Windex

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone using Windex on their table to clean the cloth? Is this advisable ? Any pros or cons about this idea appreciated .

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unless the cloth was stained all you need to do to maintain the cloth is regular vacuuming and wiping it down once every couple months with a damp towel (extremely wrung out).

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
COPIED from Simonis.com

The cloth can be brushed, but to remove the chalk and talc powders, it can be cleaned with the new Simonis X-1® or it can be carefully vacuumed with a non-rotating brush-head attachment that does not allow for too much suction to be formed. Some small vacuums can pick up bowling balls, but this will only stretch the cloth on the table and possibly harm the grouting of the slates as well. You should test your vacuum and brush attachment off of the table first to make certain that it is not going to damage the play surface. Less is more in this department. After all, you are trying to remove a fine powder from a smooth cloth, so don't overdo it. The Simonis X-1®, is a new device that will allow you to keep your cloth in great playing condition and extend the cloth's life by actually removing the chalk dust from the cloth.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have always used just a mildly damp clean cotton cloth on Simonis- it works and I doubt that it needs anything else. I prefer doing this cleaning after every 5 hours of play on a table.

I agree with wiping own the cloth in one direction only. I also believe in light pressure on the damp cloth - no reason to be grinding the cleaning cloth into the table cloth.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don’t do it……instead, try hot damp cloths wiped in the same direction.
Cold water. Never use hot water on worsted wool.

I agree with wiping own the cloth in one direction only. I also believe in light pressure on the damp cloth - no reason to be grinding the cleaning cloth into the table cloth.
Not necessary as Simonis isn't directional.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I brush the cloth and use a small handheld vacuum cleaner that I brush the dust into. After that I wipe the cloth with a barely damp microfiber cloth. I do this at the end of the days play, as the dampness does slow the cloth down some. Never used any cleaning agents on the cloth, and I don't think I will in the future. Essentially the cloth is quite similar to the material used in a mens suit. Would you spray windex all over your suit? Don't think so.

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have always brushed the table with the good quality brush that has been out there forever. After brushing everything down to the bottom of the table I vacuum the area where all the debris is located. Then with the microfiber towel and warm water (just damp after squeezing ) clean the cloth in one direction. Been doing that for the last 40 years. I read on here a week or 2 ago about using windex to help keep the cloth clean, and just got inquisitive about such. Thanks for the feed back.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Vacuums are better than brushing that only removes some of the dirt and rearranges a lot more.
When you brush you also push the dirt down into the cloth. And particles settle after brushing.
Using a vacuum is the best because it pulls, lifts and removes most dirt instead of pushing it

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
New 860HR in the darker green color , has been on the table about 2 months now. Tomorrow is my Birthday. Rarely does it fall back to Thanksgiving day Nov 25. I think I spied a Siminos Cloth cleaner come in from a pool supply spot yesterday. Guess I'll find out how well that sucker works after the feast in the afternoon. Is it called the X1 or something like that?

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
New 860HR in the darker green color , has been on the table about 2 months now. Tomorrow is my Birthday. Rarely does it fall back to Thanksgiving day Nov 25. I think I spied a Siminos Cloth cleaner come in from a pool supply spot yesterday. Guess I'll find out how well that sucker works after the feast in the afternoon. Is it called the X1 or something like that?
Yep post # 4 above. Give a review if you do get one.. Happy Thanksgiving Birthday! PS I was born on a holiday as well the 4th of july!!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WTF??? windex,at least the regular stuff, has fkng ammonia in it. WTF would you spray anything with ammonia on pool cloth??? Sounds insane to me. Would you spray Windex on a nice worsted jacket?? Fk no you wouldn't.

Last edited:

PracticeChampion

WTF??? windex,at least the regular stuff, has fkng ammonia in it. WTF would you spray anything with ammonia on pool cloth??? Sounds insane to me. Would you spray Windex on a nice worsted jacket?? Fk no you wouldn't.
I don't understand where the ideal even comes from, maybe blue Windex cleans blue simonis better 🤷🏻‍♂️ 😂

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't understand where the ideal even comes from, maybe blue Windex cleans blue simonis better 🤷🏻‍♂️ 😂
Been playing on Simonis since late 80's and have never heard of doing this til someone mentioned here on AZ. Never seen it done or had a mechanic so much as mention it. Windex is not meant to go on wool. At all.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Been playing on Simonis since late 80's and have never heard of doing this til someone mentioned here on AZ. Never seen it done or had a mechanic so much as mention it. Windex is not meant to go on wool. At all.
My guess is Windex may be a decent choice to clean the pool balls, but certainly not the cloth.