Silver Member
1631197288862.png

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is indeed a different way of doing the draw for the final sixteen then I've ever seen before. Typically, the undefeated players would all be paired against a player from the one loss side.

Either way it is somewhat unfair to the undefeated players, since they can now be eliminated with their first loss. That would be the case with either format.

A better way of doing this draw might be to base it on total games won versus total games lost by all the players. Seed the undefeated players first in order of their overall record. Now place the one loss players on the board in the inverse order, with the player having the worst won/loss record paired against the undefeated player with the best record, and continue until the final pairing would be the undefeated player with the worst won/loss record playing the one loss player with the best overall score.

I know this may sound confusing but in actuality it's not. Doing it this way puts an emphasis on overall performance in the tournament to this point. The dominant player who remains undefeated would be paired against the player from the one loss side who struggled the most to get through. And the undefeated player with the lowest won/loss percentage would be playing the one loss player who had played the best up until now.

Yes. Silly rule they have to determine top 8 seeds in Stage 2. Instead of taking performances in Stage 1 to seed, they use a long term metric i.e. WPA ranking (https://wpapool.com/ranking/ ) which has majority of events from 2019 (pre covid-19) that has little relevance to this week's current performance. WPA Ranking or Fargorate ranking should only be used to seed players at start of tournament not in later stages

draww10b.JPG

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
This is indeed a different way of doing the draw for the final sixteen then I've ever seen before. Typically, the undefeated players would all be paired against a player from the one loss side.

Either way it is somewhat unfair to the undefeated players, since they can now be eliminated with their first loss. That would be the case with either format.

A better way of doing this draw might be to base it on total games won versus total games lost by all the players. Seed the undefeated players first in order of their overall record. Now place the one loss players on the board in the inverse order, with the player having the worst won/loss record paired against the undefeated player with the best record, and continue until the final pairing would be the undefeated player with the worst won/loss record playing the one loss player with the best overall score.

I know this may sound confusing but in actuality it's not. Doing it this way puts an emphasis on overall performance in the tournament to this point. The dominant player who remains undefeated would be paired against the player from the one loss side who struggled the most to get through. And the undefeated player with the lowest won/loss percentage would be playing the one loss player who had played the best up until now.
Agreed strongly Jay. Oi vs Ocampo is two from the loser side. Billy T vs Konrad J is two from the winner's side. This event appears to defy normal WPA procedures as I understand them, which are properly applied in the World Pool Championships, the China Open, the US Open, the All-Japan and all Eurotour events.

While I'm very happy to see this event on the calendar, it doesn't have much credibility with me quite yet. The payouts are worthy of a world championship, but a 64 player invitational field filling methodology that clearly omitted some of the stars of the game added to a failure to adhere to the Stage 2 seeding methods always used in multi-stage WPA sanctioned mega-events tell me that this event is still not to be reckoned as one of the truly elite events.

Matchroom quite properly renamed the World 9-ball championship to emphasize what we already know --- there can only be one world champion in a given pool year and, for now, his name is Albin Ouschan.

The World 10-ball Championship may be a truly great event one day, but it's got a way to go in the eyes of this fan, and in some ways, it looks like a mess.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Agreed strongly Jay. Oi vs Ocampo is two from the loser side. Billy T vs Konrad J is two from the winner's side. This event appears to defy normal WPA procedures as I understand them, which are properly applied in the World Pool Championships, the China Open, the US Open, the All-Japan and all Eurotour events.

While I'm very happy to see this event on the calendar, it doesn't have much credibility with me quite yet. The payouts are worthy of a world championship, but a 64 player invitational field filling methodology that clearly omitted some of the stars of the game added to a failure to adhere to the Stage 2 seeding methods always used in multi-stage WPA sanctioned mega-events tell me that this event is still not to be reckoned as one of the truly elite events.

Matchroom quite properly renamed the World 9-ball championship to emphasize what we already know --- there can only be one world champion in a given pool year and, for now, his name is Albin Ouschan.

The World 10-ball Championship may be a truly great event one day, but it's got a way to go in the eyes of this fan, and in some ways, it looks like a mess.
Thank you for your reply Stu. I do not want you or anyone else to construe my criticism of their Stage Two format as a condemnation of the event. On the contrary, I am glad to see yet one more major tournament added to the pool calendar, and an event with 100K added, a purse close to 150K with $35,000 on top certainly qualifies as Major.

The tournament has been well run, directed by longtime TD John Leyman, the equipment is first class, provided by Predator and Diamond, the stream is excellent, directed by the very experienced Vincent Rochforte with commentary by Jeremy Jones (my favorite) and aided by George Teyegea and others.

It would be nice if they could find room at the Rio to have adequate seating for all the people who want to watch these great players. Only the TV table has enough seating currently. All the other tournament tables have minimal seating and standing room only. Shades of DCC. By the way the majority of these fans come from all the amateur players who are competing nearby. For all those who say the "bar league" players don't know and don't care who our top players are, what I see here refutes that allegation. When Shane was on the TV table the place was packed!

Last edited:

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Well if it doesn't have much credibility yet with you, then they might as well end the tournament. LMAO. Stick to 9 Ball.

• Haha
Reactions: sjm

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Wow, Shane is looking more like Shane Van Choking so far this match, he better pull it together.. He hit an inside english shot softly and it threw like you wouldn't believe missing the second to the last ball on what should've been a break and run...

Jaden

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
Wow, Shane is looking more like Shane Van Choking so far this match, he better pull it together.. He hit an inside english shot softly and it threw like you wouldn't believe missing the second to the last ball on what should've been a break and run...

Jaden
He looked deflated before that even... not a good look for a man trying to win something...

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He looked deflated before that even... not a good look for a man trying to win something...
It seems like his frustration tolerance has been poor and getting worse. He’s never been a robot when controlling his emotions, which is fine, but lately when he gets a little frustrated he’ll let tiny little position misses get him flipping his hands and shaking his head, even though he’s fine.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
It seems like his frustration tolerance has been poor and getting worse. He’s never been a robot when controlling his emotions, which is fine, but lately when he gets a little frustrated he’ll let tiny little position misses get him flipping his hands and shaking his head, even though he’s fine.
Can't wait for him to start yelling at fans like Earl 😁

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
Well... he's pumped back up now a little.. from down 0-3 to up 4-3... it ain't over yet though!

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
I'm watching on youtubez...

But I'll have to check back later and see what happens...gotta run for now

sneakynito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe I've been keeping up with pool even less than i thought, and 10 ball has never really been my game, but who the hell are half these people?