Women's American 14.1 Championship

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are they going to check the "women players "at the door to make sure they don't have wieners?
We live in a new age.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Since it will be historic how many records can be set?

i think a fast high run is worth noting. Too many of the men players think delaying a loss is a valuable skill.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
The fact is that, despite Jeanette's 152 and Jean's 134, the women's world record run isn't very high. In fact, I think it's in the 60s, and, if memory serves, both Ewa Laurance and Loree Jon Jones both ran in the 60s during the 1992 US Open 14.1 event. Before you pooh pooh this number, you'll want to take into account that, historically, in most women's 14.1 championships, the races were to 75 and it was only in the final that they went to 100. It's quite possible that the women's competitive record has since fallen at either the 1999 National Straight Pool Championships, the 2000 BCA US Open or during the Dragon 14.1 events of 2006-10, or during the women's European 14.1 Championships. but if so, I don't remember it.

The women definitely have a chance to make history if one of them were to make a big run in competition. Wishing them the best of success.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
The fact is that, despite Jeanette's 152 and Jean's 134, the women's world record run isn't very high. In fact, I think it's in the 60s, and, if memory serves, both Ewa Laurance and Loree Jon Jones both ran in the 60s during the 1992 US Open 14.1 event. Before you pooh pooh this number, you'll want to take into account that, historically, in most women's 14.1 championships, the races were to 75 and it was only in the final that they went to 100. It's quite possible that the women's competitive record has since fallen at either the 1999 National Straight Pool Championships, the 2000 BCA US Open or during the Dragon 14.1 events of 2006-10, or during the women's European 14.1 Championships. but if so, I don't remember it.

The women definitely have a chance to make history if one of them were to make a big run in competition. Wishing them the best of success.
I think there's a few women today who, if they devoted enough time to 14.1, can beat Jeanette's and Jean's runs, and the competitive high run. I think Jasmin ran a 100-something in one of the Dragon events.

Siming Chen, Jen Barretta, and Kristina Tkach all come to mind has having the chops to put up big runs.

Here's Kristina with a 123. Patterns aren't perfect, but she runs 123 anyway. Imagine what happens if she devotes a little while to patterns?

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I think there's a few women today who, if they devoted enough time to 14.1, can beat Jeanette's and Jean's runs, and the competitive high run. I think Jasmin ran a 100-something in one of the Dragon events.
I attended all the Dragon events and I think you are mistaken about Jasmin having run 100+, but I know she's had some nice runs at the European Championships --- I just don't know what her best is.

As for the others, are you saying they are all in the field at the American 14.1 Championships in October?

Agreed that several women have the potential to make a big run at 14.1, but where's the motivation? To be honest, with enough training, I think that the Chinese superstars Han Yu and Siming Chen would both run over 200 and maybe even 300.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
I attended all the Dragon events and I think you are mistaken about Jasmin having run 100+, but I know she's had some nice runs at the European Championships --- I just don't know what her best is.

As for the others, are you saying they are all in the field at the American 14.1 Championships in October?

Agreed that several women have the potential to make a big run at 14.1, but where's the motivation? To be honest, with enough training, I think that the Chinese superstars Han Yu and Siming Chen would both run over 200 and maybe even 300.
You are definitely correct on the Dragon event not being 100 - my bad. I think it was in the 90s, and she ran 88 in the same tournament according this post, which is Charlie, so I'll try to verify it from some less interested source. https://forums.azbilliards.com/thre...-for-high-runs-at-predator-world-14-1.111200/.

I believe Kristina will be there - but it's hard to say because the website has them listed as "Expected Players."

And as to your last point - agreed on all fronts, especially with Siming knocking on 800 FRs door. It's sad that the lack of 14.1 competition has robbed us of what the superstars of today would look like if there was any benefit to playing 14.1 as anything other than a practice game except for 1 or 2 events a year at most.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Siming Chen, Jen Barretta, and Kristina Tkach all come to mind has having the chops to put up big runs.

Here's Kristina with a 123. Patterns aren't perfect, but she runs 123 anyway. Imagine what happens if she devotes a little while to patterns?

