Women At The US Opem...maybe

Teddydog

Banned
Barry is in dreamland..

Ahh, hello?... Barry?... This is America, and if you think you can just tell women they cannot participate because they are women, then you are in for a huge surprise, brother...

You better get a lawyer, idiot..

wahcheck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How 'bout....

How about just naming it the "U.S. Men's Open"......?
This issue reminds me of the recent victory by a woman in the Bowling world's "Tournament of Champions".....

pocono

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
US Open

Just so everyone knows, women have played in Barry's US Open in the open division, and Barry has also had a women's division in his US Opens in the past.

It was also the women who made the decision to go thier own way. I think the solution is rather simple, One Pro tour with men and women. You can have open qualify tournaments for the up and coming players.

wutang

THE DEADLY GAMESMAN
Silver Member
I love my pool playing women. Dont get it twisted. But if there's a gender barrier one way, out of fairness, we should 'hold to the law' the other way. It's a no-brainer. The wpba is not going to take the 'w' out of its title and allow us to play. The jpnewt is not going to take the 'w' out of its title for us as well. And so forth for all other tournaments that have 'women only' addressed in their titles. You have u.s. Open men's and women's tournaments in other major sports like: Tennis, golf, bowling, basketball (nba and wnba), etc. They are on prime time television. And believe you me, there are not going to 'merge the sexes' just because. Im for having 'open' tourneys for everyone (all sexes) to play in. But the men dont have much to go around and call 'our own'. Over the past 5-7 years (ballpark figure), all i see advertised are 'open or women's' slapped on a tournament title. The women can play in either or, but the men are restrcited to just the 'open'. Where are the men's only tournaments?? What do we have to call 'our own'? The U.S. Open has been around for like 'ever. Barry said, 'no women allowed' for whatever his reasons are. I dont see any reason to 'break traditon' cause a small handful wants to particpate. If 'tradition' is broken on one side, it must be broken for the other side as well. Once again this has nothing to do with 'not wanting' women to play with the men. I love my ladies. Im at most thier local events watching them get down like us with the same passion. I just dont like it when there's 'inconsistancy in principle'.

PEACE

WUTANG

P.S IN LIKE '99-'00, I SENT AN EMAIL TO P AND B MAGAZINE ABOUT 'THE MEN'S TOUR'. APARENTLY, IT CAUGHT SOMEONE'S EYE. IT GOT SOME PRINT IN THE MAG. CHECK IT OUT. ITS UNDER THE NAME: EPYH

Last edited:

billiardshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would this mean Barry would paid the entry fee for the !984 thru 1994 Women US Open Winners for 2011, as he does for the past Men US Open Winners?

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
And as of WPBA there is no viable excuse for not allowing man to play. Allowing only women is sexist and wrong... how about that? :wink: According to your point of view every woman-only competititon (world championships, european championships, amway cup, etc.) is sexist and wrong. Not so simple topic huh?

An "Open" tournament should be open. Period. Yes it is simple huh?

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
Would this mean Barry would paid the entry fee for the !984 thru 1994 Women US Open Winners for 2011, as he does for the past Men US Open Winners?

No. They didn't win the US Open. Why is this so difficult?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nope, I don't think they should. And even if they were to be allowed to play in the WPBA events...I would bet that 95% of them would not be able to abide by the player code of conduct rules or agree with many of the policies. Too many have the "what's in it for me" type of attitude.

Easy there Cristi. First of all the WPBA has exactly two solid events scheduled this year, with prospects for two or three more. To call that a "tour" is a stretch. And to restrict the WPBA players from playing in other events not "sanctioned" by them is also a major stretch. Unfair is one word I might use to describe this, and illegal might be another. If this is the policy of the WPBA to try to stop their players from competing elsewhere if the opportunity arises, then the players should be very unhappy and have every reason to complain, and even not to comply.

To make the assumption that 95% of men cannot abide by rules of conduct is another leap by you. I have conducted many events with large fields of players and rarely have more than one or two who are disruptive in any way. The percentage of men players I have had problems with is more like 1-2%, with 98% of them very agreeable to the rules and codes of conduct. It is just that the few bad ones get a lot of publicity for their behavior.

As far as the "what's in it for me" attitude you speak of, that may apply to several women players as well, including a few of the "stars". I don't want to get into a debate about this with you, but I feel you have unfairly branded men pool players as difficult to deal with and that is not the case at all. Most of the men are true professionals in every sense of the word and a pleasure to be around. I first think of some of our newer young champions, like Oscar Dominguez, Sylver Ochoa, Mitch Ellerman, Shane Van Boening and Beau Runningen. I could go on but I think you get my point.

Last edited:

Leanne A

Registered
Please correct me if I am wrong but aren't there hundreds of tournaments every week that the top pros can't play in? Aren't there D, C, and B tournaments that top pros can't play in?

Aren't there wheelchair events that able-bodied players can't play in?

But any C-player, and any player confined to a wheelechair can play in the US Open. As long as HE has a PENIS.

No one cries when Joe the Accountant from Boise has a good day and plays over his head and knocks Johnny Archer out of the US Open. No one says Joe shouldn't be allowed to play because he bit off more than he could chew or that Joe is taking money out of the pro's pockets.

We aren't talking about the WPBA tour here. We are talking about one tournament where everyone EXCEPT those human beings with a Y Chromosone are allowed to play.

What about all those Chinese women who might like to play in the US Open? The same women who have no desire to play on the WPBA tour??? Why should they be denied?

