Wood score!

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Thought I'd share some pics of nice Texas mesquite. Gotta mill them up. One is burly. Milled one small log up & got 24 squares. Four more to go. They don't look it, but they are 4.5' long. I had to buck them short like that because of the crooked nature of the tree. There's one more tree to get which will get me 3 logs 8'x24". Hopefully will be scoring some Tx. ebony, too.

And got very lucky to score some kam-phi rosewood, probably the last I will ever find:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
But but there is no need to cut your own wood.
There are plenty of mills.
Wait, who said that?

I'll take 2 and 3 for starters.
Nice score.

FLYINGSNAIL

Koo Cues
Silver Member
Eric

I'll take one of each plus those shaft woods in between those rosewood and Texas ebony its nice also :thumbup:

RBC

Deceased
Wait a minute.... are you in Texas?

If so, you better make time to come and visit!

It won't matter what part of Texas, it's all pretty close to Dallas. ;)

Nice cue building materials, by the way!

Royce

bdcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are actually selling some of these I would take a half dozen of the M.
Thanks

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Wait a minute.... are you in Texas?

If so, you better make time to come and visit!

Kinda sorta ish. Wife is retired from active duty and now working with her native corporation doing gov. contract in Del Rio. Depending on how it goes, I may sell the house here & move to Texas. As of now she's only there temporarily to learn the contracting side of DOD, and then will relocate. So even if I do move to Texas, it'll be temporary. Thinking of buying a hunting ranch, though, so I may end up always visiting TX. I will certainly plan a trip to Dallas for a visit soon, maybe on my trip north this winter.

If you are actually selling some of these I would take a half dozen of the M.
Thanks

They gotta dry yet, but I may let some go once I get it all cut. There's far more than I could ever use. I should get around 150 more squares from the remaining logs, and still have 3 - 8' logs bucked up a ready to load, but I'll need to take the trailer down to get them. Going in two weeks. That'll be a couple hundred more squares. Most likely I will mill some table slabs & furniture lumber, rather than so many turning squares.

Eric

I'll take one of each plus those shaft woods in between those rosewood and Texas ebony its nice also :thumbup:

Those are coring dowels ... jus sayin :lol:

But but there is no need to cut your own wood.
There are plenty of mills.

Oh yeah, crap, I forgot to let somebody else do it for me:grin-square:

Last edited:

bdcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kinda sorta ish. Wife is retired from active duty and now working with her native corporation doing gov. contract in Del Rio. Depending on how it goes, I may sell the house here & move to Texas. As of now she's only there temporarily to learn the contracting side of DOD, and then will relocate. So even if I do move to Texas, it'll be temporary. Thinking of buying a hunting ranch, though, so I may end up always visiting TX. I will certainly plan a trip to Dallas for a visit soon, maybe on my trip north this winter.

They gotta dry yet, but I may let some go once I get it all cut. There's far more than I could ever use. I should get around 150 more squares from the remaining logs, and still have 3 - 8' logs bucked up a ready to load, but I'll need to take the trailer down to get them. Going in two weeks. That'll be a couple hundred more squares. Most likely I will mill some table slabs & furniture lumber, rather than so many turning squares.

shoot me a price I may take more. Don't care if it is dry it will sit here for quite some time anyway.

Big-Tattoo

I'm back
Silver Member
Hi Eric,
I only want one piece of Kamphi Rosewood
The dark waxed middle one in the last row:wink:
Or in a Cue like the Juniper Burl Cue you made me :thumbup:
Ralf

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Hi Eric,
I only want one piece of Kamphi Rosewood
The dark waxed middle one in the last row:wink:
Or in a Cue like the Juniper Burl Cue you made me :thumbup:
Ralf

If you get this wood in a cue, you will want it in the forearm. I love using really pretty figured & colored woods in my cues, so when I get excited about an ugly pumpkin orange wood like this, there's a reason;) Been looking for kamphi for a long time. I got lucky. Also looking for cochen rose, but that's a pipe dream. With rosewoods in my shop, kamphi is king, and Brazilian ranks down around 4th. That's not taking anything away from Braz. It's a fantastic wood. Kamphi is just that much better.

Big-Tattoo

I'm back
Silver Member
If you get this wood in a cue, you will want it in the forearm. I love using really pretty figured & colored woods in my cues, so when I get excited about an ugly pumpkin orange wood like this, there's a reason;) Been looking for kamphi for a long time. I got lucky. Also looking for cochen rose, but that's a pipe dream. With rosewoods in my shop, kamphi is king, and Brazilian ranks down around 4th. That's not taking anything away from Braz. It's a fantastic wood. Kamphi is just that much better.

Okay, take it for an Forearm and buttsleeve ( Cue with points and scallops);)
My Friend here have one with Kam Phi Forearm and quilted maple handle, that plays jam up:thumbup:
Ralf

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Kamphi definitely has a higher and tighter tone. I have 3 kamphi and 3 cochen. To me, cochen is sort of a combination of kamphi and coco.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Kamphi definitely has a higher and tighter tone. I have 3 kamphi and 3 cochen. To me, cochen is sort of a combination of kamphi and coco.

Yeah, that's pretty accurate. Cochen is the better looking, just not quite as tonal. Then again, I have had a few pieces of coco that would rival anything. Even the good coco is getting tough to find nowadays :frown:

Wana get rid of your cochen and kamphi? :grin-square:

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
texas ebony

i got really intersted in texas ebony last year, and bought a some from a texas dealer on wood barter. i was not really impressed. i would like to see some of yours when you get it cut.

chuck

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i got really intersted in texas ebony last year, and bought a some from a texas dealer on wood barter. i was not really impressed. i would like to see some of yours when you get it cut.

chuck

It doesn't look all that great most of the time. I have a few pieces that are very good quality, just not "figured". I would describe it as denser and higher tone but similar to asian ebony. That is just a feeling, nothing scientific. I found it at an exotic wood dealer in Tennessee of all places.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member

chuck

Texas ebony is one of my favorites. The trick is in cutting it. Too many guys try to maximize yield rather than quality, so you end up with lots of sapwood and cracks/checks. I got a few pieces coming in this weekend that is as good as it gets. It ranges in color from looking kinda like the mesquite I just posted, to a very dark chocolate brown. For a domestic wood, it's as good as it gets. I think it's more of a rosewood than an ebony, based on the leaf shape & configuration, and characteristics of the wood, but it's not my job to classify that stuff. There's not much difference between it and African blackwood. It even smells like a rosewood.

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, that's pretty accurate. Cochen is the better looking, just not quite as tonal. Then again, I have had a few pieces of coco that would rival anything. Even the good coco is getting tough to find nowadays :frown:

Wana get rid of your cochen and kamphi? :grin-square:

If I ever do, I will keep you in mind first. I would like to keep them in case I ever get an actual request to use them.

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Texas ebony is one of my favorites. The trick is in cutting it. Too many guys try to maximize yield rather than quality, so you end up with lots of sapwood and cracks/checks. I got a few pieces coming in this weekend that is as good as it gets. It ranges in color from looking kinda like the mesquite I just posted, to a very dark chocolate brown. For a domestic wood, it's as good as it gets. I think it's more of a rosewood than an ebony, based on the leaf shape & configuration, and characteristics of the wood, but it's not my job to classify that stuff. There's not much difference between it and African blackwood. It even smells like a rosewood.

This is mine. If you think about it, I'd be curious to see what your material looks like when you get it.

TexasEbony1.JPG

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Here's a few of mine. Flash brightened them up a lot. They are actually quite a bit darker in person. The bronze undertone takes over with the flash.