I didn't watch the whole run but the first rack was terrible.
And I can't watch players that constantly point with their cues.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
I didn't watch the whole run but the first rack was terrible.
And I can't watch players that constantly point with their cues.
And yet, measureman, she ran 123. Agreed the first rack wasn't great, but she got over it later. The patterns weren't stellar throughout the run as previously mentioned, but if that's an inkling of what she's capable of, I'm sure she'd be happy to offer you some lessons when you're ready.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And yet, measureman, she ran 123. Agreed the first rack wasn't great, but she got over it later. The patterns weren't stellar throughout the run as previously mentioned, but if that's an inkling of what she's capable of, I'm sure she'd be happy to offer you some lessons when you're ready.
I've been playing straight pool for 60 years and have many runs around 100 and tons in the 70's and 80's.
It would be a much better 14.1 player then her that could teach me something.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
You are definitely correct on the Dragon event not being 100 - my bad. I think it was in the 90s, and she ran 88 in the same tournament according this post, which is Charlie, so I'll try to verify it from some less interested source. https://forums.azbilliards.com/thre...-for-high-runs-at-predator-world-14-1.111200/.

I believe Kristina will be there - but it's hard to say because the website has them listed as "Expected Players."

And as to your last point - agreed on all fronts, especially with Siming knocking on 800 FRs door. It's sad that the lack of 14.1 competition has robbed us of what the superstars of today would look like if there was any benefit to playing 14.1 as anything other than a practice game except for 1 or 2 events a year at most.
Charlie is a credible source. If he says she ran 90, I'm buying it.

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking forward to the finals of this event, which if things go as they should, would be Tkach against Kelly. Huge dropoff after those two.
I'd have to favor Kristina, she should dominate the safety game and contrary to some other opinions her decision making is fairly advanced for her age and experience. Watch the whole 123 and you may agree (Measureman). And that was about 4 years ago, she's better now.
Kelly has an edge in shot making and match experience though not as much as one might think.
Kristina has constantly been in the trenches the last few years and has a bulletproof stroke.
As far as women putting up big numbers I'd agree the Chinese girls would be capable but can't see Barretta doing much. From what I've seen her rhythm (or lack thereof) isn't conducive to 14.1 and her creativity is lacking also. JMO

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just thought of something. Probably never happen but seeing as they'll all be in Norfolk at the same time what about an exhibition. Josh/Pia vs Fedor/Kristina in Scotch doubles 14.1. Streamed by Accu-stats. I doubt it would make any money, have to be for love of the game, if that exists any more

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Just thought of something. Probably never happen but seeing as they'll all be in Norfolk at the same time what about an exhibition. Josh/Pia vs Fedor/Kristina in Scotch doubles 14.1. Streamed by Accu-stats. I doubt it would make any money, have to be for love of the game, if that exists any more
Might be interesting. Josh/Pia would likely win, but I highly doubt they could beat Albin/Jasmin in scotch doubles straight pool.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Might be interesting. Josh/Pia would likely win, but I highly doubt they could beat Albin/Jasmin in scotch doubles straight pool.
Yes, might be some interesting viewing with any of those 3 doubles teams (J/P, F/K, A/J) playing 14.1. The KillerFillers posted a 211 in a practice session in late December! Earlier, from Roy's Basement, Pia wrote that she didn't really like straight pool but Joshua was insisting that she play it because it would be good for her overall game. Not long after that, she posted a personal high of 73. Then not so long later, from Germany, the duo ran the 211!

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Yes, might be some interesting viewing with any of those 3 doubles teams (J/P, F/K, A/J) playing 14.1. The KillerFillers posted a 211 in a practice session in late December! Earlier, from Roy's Basement, Pia wrote that she didn't really like straight pool but Joshua was insisting that she play it because it would be good for her overall game. Not long after that, she posted a personal high of 73. Then not so long later, from Germany, the duo ran the 211!
That's crazy - I knew of Jen and Thorsten's 141.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thank you. Very entertaining. I'm in a college town and she could sneak up on some unsuspecting college guys with big egos, beer in their belly and daddy's cash in their pocket.