If the "men" are really so good then they have nothing to fear from the women playing alongside them.

Any tournament that is billed as an OPEN event should allow anyone with an entry fee to play in it.

All I am saying is what WUTANG was saying is that the men don't have much to call their own and the US Open is one of those things that they should have. The women have the US Open thru the WPBA and if you want to play as a woman you can qualify to do that. Also you don't have to play on the full calendar year to play in the woman's US Open. They still hold qualifiers for that.

What is with this constant contest between the women and the men when it comes to pool, major champoinships shouldn't be altered, there are plenty of other tournaments where if you want to play with these men you can. All other sports there is a men's and woman's division and they play. Ex. NBA the woman cannot play so then forms the WNBA and they don't constantly cry to the men that they should be allowed to play for the World Championship in the NBA. Yes I know there has been in the past a small number of women who crossed over for a "brief" moment, but in the end if they could be competitive and stay competitive on a regular basis then things would have merged alot sooner than now. In sports there is levels and divisions, we may not always agree but in the end these divisions are there for a reason.:confused:

inside_english

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where are the female pros?

I know this topic has been discussed many times on the forums, and everyone has strong opinions either way. I think it would be interesting to hear from actual female professionals on this topic. Maybe they have commented in the past in other areas (pool magazines, other websites, etc.), I don't know.

I think CrisDeLaGarza has some interesting opinions having played in Women-only events and having dated a male professional (and she probably played in mixed events too, I don't know). This gives her perspectives on both sides with actual experience in both arenas.

I am not saying her opinions are more or less valid than the men posting here...but it would be very interesting to hear/read what other female professionals have to say.

Would the bulk of them even be interested in playing in "open" events?
For the sake of the various tournaments, it will boost attendance, along with the other benefits of increased sponsorship, coverage and all of that.

It would be cool of someone with access could poll these players to find out where they stand.

I used to play in the Planet Pool Tour, which became the now-defunct Tiger Tour, and the women were allowed to play in the Men's tourney and they had their own tourney on Sundays. To my recollection, no one complained, and it worked out just fine. I suppose part of that could be because the bulk of the male players did not feel threatened by the women.

Anyway, this "debate" could rage on and on, but in the end we are flogging a dead horse until someone with the resources organizes a successful mixed tournament.

JD_Hogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think letting the women play would be great. It would just make it that much more exciting to watch.

Win or lose, the women matching up against the men would be fun to watch.

I hope Barry lets them in.

CrisDeLaGarza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To make the assumption that 95% of men cannot abide by rules of conduct is another leap by you. I have conducted many events with large fields of players and rarely have more than one or two who are disruptive in any way.

I first think of some of our newer young champions, like Oscar Dominguez, Sylver Ochoa, Mitch Ellerman, Shane Van Boening and Beau Runningen. I could go on but I think you get my point.

I have no doubt that many (and I would even say almost all) of the men are very capable of conducting themselves in a professional manner.

Sorry, I was actually referring the the official code of conduct rules we are expected to follow when signing our agreements with the WPBA. The Player handbook includes many things that many of the men would not agree with...for instance, no gambling at the tournaments. I have shown this handbook to Shane before and even he agreed with me that the men would never agree to half of the things in there that, in my opinion, build a classier and more professional event. It's everything from specific dress codes to sanctioning rules to rules on gambling to competition media rights.

jamesroberts

"Unheralded Amateur"
Silver Member
Ahh, hello?... Barry?... This is America, and if you think you can just tell women they cannot participate because they are women, then you are in for a huge surprise, brother...

You better get a lawyer, idiot..

maybe he will get the same lawyer that augusta national uses ...idiot...lol

jamesroberts

"Unheralded Amateur"
Silver Member
I think if you did open this event up to women ,how many would show anyway? its not cheap to go to the open, its right around 2k to go and play.

I know turning stone gets a few women players but I think thats because some of the notable players get there hotel and entry and food paid for. I would play too if that was my option

The seminole tour puts together a nice tour and I can count on one hand how many women have played in the events, so to me this is really a non argument

Look at the other bigger events this year, and years past, how many women play in the super expo, or in vegas. I remember seeing Yu Ram last year in vegas.

I think everyone should take it easy, this is virtually the only tourney that is restricted and women are not flooding the less expensive ones so why would they flood this one.

lady9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I get so tired of hearing "if women get to play in the men's events, men should get to play in women's events". It's obvious that if that happened, men would soon dominate both and women would be left with nothing. It's such a lame argument.

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
I don't see why women would want to play in the U.S. Open anyway.

I mean, the majority of them are used to getting checks that actually CLEAR when they are deposited, right?

Maybe that's a result of being a little more organized them people give them credit for.

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
I think women should be allowed to play in the US Open under the condition that they "retire" from the WPBA for say a minimum of 3 years or so if they cash for a significant amount. Maybe a better word would be 'graduate' I think the worst thing that can happen is that they are allowed to double dip and take prize money from both the men's and women's events.

The whole (logical) argument for a women's only tour is based on skill level, correct? Well, if a B player does well at an open event, he tends to get kicked out of B tournaments. The same should go for women competing in men's events.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1000-1? Come on now Jay. Even I respect their ability more than that. I imagine that the first US Open to allow women will also garner the most women participants which means there will be a whole host of females that might get a cupcake draw, etc..

Real odds might be more in the line of 75-1.

Will you take either side of the bet?

Ken