Willie Jopling's death

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Rip

I was priviledged to meet Bill Marshal during the 2005 Derby City Classic. I told him how much his instructional tapes and written articles had improved my one pocket skills; whereupon he shook my hand, and thanked me with one of his famous smiles. Rest in peace Willie.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
Scott Lee introduced me to Bill. Got to spend a day with this gentleman. A day I will never forget. Thanks Scott. God Bless Bill......SPF=randyg

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The pool world definitely lost a gem today. My condolences go out to his family and friends.

mr8ball

This just came out in todays paper here in Lynchburg. If anyone would like to sing the guest book please go here.

http://www.legacy.com/gb2/default.aspx?bookid=1494785084640

Here is theObituaries

William "Bill" Jopling Marshall Jr., 83, of Lynchburg, died Tuesday, Nov. 24, 2009. He was the husband of Anne Poe Marshall for 53 years.

Bill was born Jan. 20, 1926, in Bedford, a son of the late William Jopling Marshall Sr. and Kathleen Fizer Marshall. He graduated from the Franklin Institute of Professional Art in New York City and also proudly served our country in the U.S. Air Force during World War II. He was a commercial artist and owner of Advertising Art Service in Lynchburg. Bill was also a member of Centenary United Methodist Church. Bill's true passion in life was playing pocket billiards and his forte was trick shots.

In addition to his wife, he is survived by his children, William Jenks Marshall of Lynchburg and Anne Elizabeth Marshall of Gladys; his brothers, Robert E. Marshall of Lynchburg and John R. Marshall of Middletown, N.J.; his sisters, Dorothy Coleman of Lynchburg, Sue Bragg of Newburgh, Ind., and a host of nieces and nephews.

In addition to his parents, Bill was preceded in death by his infant son, William Jopling Marshall III, and one sister, Linda Phillips.

A private family memorial service will be held per Mr. Marshall's request.

Tharp Funeral Home & Crematory, Lynchburg, is assisting the family, (434) 237-9424. Condolences may be sent to the family by visiting

www.tharpfuneralhome.com

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tom...I've had many visits to that restaurant with Bill too! LOL Thank you for the beautiful, heartfelt testamonial. I am working on something that hopefully will create a lasting memorial, and keep the dreams of Willie Jopling alive forever! He was one of our sports greatest treasures...but you would have never known it by him! Like Efren, 'humble' was Bill's middle name! Kudos to you and Marty, and best wishes on your travels!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Then, we would share some pie and ice cream at one of his favorite restaurants.

Dr Cue

Registered
Scott,

Willie meant so much to so many!! He was honest, caring, and indeed humble. He never met a stranger and was fan-friendly to everyone!

He loved performing some of his unique shot creations during my shows, with those in attendance always showing their appreciation. Each time I think of him I will never forget the very special moments we shared.

Please let Marty and me know what we can do to help in your effort to establish a memorial for him.

"Dr. Cue" and "Ms. Cue"

Last edited:

Palmetto cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sad News

So sorry to hear of Mr Jopling's passing. I have enjoyed his stories, and specialty shots for years. I've had a great time talking with him the last two years at DCC. He will be truly missed. My prayers to his family. Rest in peace.

Chi2dxa

Lost over C&D Triangle
Silver Member
I am so sorry to here that because I was so looking forward to him showing some shots from his video that I still cannot make. I would see him at the DCC and he is such a nice guy. I will remember him in my prayers and pray for his family. I will really miss seeing him again at the DCC.

Brian in VA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is very sad news! My condolences to his family and all of his many, many friends.

I was fortunate to be introduced to him about 3 years ago at the US Open in Chesapeake. He was a true southern gentleman, soft spoken with courtly manners, and incredibly humble. When I told him I looked forward to reading his article every month in BD, he practically blushed.

Our sport has lost one of the lions of the past. He will be missed!

Brian in VA

Drawman623

Box Cue lover
Silver Member
This has been a difficult year. I lost friends Art Cantando, Ed Gregory and now Bill Marshall. All I can say is that I am proud he called me his friend. I'm lucky I got to know him, and I remember him smiling with humor in his heart.

MVC-008F.jpg

Last edited:

JamisonNeu

Mr. Masse
Silver Member
Bill was the best "trick shot" maker upper I ever met...

Some of you have heard me say this before but, it is real easy to invent hard shots...It is almost impossible to make up easy shots. If this makes any since.

Bill was the king of inventing shots that anyone can make. He gave me one of my most charished compliments, and I will miss the lessons he gave me. He taught me a new trick shot every time I saw him.

Willie I will forever tell your tale. Goodbye!

Last edited: