
Major cities and large population areas not so quickly and slowly.

Pool halls depend on leagues from what I’ve seen. Although a pool
room may reopen, how quickly will APA, BCA, TAP, and in house
leagues resume play and will players show up or sit out for awhile?

This pandemic is kicking the ass of lots of enterprises and pool halls
in general were already on shaky ground around the nation. This has
got to intimidate pool room operators and let’s hope they all survive.

I don't think it will be as bad as people think. Pool rooms, yes to a certain extent, but bars and leagues.... not so much, because they have established themselves for many years.

It would be absurd to think that even a shutdown for just months would bankrupt bars and leagues. I've seen some bars that did absolutely horrible business for YEARS that were able to hold on and recover.

You gotta keep positive :0)

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Pool will never die. It's just to cool a game to go away. I've seen pool tables in all kinds of night clubs and exclusive hang outs all my life. Not to mention every wealthy person's home is not complete without a pool room.

I suspect we will see more clubs in the future that serve food, drinks and music, and have a few pool tables to socialize around. They are perfect for that fun atmosphere.

Jay is wise, but the flip side is Pool side or popularity was mentioned in the book "Willie World", (Mosconi's Life), it was said it has shrunk since year of Willies birth, 1913.

Small, and smaller unless someone figures out how to rebuild intrest long term.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jay is wise, but the flip side is Pool side or popularity was mentioned in the book "Willie World", (Mosconi's Life), it was said it has shrunk since year of Willies birth, 1913.

Small, and smaller unless someone figures out how to rebuild intrest long term.

Yes and this is the point I was trying to make- the industry, the rooms, the number of REAL participants, and the number of people UNDER age 18 with any meaningful billiards interest was at its lowest point in the U.S. prior to this virus. Close to extinction is what is said- in 20 years- pretty much everyone 60 and older today will be a non factor in any part of the game.

I moved here to SW Florida 2 years ago from the Northeast Tri State area. There is only ONE billiard hall within a two hour driving range that I consider a decent room- every time I have been there ALL of the 9 foot tables have people playing that are close to 60 or older- same with the ONE Govt. recreation room in my city with 2 nine footers- NO ONE there is under 60- no one! BOTH OF THESE ROOMS ARE FREE POOL FROM OPENING TO 6PM!! Only major metro area rooms will exist in 20 years UNLESS something happens to dramatically aid the state of this game in the U.S.

The Virus and resulting nation wide devastation to small business owners is going to speed that up, IMO. I WISH NONE OF THIS WAS TRUE! But that is just what I see.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it will finish most,but who knows the future
maybe it will open opportunity for some brave souls with money

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
On a positive note of a sort. During the Great Depression poolrooms flourished. The out of work and unemployed had a place to hang out all day. They could buy a cup of coffee for a nickel and stay all day. The real pool players worked these rooms looking for the occasional mark who had money on him.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
I'm feeling this in a chapter of the Grapes of Wrath.

On a positive note of a sort. During the Great Depression poolrooms flourished. The out of work and unemployed had a place to hang out all day. They could buy a cup of coffee for a nickel and stay all day. The real pool players worked these rooms looking for the occasional mark who had money on him.