Wood allergies

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I get very severe reactions to Cocobolo.
Would it fair to say that I am allergic all the Rose wood varieties?
I am fine with maple.
Any ideas apart from just keeping well clear of those woods?
Thanks,
Neil

aphelps1

Phelps Custom Cues
Silver Member
The cocobolo really can do a number on me also. the last that I turned was heavy and oily. I was messed up for a week. I don't have a problem with tulipwood (as of yet). So I think it is safe to say that I am not allergic to all rosewoods and probably neither are you Neil.

Just my 2 cents,
Alan

Phelps Custom Cues

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member

Cocobolo gives me herpies......Probably worse than herpies........ I stay away from it if I can but it is so pretty that I have to cut it ocasionally.

Kim

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
u look like Heisenberg , but seriously im gonna invest in a respirator too:thumbup:

Even this getup doesn't completely eliminate the effects.... I still get a little itchy but not much, It does help. I also have an exhaust fan for the fine dust. It really bothers me the worst if it sticks to me where I am sweaty. I got it under my watch and didn't know it ... I couldn't wear my watch for about 2 weeks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Kim

seanjonsean

Otanisan Cues
Silver Member
i wear ear protection not just for noise but dont like dust inside , and safety glasses and try not to wear anything loose fitting around moving parts , and do have a fan that blows away dust , im working on a squirrel fan setup to exhaust wood smell dust fumes etc

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
at first it was just cocobola

then all rosewoods for me. i now use full facemask, then lab coat with rubber gloves, i just had a problen as shown in photo. i was tapering a titlist of unknown wood, and hit it with the sandpaper before the smell really got to my nose. i then knew i was in trouble. the dust had settled on all the sweat on my body,

Attachments

• P8200003.JPG
    P8200003.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 835

Joe Barringer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are not allergic to it now, you will be. It's just a matter of time.

I use to be able to breath and eat cocobolo and now if I look at it, I break out in a rash and itches. It's beautiful stuff but you have to be careful.

aphelps1

Phelps Custom Cues
Silver Member

I use to be able to breath and eat cocobolo and now if I look at it, I break out in a rash and itches. It's beautiful stuff but you have to be careful.
Joe,
I think it has been said there are only 2 types of cue makers. The ones that are allergic to cocobolo and the the ones that will be....

Alan

Phelps Custom Cues

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member

You are right... I was 2 years with no trouble with cocobolo............. then one sweaty day and I was cutting a butt to size and I was itching and red for 2 weeks............ now I have to wear a space suit to even touch it.

I have to say that handling cocobolo always made my hands feel hot........ people thought I was crazy........... now I know why...

Kim

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So it is looking like I need another small shop just for the exotic stuff, and separate from my normal work area.
Thanks for the various inputs.
Neil

Brickcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Used to make a lot of cocobolo cues with no problem then one day started to break out a little. The next time a little more. Got to where I was messed up for a couple of weeks and laid off cocobolo for a couple of years.

Had a guy order one so I tried it again and no problems, just took a nice shower afterwards. Have made a couple with no problem but I will not do more than 1 at a time and I space out the time between cocobolo cues.

Joe Barringer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joe,
I think it has been said there are only 2 types of cue makers. The ones that are allergic to cocobolo and the the ones that will be....

Alan

Phelps Custom Cues

So true! It's our second best exotic seller so I'm always handling it. It's when I cut it where the problem comes in. I don't cut much stuff anymore so it hasn't been an issue.

Spaceman has the right idea but if I had to suit up like that every time I worked, I'd find a new hobby. If you love what you do, then perhaps it's worth the chore. I'm over it.

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
Hi,

Tenth year building cues with no reaction yet.

I will note that I duct my dust collection outside my shop and keep my 2 large 4 " units in a trailer.

Shop vac are not shielding anyone from being exposed unless you do a push pull system the way I see it.

If you are using a shop vac in a confined space(your shop) then the fines that pass your filters are going up you nose. Allergens are measured in PPM. Filters are done in microns.

If you are using a 2 " shop vac suction hose mounted the your tool post then rig up a 4" suction over the discharge of the vac and send it out the shop.

When I was building cues at my pool hall I did the same thing directing exhaust to another area also.

Try it you will like it.

JMO ,

Rick

Last edited:

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member

My first experience with wood toxicity was with purple heart. I cut some on the band saw and felt nauseous for about 4 hours. Not being too smart, a few weeks later I did the same thing. Then I looked up wood toxicity and found out why I got nauseous.

I bought a good 3M mask with VOC filters and I wear it all the time I am in the shop cutting or sanding. No more problems except the cocobolo rash.......... LOL

Kim,